The Wooksta's Mosquito Blog comments thread

Started by The Wooksta!, March 02, 2021, 06:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogfighterZen

I also agree that research is important in modelling, even for what-ifs. The Portuguese modelling community can be very hard on poorly researched real world builds of AM/AN or PoAF models so they are especially critical of what-ifs and that has made me try to do the most i can to get the historical facts right before showing any of my builds on portuguese forums or facebook groups even when they're real world models, although i haven't built many of those.
I also like to see a well researched build of both RW or whifs so i understand and respect the criticism to a certain point but when it comes to letting the imagination run free, it's all fair game cause, in the end, they're just plastic models and not everyone has the time or patience to do in-depth research so i sometimes feel like they're are way too many JMNs in the Portuguese modelling community.

Quote from: The Wooksta! on March 07, 2021, 04:55:19 AM
People just need to do the research themselves. It's rewarding in and of itself.  I can see why some people get so wrapped up in it and just don't want to do whiffery.  The more hardcore say it's because whiffery screws reality, or cheapens it.  One guy I overheard at 'udderfield Show a few years back said it was "insulting the dead"...  I just think he's an unimaginative f***tard.

I especially agree with this. There's so much you can learn from the various sources and i've learned quite a bit about my country's history from the research i do for Portuguese whifs. The part about "insulting the dead"... yep, just a freaking blockhead. ;D
I've had ex-PoAF pilots and mechanics commenting on my whifs and all of them were very open-minded about them and it was enough for us to engage in long and enriching conversations of what was, what almost was and what could have been so, i've learned to simply laugh on JMNs' faces when they try to get me pissed with their stupid comments, especially because all of them were people who were never involved with the matters in question, simply frustrated wannabes who never had anything to do with the matters in question.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

kitbasher

Very interesting Plan, Lee. Have been dipping in and out of the blog but the pic of all those four-blade prop Mossies has really piqued my interest, such that I'll reread all from the start.

The Xtradecal sheet you mentioned: hmm, could have been a bit more interesting, methinks.  The final subject with the radome is to me by far the best of the bunch.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

Must admit I'm fascinated by some of the colour possibilities for the ones that went out East.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

The Wooksta!

I'm also open to the possibility that other than the roundels they were never repainted and the colours have faded after 18 months under the harsh Australian sun.

Interestingly, there's a photo of one of the Mosquito Highball ships during the trials against ground targets at Astley Walk and it does appear to have four blade props and this is well before the decision to send them to the far East.  In addition, I've found mention of another of the highball aircraft that was retained in the UK for trials work, DZ579/G, and was lost with both crew after being hit by splashback.

Quote from: kitbasher on April 26, 2021, 07:19:58 AM
The Xtradecal sheet you mentioned: hmm, could have been a bit more interesting, methinks.  The final subject with the radome is to me by far the best of the bunch.

I was somewhat underwhelmed, I must admit, although most of the B.16s are generally in the same scheme. Wartime certainly.  It's post war when it starts to get interesting and the oddball units and short lived schemes are a lot more lively.

Of those on the sheet, the 617 Sqn option is interesting as they had relatively few Mosquitoes and only used for target marking/pathfinder duties, and I like the 109 Sqn option for the nice splash of colour.  The CBE aircraft in the MSG/Night scheme is the best of the bunch and I have a photo of one of their T3s in a similar scheme, albeit with a darker grey on top.

I had thought that one or both of the 128 Sqn options was on the old ADS sheet (I have several tucked away and an option on another), but the serials are different.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

kitbasher

Quote from: kitbasher on April 26, 2021, 07:19:58 AM
Very interesting Plan, Lee. Have been dipping in and out of the blog but the pic of all those four-blade prop Mossies has really piqued my interest, such that I'll reread all from the start.

So, briefly went back to page one.  Not noticed it until today but there's plenty of four-blade prop Mossies lined up in the sun in the first photo.  Definitely cause for a much closer read when I get back to a PC.

Thanks for all of this, Lee.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

The Wooksta!

The four blade ones are the Highball aircraft, the two in the foreground are the PR.16s. all the others are the twelve FB.6s allocated for continuation training. No point in risking valuable Highball aircraft if you're just flying about. IIRC, they lost one in a mid air explosion and crashed another two.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

Quote from: The Wooksta! on April 27, 2021, 05:40:11 AM
The four blade ones are the Highball aircraft, the two in the foreground are the PR.16s. all the others are the twelve FB.6s allocated for continuation training. No point in risking valuable Highball aircraft if you're just flying about. IIRC, they lost one in a mid air explosion and crashed another two.

Ta, Lee

kitbasher

Has that production list I sent been of help, Lee, or did you already have one (or similar)?

The Wooksta!

I've been using a text file I downloaded weeks ago, I linked to it in an earlier post. IIRC I couldn't open the one you sent.

The text file is useful just a shade too short on info and could do with some reformatting.

In other news, I've found a photo of another Highball aircraft, one of the ex-Servant aircraft after reversion to bomber and issue to 627 sqn. Also an indistinct photo that might be DZ543 turned up. A look on the Secret Projects forum also yielded photos of the crash of DZ579 and the Highball Avenger.  I have a part started Academy one that was slated for disposal. Not any longer... BPF, natch.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

I've located a photo of one of the 4 aircraft that 618 borrowed from 139 Sqn prior to getting their Highball aircraft.  It's not a photo of the aircraft per se, rather the aircraft is hiding in plain sight in a line up of 139 sqn aircraft.  DZ423 XD-T.  It's not to far in that the serial is unreadable, although you do have to squint a bit.

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

kitbasher

Interestinger and interestinger.

The Mossie in the foreground appears to have had the panels immediately behind the cannon troughs removed but to what end?  As for colour schemes, the one in the background doesn't appear to be in the NF scheme.

Yes Wisley's history - snippets at http://www.ukairfieldguide.net/airfields/Wisley

Keep delving, Lee, this is top stuff.

BTW your profile summary still includes
http://www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic,34762.0.ht which no longer links back to the forum.

The Wooksta!

The doors behind the cannon bay have been removed prior to fitting the Highball equipment.  The aircraft looks too new to be after the equipment has been removed and the cannon ports have yet to be faired over, probably with fabric.

The one in the hangar.  No, definitely not in the night fighter scheme, but what is it?  The top colour on the fuselage (that we can see) is dark, but if it's a Sea Mosquito, the spinner would either be in black or EDSG and it appears to be lighter than the fuselage.  Ocean Grey?  If that's the case, it could well be B.IV DZ579 and there's a lighter patch on the fuselage upper that *may* be light glinting off the port nose glazing

Photo taken somewhere from April 45 onwards, although I'm not sure quite when.  Spring/summer 45 seem likely given the bright sunshine apparent in the photo.  IF the aircraft in the hangar is DZ579 then the photo must be before October as it was destroyed in a crash during a test that killed the crew.  The history from the production list is as follows:

DZ579   FBIV   618/MAEE   Splash from drop test hit tail, lost wing and dived into sea, Machir Bay Islay 25.10.45

Actually, I'll stick my neck out and state that the one in the hangar is definitely DZ579.  Why?  PZ281 was competed "Between 16-5-1944 and 19-6-1945", according to Mossie.org but most likely near the earlier of these dates, as FB.VI aircraft with serials close to that were delivered to 618 Sqn in July '44 as continuation trainers.

Mossie.org has the following for PZ281:
16-4-1945 to 12-3-1948, Vickers, Highball development (Mosquito, Sharp, C.M. & Bowyer, M.J.F. p464)

With an April date for delivery, I'm going to suggest that the photo was taken in the last week of the month when they started work on converting it to Highball configuration.

As for TW228 and TW230, the production list reveals little, other than the former was sold in '53 and the latter is simply a blank:
TW228   TR33   RN   Sold
TW230   TR33   RN   
Mossie.org has both aircraft being delivered "between 1946-1947" which is less than helpful.  Or perhaps not. With an estimated April 45 date for the photo of PZ281 and 1946 delivery of the Sea Mosquitoes, we know whatever is in that hangar, it ISN'T the Sea Mosquitoes.  If it's not DZ579, then it's the other modified B.IV that 618 didn't take, DZ541, and the history for that is as follows:

DZ541   FBIV   618/AAEE   To 6500M 12.4.48

Elsewhere, DZ541 is listed as one of the Highball aircraft that went through Marshalls at Cambridge, getting new engines with four blade props, armour (that blanked off access to the nose from the cockpit) and navalisation gear.

I'm not entirely sure how many Sea Mosquitoes the Isrealis bought, but they were all in the early range.  Did they get TW228 after the trials were completed and the Highball gear removed?

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan:

The Wooksta!

"Visit Scarfolk today!"

The Plan: