USAF OA-9A Tigercat Vietnam Sandy

Started by AeroplaneDriver, May 04, 2021, 02:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewF

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 05, 2021, 05:30:16 AM
Thinking about this, the forward guns aren't exactly necessary for the FAC role, so they could be removed & a clear bubble nose fitted for a seated observer.

If you really wanted to keep some gun capability, a couple of .50cals in cheek blisters, like those used on B-25s & B-26s, could be fitted. They may even help with the reflex aiming of rockets.

Still, I have a feeling that AeroplaneDriver doesn't really want to get this carried away on this build. ;)

The Tigercat also had 4 cannons in the wingroots, so you could just keep them and remove the nose guns. And yeah, we're getting a bit carried away here, but it's good to see the ideas flowing!

Pellson

Quote from: Pellson on May 04, 2021, 09:17:44 PM
For Christ's sake! What's wrong with a suitably up-armed Tigercat? Maybe sort squared-off props and wing tip tanks a la the B-26K, and a proper sensor battery in the nose, but otherwise it's awesome.
It's a great idea! I want to see it in styrene!

It seems I have managed to annoy one or two of you with my above comment. I would really, profoundly, like to apologise for that, my intention only ever being some friendly bantering.
Not to worsen anything, I'm leaving the subject now, just hoping that you all will remember that If you find something I write rude - please give me the benefit of doubt as I most certainly isn't intending to offend anyone.

Thanks.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 05, 2021, 05:30:16 AM

Still, I have a feeling that AeroplaneDriver doesn't really want to get this carried away on this build. ;)

You are correct sir!  This is mostly a "paint & pylons Whif.  Plus as a stopgap solution that is only in service for a few years it would be unlikely to see too many modifications.
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kerick

Maybe a FAC Tigercat alongside my interdiction P-61 Black Widow in SEA camo......
BTW I recall a picture from a book about the air war in Vietnam of an O-2 with the words "THE FAC" painted on top of the wings. Just my $0.02 worth.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

The guns in the wing roots would still be left.

Scotaidh

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on May 05, 2021, 11:10:26 PM
The guns in the wing roots would still be left.

... and right, too, I'd guess, to keep the weight level. 

;) 

Sorry - couldn't resist.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Scotaidh on May 08, 2021, 03:07:29 AM

... and right, too, I'd guess, to keep the weight level. 

Not if Tophe has anything to do with it.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

AeroplaneDriver

Before starting my OWGB Hunter I wanted to get this one finished. It's felt like it dragged on a bit due to work, vacation, other projects, and general laziness. 

Overall a nice kit with only a few problem areas, primarily the main landing gear for me.  A bit too fiddly. 

I'd read it was a tailsitter so added a good bit of weight in the form of Liquid Gravity (tiny iron beads) and some dimes but it STILL plopped down on it's tail.  I drilled a hole in the centerline tank and filled the front of it with more Liquid Gravity, but it seemed to make zero difference.  In the end I gave up and fashioned a tail stand from a polished length of clear sprue.

Decals are a mix of USAF stencils from several kits and unit markings from Tamiya's A-1H Sandy Skyraider, giving this one a slight backstory change to an interim Sandy role.  For this role it carries a pair of BLU-23 napalm bombs, a pair of SUU-14 cluster dispensers, and a pair of LAU-3/A rocket pods in addition to the heavy gun armament of 4 .50cal machine guns and 4 20mm cannons.

Paints are Vellejo Model Air acrylics.

May do more pics tomorrow but for now it's tike to clean the bench of for the OWGB!

Old Wombat

Like the nod to the AVG. ;)

She looks really good' in a hard-worked, on the deck, skimming the tree-tops kinda way. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

AeroplaneDriver

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 14, 2021, 05:57:30 PM
Like the nod to the AVG. ;)

She looks really good' in a hard-worked, on the deck, skimming the tree-tops kinda way. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bow:

Well spotted Sir!  A little play on the "Tiger" name. 

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

comrade harps

Love the Tigercat and you've done it justice!  :thumbsup:
Whatever.

Dizzyfugu