A request for ideas...........

Started by Rheged, March 26, 2021, 09:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Cheers Scoot.

I must admit looking at pictures of the thing fully loaded it must be extremely difficult to control when there's a strong wind blowing side on. Like a giant sail.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 30, 2021, 06:30:27 AM
Quote from: scooter on March 30, 2021, 06:23:10 AM

Strong winds, he said, could have easily propelled the Ever Given toward the bank, leaving the canal blocked. "This is something that happens to massive ships of this kind," said the senior pilot, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to comment to the media. "They can run aground when winds exceed 30 or 40 knots."

Isn't that what rudders and bow thruster are for? It's called 'steering'..............

If the wind's too strong for ships that size, DON'T let them use the canal, simples.

The Financial Times article makes it clear what the issues are with these ever growing
mega-container ships.

The windage is a major problem - the 2019 accident when Ever Given hit a small ferry
on the Elbe near Hamburg was blamed on high winds, plus at the low speed they're making
while transiting the canal the rudder is much less effective.

The bow thrusters are only really used for very low speed maneuvering while berthing
after the tug(s) have moved the ship into position, they don't work to steer the ship
while under way as bow-thrusters are not designed for that purpose. In order to be
used for steering the thrusters would have to be much larger and much more powerful.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 31, 2021, 10:13:34 AM

In order to beused for steering the thrusters would have to be much larger and much more powerful.

Sounds like they're going to  need to do just that. They can't have these mobile blocks of flats bouncing off river and canal banks every time the wind gets up. Or if they don't do something about it, they'll just have to stop and anchor up until the wind dies down again.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Maybe its time the Suez Canal Authority and naval architects rethink Suezmax capabilities, i.e. sail area.

Of course the US Navy's ecstatic they're not the cause of this. (Satire Warning!)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Nick

jcf

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 31, 2021, 10:35:47 AM
Quote from: joncarrfarrelly on March 31, 2021, 10:13:34 AM

In order to beused for steering the thrusters would have to be much larger and much more powerful.

Sounds like they're going to  need to do just that. They can't have these mobile blocks of flats bouncing off river and canal banks every time the wind gets up. Or if they don't do something about it, they'll just have to stop and anchor up until the wind dies down again.

Increasing the size and power of bow-thrusters still wouldn't given improved control as they don't work
very well when the ship is under way, blame the Coanda effect. Some sort of podded system would work,
similar to the Azipods, but it would require multiple units to equal the existing engine power, which in the
case of the Ever Given is a single screw driven by a 49,300 kW Mitsui-MAN 11G95ME-C9, an 11-cylinder
ultra-long stroke two-stroke diesel. Currently the most powerful Azipod is 22,000 kW.

https://library.e.abb.com/public/6c1b0250efd18e73c1257a530040dcf2/XO2100_XO2300_Product_Intro_lowres.pdf

kerick

I believe some cruise ships are having similar problems. They seem to get bigger every year.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

perttime

https://evergiven-everywhere.glitch.me/

"Why should the Suez Canal have all the fun? From the comfort of home you can get the Ever Given stuck wherever you want it. Drag and zoom the map to move this big old boat somewhere else. Click the rotate button to get it wedged perfectly. "

My sister put it in the little lake where we went swimming as kids.

NARSES2

Quote from: kerick on April 01, 2021, 09:37:21 PM
I believe some cruise ships are having similar problems. They seem to get bigger every year.

True, some don't even look like ships any more really. I've been on a couple of more traditional sized ones and they are large enough, but you could easily get lost on some of these new ones.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 02, 2021, 05:51:53 AM
Quote from: kerick on April 01, 2021, 09:37:21 PM

True, some don't even look like ships any more really. I've been on a couple of more traditional sized ones and they are large enough, but you could easily get lost on some of these new ones.

Chap I know was once a P&O chief steward.  He refers to the newer cruise liners as "a block of flats on a barge....not real ships at all"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

scooter

Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

Nick

Quote from: perttime on April 01, 2021, 11:14:59 PM
https://evergiven-everywhere.glitch.me/

"Why should the Suez Canal have all the fun? From the comfort of home you can get the Ever Given stuck wherever you want it. Drag and zoom the map to move this big old boat somewhere else. Click the rotate button to get it wedged perfectly. "

That is fun! I've just put the ship in Rosyth Docks next to the Queen Elizabeth carrier and it is even bigger than that  :o

PR19_Kit

I don't think it's going to make it through the Breydon Water Bridge at Yarmouth................ ;)

And its stern is aground anyway.  ;D

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

scooter

Gone But Not Forgotten

— Groucho Marx