USAF OA-9A Tigercat Vietnam Sandy

Started by AeroplaneDriver, May 04, 2021, 02:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AeroplaneDriver

Back to back crashes of OV-10 Bronco prototypes in early 1965 cast doubt over the entire program.  Though both accidents were eventually attributed to pilot error, the year of limbo that the program experienced led to a desperate effort by the USAF to find at least an interim replacement for the OV-10s planned Forward Air Controller role.  Cessna O-2 and L-19 aircraft were tasked to the limit and the immediate need for a faster FAC platform resulted in the USAF acquiring 56 mothballed Navy and Marine Corps F7F fighters for the mission.  The Tigercats received few modifications due to the rushed nature of the requirement.  They were painted in USAF SEA Camouflage and equipped with new radios and the ability to carry rocket pods for target marking rockets as well as 500lb Mk.82 bombs and SUU-14 bomblet dispensers for light attack and possible "Sandy" missions. 

Entering service in early 1966 and serving until eventual replacement by the delayed Bronco in 1969, the Tigercats service life with the USAF was short, but it proved effective in the role and popular with pilots. 

A busy few weeks ahead at work including a trip to Dallas for 4 days, so progress may be slower than normal on this one.  Looks a lovely kit so far. 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Tophe

The title and your first words made me dream you would build a Tigercat with Bronco twin-booms  ;D , but I understand (reading all) your project is different: a normal Tigercat replacing the Bronco after failure of her. All right, this is a little less what-if  :unsure: but may be more interesting for Tigercat lovers. <_<
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Tophe on May 04, 2021, 07:50:41 PM
The title and your first words made me dream you would build a Tigercat with Bronco twin-booms  ;D , but I understand (reading all) your project is different: a normal Tigercat replacing the Bronco after failure of her. All right, this is a little less what-if  :unsure: but may be more interesting for Tigercat lovers. <_<

A twin-boom Tigercat is something I never considered but looking at it I can see it being a great project...one for the future perhaps!!! 
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Tophe

Quote from: AeroplaneDriver on May 04, 2021, 08:22:37 PM
A twin-boom Tigercat is something I never considered but looking at it I can see it being a great project...one for the future perhaps!!!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thanks a lot for the twin-boom part of the whif world! (someday, maybe) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

kerick

A radial engine P-38 type built by Grumman!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

For Christ's sake! What's wrong with a suitably up-armed Tigercat? Maybe sort squared-off props and wing tip tanks a la the B-26K, and a proper sensor battery in the nose, but otherwise it's awesome.
It's a great idea! I want to see it in styrene!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kerick

Was there ever a two seat Tigercat? I don't think so but many FAC aircraft were two seaters. Would be quite a different Tigercat. Seriously looking forward to your build!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Almost all Tigercats were two-seaters.  :rolleyes: The night fighter's radar needed an operator, but the second cockpit had only limited and flush glazing.

AndrewF

Quote from: kerick on May 04, 2021, 09:34:14 PM
Was there ever a two seat Tigercat? I don't think so but many FAC aircraft were two seaters. Would be quite a different Tigercat. Seriously looking forward to your build!

The 2-seater nightfighters had a second canopy over the wing; so visibility to the ground would be pretty limited, making it not ideal for FAC tasks.

AndrewF

I found this in a thread here from 2008...

quote author=philp link=topic=19302.msg271748#msg271748 date=1205644344]
Have pulled these off the site previously:

[/quote]

zenrat

Best position ground visibility-wise for a second seater would be in a glazed nose forward of those huge engines.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

AndrewF

Quote from: zenrat on May 05, 2021, 02:43:37 AM
Best position ground visibility-wise for a second seater would be in a glazed nose forward of those huge engines.

Yes, something like this - although the observer would probably be lying prone on top of the nose wheel well, so probably rather uncomfortable...

Old Wombat

Looking forward to this stop-gap FAC-cat! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: AndrewF on May 05, 2021, 03:34:25 AM
Quote from: zenrat on May 05, 2021, 02:43:37 AM

Yes, something like this - although the observer would probably be lying prone on top of the nose wheel well, so probably rather uncomfortable...

Something I wanted to suggest, too, but rather stayed quiet...  ;)

Old Wombat

Thinking about this, the forward guns aren't exactly necessary for the FAC role, so they could be removed & a clear bubble nose fitted for a seated observer.

If you really wanted to keep some gun capability, a couple of .50cals in cheek blisters, like those used on B-25s & B-26s, could be fitted. They may even help with the reflex aiming of rockets.

Still, I have a feeling that AeroplaneDriver doesn't really want to get this carried away on this build. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est