Time to bite the bullet....

Started by PR19_Kit, May 08, 2021, 09:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossie

There're are some plans in the Beverley thread, but have photobucketed so you might not be able to see them.
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=4860.45
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

PR19_Kit

For an aeroplane whose usual passengers only had one way tickets, the Bev has a surprising number of portholes, 10 on the lower deck and 12 on the upper deck. Mikro-Mir obviously got fed up with engraving their tools with all these holes and just didn't bother with five of them on the starboard side....

The only review I've found of this kit mentions that the builder drilled the portholes out rather than use the decals supplied, and so who am I to go against such wisdom?

The holes turn out to be 1.8 mm dia, and I pilot drilled them 1 mm to start with after centre punching each hole. It didn't quite work out as my 1mm drills turned to be have been made from plasticine as both of them bent at 90 degrees! But it's all done now, apart from the three holes that I 'drifted' out of position  :banghead: and which will have to be filled and re-drilled.

Once the palm of my right hand has recovered anyway...

Note the bent pilot drills nestled between the fuselage halves.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

I've had small bits snap in two but never bend like that. Cheap steel?
The Bev is interesting.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Yes, the drills surprise me too. A lot, actually.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

zenrat

I've got a set of cheap drills which do that. 

How big is the model?  Can we get a pic with a scale reference object please.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

The Scale Reference Cat is otherwise engaged at present (He's asleep.....or claims to be...) and won't be moved, but in case an absolute reference will do, the Bev is about 8.5" long (or 215 mm for those Imperially challenged...)

'Steel' may be a trifle of an exaggeration to describe the material that those drills were made from.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 15, 2021, 04:41:30 AM
The Scale Reference Cat is otherwise engaged at present (He's asleep.....or claims to be...) and won't be moved, but in case an absolute reference will do, the Bev is about 8.5" long (or 215 mm for those Imperially challenged...)

'Steel' may be a trifle of an exaggeration to describe the material that those drills were made from.

Thanks Kit.  <holds hands so far apart> Smaller than I expected.

Maybe your drills were made of a similar material to that many motorcycle manufacturers used to made machine screws  - a form of brittle cheese.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 15, 2021, 05:26:13 AM
It's only 1/144 scale.

Yes, but I thought it was still a large aircraft.
Fred

JayBee

Ye Gods, a 1/144 scale 1mm drill. What next!  :wacko:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

NARSES2

Quote from: JayBee on May 15, 2021, 05:35:29 AM
Ye Gods, a 1/144 scale 1mm drill. What next!  :wacko:

Oh very god Jim  :bow: ;D

Must admit I'm very surprised that both of those drills have bent at what looks to be exactly the same point in the shank and at the same angle ? Can only assume that they just weren't hardened and tempered ? Or they've simply used "mild" steel rather than tool or HS steel ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Those are ridiculous drill bits. Hope you still have the receipt to be able to take them back, which I strongly doubt.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I have yes, and I've got ZILLIONS of more bits in the set. I bet they're all made of 'monkey metal' too! :(

Regards
Kit

Gondor

Never a good idea to go cheap with tools unless you know the brand are good.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

The Rat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 11, 2021, 10:40:08 PM
One of the other guys on here posted this Eagle comic cutaway of a Bev configured in that role.;

That is exactly how I imagined it.
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr