Nuclear powered trains fact or fiction?

Started by McColm, April 15, 2021, 03:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Making the gauge very wide makes some sense, and not only because the train itself will be larger. The gauge is a squared term in the stability equation for a railed vehicle so that the wider the gauge the faster the critical speed before the wheels go unstable.

Of course the died-in-the-wool GWR fans have been saying that British railways should have stayed with Brunel's 7' 0.25" gauge for YEARS because of that fact.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on April 16, 2021, 01:32:07 AM
This appeared in the Eagle comic in 1962:

Hilarious, the artist just took a steam locomotive and converted it to atomic power.
The configuration makes no sense.  ;D

PR19_Kit

Everything was going to be nuclear powered in the 60s though.  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

frank2056

Like Project Plowshare Need a ditch carved? Some weeds vaporized? We have a small nuke for that...

Mossie

Quote from: Hobbes on April 16, 2021, 01:32:07 AM
This appeared in the Eagle comic in 1962:

Graft an Mi-8 cockpit onto a Dapol Battle of Britain class.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Quote from: frank2056 on July 05, 2021, 03:26:39 PM
Like Project Plowshare Need a ditch carved? Some weeds vaporized? We have a small nuke for that...

There were times when I was labouring that I would have used a small nuke rather than continue with a spade and shovel.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..