International Rescuer - Thunderbird SC.1 - (Updated)

Started by CammNut, April 11, 2021, 03:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CammNut

Sqn Ldr Jessica "Doc" Hu 'tapped the brakes' and commanded the vehicle to begin the descent from its stratospheric cruise at close to five times the speed of sound.

The Thunderbird SC.1 began decelerating toward its destination, the devastated remains of a popular tourist resort half a world away from Britain. This was the exactly the type of mission for which the UK's Rapid Response Force (RRF) - inevitably nicknamed "International Rescue" - had been created.

The RRF has been forged out of necessity. As the latter half of the century degenerated into a succession of terror attacks and small but vicious wars, the need to act fast to protect and repatriate UK citizens caught up in disasters overseas had become acute.

The result was Project Anderson, named in homage to Gerry Anderson, creator of the Thunderbirds - a popular children's TV series about International Rescue, a small but superbly equipped team that stood ready to respond at a moment's notice to any emergency, anywhere in the world.

The project resulted in a small fleet of suborbital transports – the first SCs, or Space Carriers, to be operated by the Royal Air and Space Force (RASF). Boosting into the stratosphere, they able to fly medical facilities, decontamination units or stabilization forces over long distances at high speed.

The SCs – and there was never any doubt that they would be christened Thunderbirds – were designed to take off from a conventional runway under turbojet power, igniting liquid-oxygen/kerosene rocket engines during climb-out to accelerate to hypersonic speed and then cruise on ramjet power.

After landing on turbojet power, the Thunderbird would raise its nose, kneel its gear and lower its ramp to offload modules specially designed for disaster response. Since it entered service, the fleet had been launched a dozen times, saving thousands of lives. Now, once again, more thousands were at risk.

The Thunderbird descended and decelerated, propulsion transitioning from ramjet to turbojet mode as speed dropped below Mach 3. Doc checked on her crew, a quick reassuring glance over her shoulders. In reality, they were in different locations across the UK, sharing the same simulated cockpit via their virtual-reality headsets.

During the cruise, from a launch tube on its back, the Thunderbird had lofted a flock of cubesats into low Earth orbit. Called Angels, these nanosats began collecting imagery of the disaster area. Doc's intel officer, Flt Lt Simon Hurley, pushed the first shots of the landing zone to her display. Good, the runway looked clear, the once-bustling international airport appearing eerily abandoned. Hurley virtually flagged a likely safe parking position.

Also during cruise, the Thunderbird had launched another rocket onto a depressed trajectory. Once over the target area, its payload fairing had jettisoned to release a solar-powered unmanned aircraft into the stratosphere. Called Cloudbase, the UAV had unfolded its long wings and begun orbiting over the disaster zone, becoming a flying cell tower to restore mobile communications.

Doc's comms officer, Flt Lt Grace Washington, reported Cloudbase was online and lasercomm links back to the UK were solid. Turrets on the Thunderbird's shoulders kept laser beams tightly focused on the UK's strategic satellites in geostationary orbit, providing the high-bandwidth, low-latency datalinks needed to remotely pilot the big, fast suborbital transport. All was go for landing, Doc decided.

She was flying the second of the five Thunderbird SC.1s to be built, the iconic "TB2" tailcode emblazoned on its twin fins. She would be first on site, carrying the initial stabilization force of 75 soldiers and their robotic squad mates. They would quickly secure the landing zone and begin scouting the disaster area with drones while the other Thunderbirds flew in close behind.

TB1 was carrying a small modular reactor to restore power and TB3 was bringing "Module 5". Once connected to the reactor, Module 5 - officially called Alchemist – would begin producing clean water, as well as synthetic kerosene and liquid oxygen to refuel the Thunderbirds. TB4 and TB5 were following with medical and decontamination modules, each flight also bringing more first responders.

Doc and TB2 would be gone before they arrived. A short subsonic hop on turbojet power to a nearby friendly airport to refuel and take on liquid oxygen, then the Thunderbird would make the hypersonic dash back to the UK to pick up the next critical elements required to get disaster relief and recovery under way.

Doc would be on board TB2 for real on its flight back to the disaster area. By then air traffic would be building up at the once-deserted airport and the risk of collision in busy airspace would be too great to allow remote piloting. Hurley and Washington would still be with her virtually, but she would have a real loadmaster because she would also being bringing back the first survivors – the critically injured, children, other priority cases.

UPDATE

Apologies, I didn't have time to finish the post ("Dinner!"). So, the model is the Hasegawa Creator Works 'Minerva' shuttle from the Crusher Joe anime series. The model is 1/400, so I rescaled it to have a similar cargo capacity to the C-17, which makes it about 1/144.

I also de-anime-ed it to the extent possible, which mainly involved removing the conning-tower thing on top and the large box-like shapes at the back and fitting rocket nozzles from a Shuttle. The decals are mostly self-printed, with some from the model itself.

buzzbomb

Wooooooow !!!!!

Really nice, really like to know what the base model is and where it comes from

PR19_Kit

That's both an AWESOME model and a DOUBLY AWESOME backstory!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Surely this HAS to be an entry in the Blue Lights GB, not just a 'Finished Project'?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

CammNut

I updated the post to identify the original model - Hasegawa Creator Works 'Minerva" shuttle from the Crusher Joe anime series

dwomby

You have surpassed yourself with that backstory and its clever homage to the worlds of GA.!

oh, and the model is pretty darned impressive too.

David

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

That's brilliant, mate! :bow:

Why isn't it in the Blue Lights GB? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

CammNut

Thanks folks. The Blue Lights GB never occurred to me - sorry! Also my modelling progress is distinctly non-linear and not best suited to the show-and-tell format of GBs.

I wasn't sure if I should post under Sci-fi or Aircraft. Could the moderators adjudicate? I could also post as completed under Blue Lights, but that seems a bit dishonest.

Old Wombat

As a moderator for the Blue Lights GB I just need to know;

Roughly how much, if any, was completed by the 1st March? :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Rheged

That is a remarkable piece of modelling and a  well reasoned, cogently expressed backstory.   It's  surely a "Blue Light"   contender!

It's so good I've nominated it for a Whiffie!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: CammNut on April 11, 2021, 07:15:22 PM

I wasn't sure if I should post under Sci-fi or Aircraft. Could the moderators adjudicate? I could also post as completed under Blue Lights, but that seems a bit dishonest.

With my moderators hat on. Post it in whichever thread you are happiest for it to be in  :thumbsup:

With my members hat on. That's one fantastic model  :bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

CammNut

Quote from: Old Wombat on April 11, 2021, 07:34:52 PM
As a moderator for the Blue Lights GB I just need to know;

Roughly how much, if any, was completed by the 1st March? :unsure:

That is easy to answer:

I only bought the model in mid-March! Not sure how I finished it so fast!

AeroplaneDriver

Absolutely stunning build AND backstory!   Also wondering why it in Blue Lights GB. Instant contender for sure.

One comment...would the backstory benefit from a propulsion change to the Reaction Engines SABRE engines?  Would fit the look of the model perfectly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SABRE_(rocket_engine)
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

PR19_Kit

Quote from: CammNut on April 12, 2021, 07:09:46 AM

That is easy to answer:

I only bought the model in mid-March! Not sure how I finished it so fast!

Sorted!  ;D

Looks like you're in then.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit