A request for ideas...........

Started by Rheged, March 26, 2021, 09:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Scotaidh on March 27, 2021, 06:06:07 AM
I think I'd be getting high-pressure water pumps on the scene asap.  The ones the Egyptian Army used to wash away the Israeli Sinai sand wall would seem to have the power and capacity necessary.  Looking at that overhead picture, the ship seems to be stuck on something that should have been dredged away anyway, so it's not as if they'd be weakening the canal wall.

It's stuck in the wall, and the channel sides aren't vertical. The FT article I linked up the page gives the details
and the mechanics.

NARSES2

I keep wondering what the Pharaohs would have done ?  :angel:

Mind you as we haven't had a really good conspiracy theory yet and having just read Hannant's newsletter intro regarding the cost of containers  :o I reckon it's a plot by the world's shipping magnates and conglomerates to drive the price of containers up even farther  ;)

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 28, 2021, 05:47:48 AM

Mind you as we haven't had a really good conspiracy theory yet and having just read Hannant's newsletter intro regarding the cost of containers  :o I reckon it's a plot by the world's shipping magnates and conglomerates to drive the price of containers up even farther  ;)

They have to do something, people keep buying them to use as small houses - that can't go on, they'll run out of them to put on these increasingly-large ships...!

Hobbes

Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 28, 2021, 01:44:27 PM

They have to do something, people keep buying them to use as small houses - that can't go on, they'll run out of them to put on these increasingly-large ships...!

China started a bidding war on used containers when their economy started up last summer - while everywhere else was still in lockdown. So lots of containers stuck in ports and on company premises waiting to be unloaded.

I don't think container homes are big enough of a market to matter. A large port like Rotterdam ships 8 million containers per year. That's slightly more than 1 container ship the size of Ever Given, per day.

scooter

Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on March 29, 2021, 05:19:35 AM
Quote from: scooter on March 27, 2021, 07:44:48 AM
Is the ship still stuck

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2021, 08:53:30 AM
Yes...............

Its been upgraded to "Sort of".

Nicely put Scoot  :thumbsup: ;D

Apparently the bow still is and they are hoping that the next high tide will release it.

I assume these high tides are Red Sea tides as the Mediterranean's are very limited in range ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 29, 2021, 06:19:48 AM

I assume these high tides are Red Sea tides as the Mediterranean's are very limited in range ?

Plus the Meds tides would have to fight their way through the rest of the Canal from the other end. A choke point if ever I saw one.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Rheged

Quote from: scooter on March 29, 2021, 05:19:35 AM
Quote from: scooter on March 27, 2021, 07:44:48 AM
Is the ship still stuck

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 27, 2021, 08:53:30 AM
Yes...............

Its been upgraded to "Sort of".

Latest bulletin is that it is "freed"  and towed to a location out of the main channel for inspection.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

It's going to the Great Bitter Lake, about 2/3 of the way down the Canal from the Med. I guess that's the nearest place they can park it that's big enough to examine it properly.

Regards
Kit

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Hobbes on March 29, 2021, 04:15:43 AM
Quote from: Rick Lowe on March 28, 2021, 01:44:27 PM

China started a bidding war on used containers when their economy started up last summer - while everywhere else was still in lockdown. So lots of containers stuck in ports and on company premises waiting to be unloaded.

I don't think container homes are big enough of a market to matter. A large port like Rotterdam ships 8 million containers per year. That's slightly more than 1 container ship the size of Ever Given, per day.

I know, I was trying for Ironic... or Sarcastic, I can't tell the difference sometimes... ;D

NARSES2

Wonder what's going to happen to the Captain and Pilot ?  :angel:

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on March 30, 2021, 05:56:48 AM
Wonder what's going to happen to the Captain and Pilot ?  :angel:

From Washington Post:

Investigators are likely to examine the performance of the two Egyptian canal pilots aboard the Ever Given and their relationship with the ship's captain.

Were there any communications problems? How experienced were the pilots and the captain in navigating the canal? And what challenges did they face in moving a ship of such massive size — as big as the Empire State Building and near the maximum size allowed in the canal — along a single-lane artery of the waterway?

A high-ranking canal pilot working for the Suez Canal Authority said the two pilots aboard the Ever Given were both senior chief pilots with 30-plus years of experience. "They had the experience and qualifications to guide this ship," he said.

The senior pilot said the job of navigating ships through canals had become more taxing in recent years. The vessels today are much larger and carry more cargo than those traversing the canal in the 1990s. Back then, he recalled, an oil tanker had blocked the canal and a single tugboat towed the vessel and cleared the waterway.

"The ships today are bigger than they used to be," the pilot said. "This is something new. We haven't seen this before."

Strong winds, he said, could have easily propelled the Ever Given toward the bank, leaving the canal blocked. "This is something that happens to massive ships of this kind," said the senior pilot, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment to the media. "They can run aground when winds exceed 30 or 40 knots."

He noted that canal pilots have guided the Ever Given through the canal before. "The ship has crossed the Suez Canal previous times but never under such weather conditions," he said.
Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx

PR19_Kit

Quote from: scooter on March 30, 2021, 06:23:10 AM

Strong winds, he said, could have easily propelled the Ever Given toward the bank, leaving the canal blocked. "This is something that happens to massive ships of this kind," said the senior pilot, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment to the media. "They can run aground when winds exceed 30 or 40 knots."

Isn't that what rudders and bow thruster are for? It's called 'steering'..............

If the wind's too strong for ships that size, DON'T let them use the canal, simples.

Regards
Kit