It's a WHAT? It's a Predator actually.

Started by PR19_Kit, February 22, 2021, 06:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

The Predator's nearing it's first coat of primer.

All four VTOL engine intakes are in place and the small amount of PSR on them will be sanded shortly. The two intake cones are in place too, and all that's needed before the primer is to cut the damaged fin tip and replace it, and to add a spike to the fairing under the fin. Maybe a cocktail stick tip?

I may add a couple of bang seats too, if only to see if they'll fit. The cockpit hole is quite small............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Very darty shape, well fettled so far though  :thumbsup:

PR19_Kit

Here it is with all the bits and pieces attached. The bang seats needed SERIOUSLY shortening as the cockpit's quite shallow, as will the canopy be when I have it. Luckily the canopy has relatively small windows so you won't be able to see inside too well.

The first primer coat goes on tomorrow and then I expect more PSR will be required, as usual.................. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

Now the Predator's got some paint on it, and no, it's not going to be the final scheme. RAF fighters in those days were camo'd green and grey, and as this is the prototype it'll be all over NMF.

As expected the primer coat has shown up a number of areas that need more PSR, plus some panel and control surface lines that need enhancing, but that was only to be expected really.

I think it's starting to look quite good, but them I'm a bit biased, I'm building it!

On the negative side the toothpick tailcone has now fallen off THREE times, so I don't think that's a goer. I'll drill a small hole in the tail, glue some piano wire in there and putty it to death I think.

Regards
Kit

Gondor

I think I shall have to poke the supplier with a pointy stick or something as despite several reassurances, all I have so far is the fuselage of mine.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Rick Lowe

It's understandable you'd be biased, Kit - otherwise the thing wouldn't be in the collection, let alone being built, now would it?  ;D

PR19_Kit

It's just my sort of aeroplane from a period when I was heavily aware of what was happening in that world.

And the fact that it's an RW Whiff makes it all the more attractive.  ;D

Regards
Kit

PR19_Kit

And now the Predator's a bit smoother, I've sanded the whole thing down with 400 grit W&D and it even feels OK now,

I was just about to plug it onto it's painting jig and give it an initial coat of Ford Strato Silver when the fin broke off, for the THIRD time!  :banghead:  :banghead:

They just don't make superglue like they used to.

It's taped and glued into position now and I'll give it the silver in about 30 mins.....

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Have you tried gluing it with that U.V. activated glue Kit? I have noticed just how rubbish super blue has become too.
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

PR19_Kit

Afraid not, no Chris. I haven't got any, but it's stuck back on again OK for now, with Gorilla Gel Superglue.

And it's also painted SILVER as well.  :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

chrisonord

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 18, 2024, 10:12:48 AMAfraid not, no Chris. I haven't got any, but it's stuck back on again OK for now, with Gorilla Gel Superglue.

And it's also painted SILVER as well.  :thumbsup:
Hopefully this time it stays put for you. :thumbsup:
The dogs philosophy on life.
If you cant eat it hump it or fight it,
Pee on it and walk away!!

NARSES2

I have got some "Dental Glue" that you use with a U.V. Torch and that's good, but I've also gone back to utilising 2 part epoxy for "serious" joins. The 15 minute stuff is no real hassle and you can trust the bond (touching wood  :angel: )
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

And now available in CHROME!  ;D

Needs a fair amount of differential silver painting, but it's looking more like the 'real' thing did.

Regards
Kit