wulfe Hound - captured B 17

Started by Popeye, March 19, 2021, 06:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Popeye

I've been away for a while.  I like the site,  the goals and subjects,  but felt that I would have a hard time coming up with a suitable topic to show here.  time does have a way of leading one to these types of subjects.......even if one doesn't realize it.  I got into a binge of B 17's starting with the Lindberg kit......I loved the scale size of the model.  not long after I had started on it,  I heard of the Nine o' Nine crash at Bradley field,  in Connecticut.........I tossed out the fictitious decals that came with the kit,  and found a set for the Nine o' Nine.  doing research on the plane,  I happened on the subject of captured aircraft during WWII..........and the secret German Luftwaffe KG 200.  at any one time during the KG 200's existence, they captured,  repaired and flew,  around 20 B 17's,  along with a number of other captured aircraft.  the first plane recorded to have been captured and flown,  was the Wulfe Hound,  captured crashed in a French field in 1943 {don't quote me....I'm flying without my notes}.  most of the KG 200's missions were reconnaissance and covert transport of saboteurs into enemy territory,  but some missions involved bombing naval pens too.......there was another secret unit that handled the bulk of those missions.  there wasn't too much to do,  as far as modifying the kit,  which was a 1:72 Revell kit.....the only change was the elimination of the belly turret.  it was damaged beyond use in the crash and at the time,  the Germans didn't have the replacement part to repair it.  they would utilize and cannibalize future captured planes to keep them flying.

unfortunately,  I'll have to read about posting pictures :(

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Popeye

thanks.......just looked at my profile and was amazed with the last time I looked in here.   I'm so bad :(   I guess my big problem with posting pictures,  looks like the fact that I don't use hosting sites.....I store all my pictures.  I had bad experiences with those sites,  so I keep them in memory sticks.  my son just gave me his old external hard drive,  so I might transfer all my pictures to it.  usually,  I dabble with wood models......ships and planes.  they are very easy to replicate...I just save the parts panel billets,  trace the parts on a sheet of thin plywood {or equivalent basswood sheet},  and cut them out.  I can make other hulls from one kit.  then I fit them out as I like.  lately though,  I seem to amass a small stash of plastic kits......of course,  going to oldmodelkits as much as I do,  doesn't help matters much ;)
   I've dealt with a site format like this in the past.......this is the first one that has me baffled.  is there another way to add attachments?  I'd really like to show some examples of what I do  ;)

dumaniac

Yeah Popeye - I am hearin' you. I have no idea on how to post pics either. I don't use those sites either. All my pics are on the computer hard drive.

Flyer

I remember having a Commando comic many year's ago that featured a captured B-17 that the Germans would join formations of American bombers with, shoot down a few and dive into the clouds before the crews could figure out what's happening.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Rick Lowe

There was also a novel back in the day (1977, Goggle tells me...yikes!) where the Germans had amassed a full box-worth for a secret mission...
https://www.amazon.com/Kg-200-J-D-Gilman/dp/0380391155

Scotaidh

Quote from: Flyer on March 20, 2021, 02:39:09 AM
I remember having a Commando comic many year's ago that featured a captured B-17 that the Germans would join formations of American bombers with, shoot down a few and dive into the clouds before the crews could figure out what's happening.

I had one of those, once, but it was a Lancaster.  The pilot was Dutch.  He shot the crew, one by one, but only wounded the tail gunner, who managed to parachute away.  The aircraft then was painted with a flourescent paint so it'd glow, the weapons replaced with 20mm, and the Dutchman, Anders, was then told he'd be flying it as a night-fighter.  He was not happy - he'd wanted to just be paid and slip away to somewhere he could live out his days in luxury, but the Nazis had other plans. 

On his first night out, Anders got out of his sector, and was almost shot down by a regular night-fighter.  But then he did it again, and this time he was shot down.   

I always thought that a funny sort of morality story - mess with Britain, and we'll have the Nazis kill you.  ;)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 29, 2021, 04:29:24 AM

I had one of those, once, but it was a Lancaster.  The pilot was Dutch.  He shot the crew, one by one, but only wounded the tail gunner, who managed to parachute away.  The aircraft then was painted with a flourescent paint so it'd glow, the weapons replaced with 20mm, and the Dutchman, Anders, was then told he'd be flying it as a night-fighter.  He was not happy - he'd wanted to just be paid and slip away to somewhere he could live out his days in luxury, but the Nazis had other plans. 

On his first night out, Anders got out of his sector, and was almost shot down by a regular night-fighter.  But then he did it again, and this time he was shot down.   

I always thought that a funny sort of morality story - mess with Britain, and we'll have the Nazis kill you.  ;)

And is his spirit doomed to fly the skies forever, never able to land?
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

Quote from: zenrat on March 30, 2021, 04:37:18 AM

:D  I don't thinks so - that'd be pretty deep for a "Commando"- type magazine (strictly pulp fiction for boys). 

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Flyer

Slightly off topic, I also had another commando comic that featured a captured spitfire put to use by the Germans to down Lancaster's, gunners in the Lancaster's got so jumpy that they were shooting at any Spitfire's that came near, which is exactly what the Germans wanted.
"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

Snowtrooper

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 30, 2021, 05:04:42 AM

:D  I don't thinks so - that'd be pretty deep for a "Commando"- type magazine (strictly pulp fiction for boys).
The old issues of Commando did have some pretty off the wall plots. One story in particular had shapeshifting aliens fighting in human disguise on German and British sides both. Also the Germans used to have death rays, secret moon bases and whatnot back in the day. So yeah, maybe a straight-up ghost story is slightly out of place, as it does not have a science-y type of explanation.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Snowtrooper on March 30, 2021, 01:13:28 PM

The old issues of Commando did have some pretty off the wall plots. One story in particular had shapeshifting aliens fighting in human disguise on German and British sides both. Also the Germans used to have death rays, secret moon bases and whatnot back in the day. So yeah, maybe a straight-up ghost story is slightly out of place, as it does not have a science-y type of explanation.

There again, AIUI they've changed a lot recently, now we're in the 'Brave New World' and a lot of the subject matter isn't acceptable any longer...

zenrat

I dunno.  I thought they would be familiar with The Flying Dutchman.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Scotaidh

Quote from: zenrat on March 31, 2021, 04:15:41 AM

I dunno.  I thought they would be familiar with The Flying Dutchman.

Of that I've no doubt, Fred, so far as the staff of Commando were concerned.  Their target clientele. though?  Ah hae m' doots.

NARSES2

I first read things like Commando back in the early 60's when they were simply lengthened versions of the stories you read in Victor etc every week. Straight forward, simple WWII War stories. It all appears to have got a lot more complicated since  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.