Call for 2021/2022 GB Suggestions

Started by NARSES2, March 06, 2021, 06:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Gravity.

Gliders don't have engines and they fly pretty well.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Quote from: scooter on March 09, 2021, 12:20:00 PM
Quote from: loupgarou on March 09, 2021, 12:15:12 PM
Quote from: kitbasher on March 09, 2021, 09:12:04 AM
Quote from: crudebuteffective on March 09, 2021, 08:57:00 AM
alternative jet timelines

jets were invented before monoplanes so you get jet engined biplanes

jets came after swept wings so you get prop driven delta or swing wing

the jet engine never existed you get prop driven A10 OR 747 etc

DOES THIS MAKE SENSE

I think this could be merged with my earlier suggestion 'Piston Perfection GB - a rerun of the 2008 GB.  It's got jets?  Not in Whifworld.  It's got piston engines?  Nope, not here!'

Beg your pardon, I continue NOT to understand. "It's got jets?  Not in Whifworld" so no jet engines. "It's got piston engines?  Nope, not here!" so no piston engines. And then??? What propulsion form would be allowed?

Steam?  Muscle?  Magic?

My not understanding is why the proposed GB is called "Piston perfection", THEN the same line says "It's got piston engines?  Nope, not here!".
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kitbasher

Please see earlier post explaining that I successfully confused/persuaded myself that 'Piston Perfection' was an engine swap GB (because of one of my entries) when it's nothing of the sort.  D'oh!

What I was trying to get across in my original post was that if a powered aircraft in the real world had piston engines, in whif world it'd have something else (jets, turboprops, maybe no engines), the reverse if a turbine-engined aircraft (or indeed a glider).

My dull moment was not remembering what Piston Perfection was actually about, when all I was doing was trying to align with crudebuteffective's 'alternative jet timelines' suggestion.

What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 09, 2021, 08:38:06 AM
Quote from: McColm on March 09, 2021, 08:15:32 AM

Car estates/shooting brakes/station wagons that never went into production.
This includes all the concept designs that never made it into a full run production . This excludes Tor cars and Crayford cars, small design companies such as the Lynx Eventer.
Examples would be the Rover P5 and P6 estates these are excluded but the Rover SD1 estate would be included. Hatchbacks and fastbacks are excluded as well.
I will except any Ford Mustang after 1970 as there's a few Mustang station wagons based on the early models.

There were only two P5 estates, and there was only one SD1 estate, AFAIK. Why the difference in your classification?
Sorry Kit I got confused with the Rover P5 Hearse,  yes the P5 estate can be included.

loupgarou

Quote from: kitbasher on March 09, 2021, 03:21:59 PM
Please see earlier post explaining that I successfully confused/persuaded myself that 'Piston Perfection' was an engine swap GB (because of one of my entries) when it's nothing of the sort.  D'oh!

What I was trying to get across in my original post was that if a powered aircraft in the real world had piston engines, in whif world it'd have something else (jets, turboprops, maybe no engines), the reverse if a turbine-engined aircraft (or indeed a glider).

My dull moment was not remembering what Piston Perfection was actually about, when all I was doing was trying to align with crudebuteffective's 'alternative jet timelines' suggestion.

OK, I was referring to your original post (page 1) and to me your formulation was quite confusing. I hope Narses can unravel matters.  <_<
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

Personally, I like the "Comics/Cartoon" topic. There are many vehicles and "things" that can be drawn from these sources, or real things that might be modified to fit into such universes. There's also animation and anime involved - Gerry Anderson and lots of mecha might become eligible, too.

The "Sub Zero" theme is also nice, not only from a construction point of view, you also have the option of winter liveries/weathering - also a neat challenge.

Personally, I'd (again) throw an "Africa" theme into the discussion. There was an "Aussierama" GB a while ago, and I think that Africa is creatively pretty under-represented, while offering a lot of hooks like WWII, obscure armed forces or Wakanda.  ;)

kitbasher

Yes, apologies again for that, loupgarou.  The intent was:

Piston Perfection GB - a rerun of the 2008 GB.  It's got jets?  Not in Whifworld, it's got propellors.  It's got piston engines?  Nope, not here, it's got jets!

And as mentioned, I did a Dubya and misunderrepresented what the 2008 PP GB was all about.

Have now edited it.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

McColm

Rail launched aircraft
Rail cars/wagons converted into launch pads for fighter or bomber aircraft.

V/STOL submarines
A spinoff from flying submarines,  having V/STOL capabilities similar to that of the Ekranoplan.

Formula One rally cars
A madcap idea combination of a Formula One car doing a rally stage in the Welsh countryside.

Howard of Effingham

I have no suggestions for a Group Build.... :wacko:
Keeper of George the Cat.

The Wooksta!

I was going to suggest a Mosquito one, what with the new Airfix one due at some point in the next year, but that's a bit limiting. How about a De Havilland one instead, as that means anything built by the company in the UK, Australia and Canada. And it could be stretched a tad to include anything by Airspeed, as they were owned by De Havilland.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Mossie

Airco too, DH was basically the same firm.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

Shortened aircraft
The Boeing 747 was shortened to the Boeing 747 SP, so what about shortening the fuselage of the B-52 or B-36? I'm not too sure why you should need to but the variants in the military and civilian aircraft could be a head turner .
It works for the Airfix BAe Nimrod as I removed a section forward of the wings and at the rear in my attempt to civilianize it.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: McColm on March 11, 2021, 10:49:38 AM

Shortened aircraft
The Boeing 747 was shortened to the Boeing 747 SP, so what about shortening the fuselage of the B-52 or B-36? I'm not too sure why you should need to but the variants in the military and civilian aircraft could be a head turner .
It works for the Airfix BAe Nimrod as I removed a section forward of the wings and at the rear in my attempt to civilianize it.

I like it.  :thumbsup:  ;D ;)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Flyer

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 11, 2021, 12:08:00 PM
Quote from: McColm on March 11, 2021, 10:49:38 AM

Shortened aircraft

I like it.  :thumbsup:  ;D ;)

The size of the wing compared to the tailplane almost make's that a canard  :o
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

PR19_Kit

The wings actually ARE tailplanes. They're the full size DC9 tailplanes, whereas the tailplanes on that model have been sawn down quite a bit.

Regards
Kit