I managed to annoy another one.....

Started by TomZ, April 12, 2021, 11:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Hobbes on April 16, 2021, 12:14:39 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 13, 2021, 06:14:41 AM
Yup Spanish in Argentina, although I've been told by people who speak metropolitan Spanish and have been there it's nothing like they speak in Spain ! Same goes for a lot of the S American countries where Spanish is the official language apparently. Although the written language is probably broadly similar. I've been to a couple of them, and Brazil, and neither my Spanish nor Portuguese is anywhere near good enough to tell. Indeed apart from the odd word they are non existent  :rolleyes:

Yep. In my job (writing and translating operator manuals) they are usually treated as separate languages.

Interesting. I didn't realise it was recognised as such on a semi official basis.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Scotaidh

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 16, 2021, 06:20:36 AM
Quote from: Hobbes on April 16, 2021, 12:14:39 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on April 13, 2021, 06:14:41 AM
Yup Spanish in Argentina, although I've been told by people who speak metropolitan Spanish and have been there it's nothing like they speak in Spain ! Same goes for a lot of the S American countries where Spanish is the official language apparently. Although the written language is probably broadly similar. I've been to a couple of them, and Brazil, and neither my Spanish nor Portuguese is anywhere near good enough to tell. Indeed apart from the odd word they are non existent  :rolleyes:

Yep. In my job (writing and translating operator manuals) they are usually treated as separate languages.

Interesting. I didn't realise it was recognised as such on a semi official basis.

I know "Portuguese" and "Brazilian Portuguese" are classed as separate languages by the Rosetta Stone 'learn-a-language' folks.  I'd imagine that 'French' and 'Cajun' are also separated - and I've been told that Parisian French is very different from the language in the rest of the country ...   :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Scotaidh on April 17, 2021, 12:53:26 AM

I've been told that Parisian French is very different from the language in the rest of the country ...   :)

I don't think that's any surprise...  ;)

Rheged

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 17, 2021, 01:04:56 AM

I've been told that Parisian French is very different from the language in the rest of the country ...   :)

Is Paris on the same planet as the rest of France?

There are cases of French nationals FAILING the Quebec  language test for residence because their French was "Not good enough"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

Rick Lowe

Quote from: Rheged on April 17, 2021, 01:50:59 AM

There are cases of French nationals FAILING the Quebec  language test for residence because their French was "Not good enough"

Is Paris on the same Planet as any of us?  :unsure:

And that language test fail is hilarious! Thanks for the smile!  :thumbsup:

Leading Observer

Quote from: NARSES2 on April 14, 2021, 06:26:20 AM
Quote from: Leading Observer on April 13, 2021, 07:44:15 AM
You could try this if he's in Patagonia "Rydych chi, Syr, yn gownter ail-wneud!"

There not all Welsh down there  ;)

I remember being told Patagonia is the 2nd biggest Welsh speaking area in the world, although its now probably developed into a different version of the language
LO

Observation is the most enduring of lifes pleasures

zenrat

Quote from: Rick Lowe on April 17, 2021, 01:04:56 AM

I suspect those who failed the test would argue their French was fine, it was their French-Canadian that was lacking.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on April 17, 2021, 04:17:00 AM

I suspect those who failed the test would argue their French was fine, it was their French-Canadian that was lacking.

I'd actually support them with that argument  ;D

Had a girlfriend who had quite (very) good French and she was miffed when we went to Paris for a break and she struggled to communicate with the locals. She'd been expecting to be able to hold long conversations that would inevitably wind me up  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

frank2056

At my old job, one of the professors was French - from near Paris. I spoke with him in French a few times and one day he annoyingly asked me where I learned to speak such ghetto French. I told him I had been taught by very good teachers from Haiti. Even though they used French language instructional films from France, I guess that wasn't enough.

Rick Lowe

Quote from: frank2056 on April 17, 2021, 09:34:40 AM
At my old job, one of the professors was French - from near Paris. I spoke with him in French a few times and one day he annoyingly asked me where I learned to speak such ghetto French. I told him I had been taught by very good teachers from Haiti. Even though they used French language instructional films from France, I guess that wasn't enough.

I guess at least he didn't use the word 'Gutter'... give him that much, anyway...   :banghead:

perttime

French and Canadian French are treated as different languages in software, too.