I think I may be in.....

Started by kitbasher, February 23, 2021, 02:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Thanks Chris, let me check and I'll PM later.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rick Lowe

I happened upon a 'Beware of Dog' sign in a Hardware store, which is made from about .5mm aluminum sheet (flat, not embossed).
Easy to cut and an average A5 sized sign would provide material for ages.

Just a thought.

kitbasher

Thanks for the positive (and helpful) feedback, chaps.  The rotor suggestions have all come in handy!

Minor calamity this evening.  Having spent much of the day with 1:1 kitchen PSR and painting, decided to spend 5 mins on the Dragonfly to further improve  the rotors.  I was happy with the width and length, and the thickness of attempt 2 rotors was much better than the first.  Applied some liquid poly to improve the adhesion to the 'rotor hub' and but instead succeeded in melting the joint.   :banghead:

Off they've come.  Fortunately I've the remains of an Airwaves etched brass set (the only one I've ever used, and was put off using etched brass again), so have cut a new rotor out of the fret's edging.  Another tomorrow and will ensure the leading and trailing edges get smoothed off before attaching them.

The irony's not lost - metal rotor blades on this kitbash when, were it real, they'd very likely be carbon fibre or some sort of plastic.

Onwards and, well, sideways just now!
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Rick Lowe

Yeah, sympathies. I have done similar, and had a few near disasters too. :banghead:

PR19_Kit

Quote from: kitbasher on March 04, 2021, 03:34:13 PM

Onwards and, well, sideways just now!

Sideways is fine, it's a helicopter after all.  ;D :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: kitbasher on March 04, 2021, 03:34:13 PM
Fortunately I've the remains of an Airwaves etched brass set (the only one I've ever used, and was put off using etched brass again), so have cut a new rotor out of the fret's edging. 

Why I very seldom throw things away  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Replacement Dragonfly rotors V3.0 sorted out - all of the above advice heeded, new rotors still to be attached.

Dragonfly fuselage and the Firefly have been primed, coats of white to follow.  Decals designed, need to check they're the right size and adjust as necessary.

kitbasher

Decal sizes sorted out, to be printed over the weekend.  Some gloss white applied to the Firefly and the Dragonfly ready for the decals.  Once these are applied and set I can crack on with painting and apply rotors v3.0 to the Dragonfly.

kitbasher

Decals done and on the Dragonfly, will attach the rotors next.  Needed to print off two more for the Hoverfly so they should be applied tomorrow.

kitbasher

First day back chopping plastic for some time, been dealing with household priorities (inc a lot of decorating!).  Progress of sorts with both builds (for heaven's sake I should have got both done within the first week of the GB!!); decals were applied but not happy with them.  Had some printer issues and then ran out of decent paper.  So, printed them on some lesser quality decal paper - print quality was good but the paper is rather thick.  Also the resultant decals need to be 'fixed' with clear polyurethane, which worsened matters and dried slightly yellow.  This is what they look like so far:

Not happy with the results (note it's just undercoat on the Firefly).  New decal paper was ordered and replacement decals have been printed off for several builds - adjusted the printer settings and much happier with the results.  Letting the paper dry overnight before treating it with Liquid Decal Film.  Meanwhile remove the old decals and in a couple of days do some repainting and apply the new decals.  Oh yeah, the rotors to the Dragonfly as well!

At least the pics give some indication as to how the finished items will hopefully turn out.

Captain Canada

Great idea ! Those look awesome. Especially the fire drone.
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

NARSES2

To late now I know, but the colour of the fire drone's transfers look fine to me, give it a well used look.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

thanks chaps.

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 02, 2021, 06:21:54 AM
To late now I know, but the colour of the fire drone's transfers look fine to me, give it a well used look.

Cheers Chris, wasn't the colour, rather the thickness of the decals I was unhappy with.  Anyway, replacements made and most now attached.  Wouldn't claim they're perfect but I'm satisfied that they're a vast improvement.  All down to the quality of the decal paper (and some adjustments to the printer settings).

NARSES2

Ah right.

You could of always said you were setting the trend with your new range of "3 D Decals" which seem to be the thing at the moment. Mind you I got some seat belts to see, and they do look quite good. Not as fiddly as etch either.