Paint programs (programmes) to create decals

Started by loupgarou, April 02, 2021, 06:39:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loupgarou

Haven't found a similar topic, except one from 2009.
I need to create my own decals, using existing scanned logos, resing them, duplicating etc.
Which program would members suggest? (obvioulsy free) I have tried paint-net and found it a pain(t) in the A...
I don't need a lot of special effects, only a way of efficiently duplicating, resizing to a precise length, eventually removing background and MOST IMPORTANT, putting together different items form different files in a single page for paper economy.
Pain.net offers resize to a printing dimension. BUT it's not true, the resultis in a completely different size.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Hobbes

I prefer using a vector-based drawing program as the basis. This allows you to import any scanned assets and resize them to an absolute size without having to change the resolution of the imported files.

It also allows you to use high-quality vector graphics instead of scanned files. Many items (air force roundels, company logos, national flags) can be found as vector graphics on the Web.

I use Illustrator because I have a license from my employer. A free alternative would be Inkscape.

Paint.net is good to have alongside for processing the individual scanned items before you import into your vector program.

loupgarou

Thanks, Hobbes, but I am afraida vector program would be way over my head.
What would be "processing the scanned images"?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Hobbes

for example:
- cutting out the parts you want (if you've scanned an entire decal sheet and only need part of it)
- cleaning up the scan (I sometimes get black lines on a scan when I use our office printer/scanner)
- removing scanning artefacts (depending on your scanner settings, a scan can look ugly and pixelated - this is because the decals were printed using a fine raster pattern. Depending on e.g. your scanner resolution this pattern will become far more visible in the scan than in the original decals)

loupgarou

Thanks a lot. I'll have a  try with Inkscape.

PR19_Kit

Although I habitually use a bitmap programme (PaintShoPro 4) for my decals, I've found a good way to get a nice smooth, non-pixilated (or as non-pixilated as you can get with a bitmap programme...) is to do the design four or five times full size and then re-size it before printing.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

loupgarou

Thanks, Kit. At the moment my need is how to put together a sheet for printing using  items (logos etc) from different sources (scanned from books or decals sheets...) after resizing with precision the individual items.
Paint.net don't seem to be able to do this, and I doubt of my capacity for mastering Inkscape.

Dizzyfugu

Good bitmap-oriented free programs are Gimp (many features, can be overwhelming when you have no clue) and XnView (much simpler, rather good for tuning finished graphics than truly manipulate/"photoshop" them). However, for good results and proper print-praparation you need a vector-graphics-oriented program, too. I use Corel Draw (IIRC #8), an ancient version, but it still runs stable under current Windows. The OEM package also contained Corel Draw, a special program for bitmap manipulation - maybe you can find a free complete package.

Hobbes

If all you need is the ability to resize and position existing artwork, you could use LibreOffice Draw.

zenrat

I use Micro$oft Powerpoint.  I don't draw anything too complicated as I can usually find logos etc on the interweb.
There are also heaps of free fonts to download when it comes to text.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

loupgarou

Thanks for all the help.
I have installed Inkscape, tomorrow will try and explore it. Will explore also the other programs suggested to check which is the best option for my needs. Mostly I have to use (or better will have to use) scanned logos and markings from various sources (printed ones or decal sheets) and resize them. I haven't yet found a simple method for resizing to a PRECISE dimension, AND putting together many items from different sources to fill up a sheet without wasting decal paper.
Maybe the best is again using Word, it allows easy resizing without losing proportions, and duplicating,adding more items etc.
Only snag, how to get exact dimensions, keeping on  mind that I mostly do trucks and freight cars in 1/87, so a small size difference is important.

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: zenrat on April 03, 2021, 02:57:30 AMI use Micro$oft Powerpoint.  I don't draw anything too complicated as I can usually find logos etc on the interweb.
There are also heaps of free fonts to download when it comes to text.

PPT is an option, too, if you have/use MS Office. It is basically a vector-based graphic program that allows you a lot of freedom, and you can even (to a certain degree) edit/tune imported bitmaps, even though you will not be able to make retouches.

loupgarou

I am at it again...
Need to draw decals for the colour separation line in my GG-1 Santa Fe loco.
As I had horrible pixel results in bitmap programs, I dusted off Inkscape. BTW, downloaded the current version.
Drawn the shape I need, BUT haven't found how to resize it. Anybody knows where (if) is the command?
 Obvioulsly it should also conserve the proportions, and, ideal case, show object size in cm (or inches)

Spey_Phantom

Paint(dot)net is my go-to software for decal designing, its fully customizable with new effects and plugins and its easy to use, so thats a plus for me  :mellow:
on the bench:

-all kinds of things.

scooter

Quote from: Spey_Phantom on February 16, 2024, 12:34:02 AMPaint(dot)net is my go-to software for decal designing, its fully customizable with new effects and plugins and its easy to use, so thats a plus for me  :mellow:

Same. Plus you can save in .png format which doesn't have compression issues
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng