Recce and Surveillance GB - Rules

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kitbasher

Quote from: Weaver on June 11, 2021, 04:08:41 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on June 10, 2021, 12:13:52 PM
Quote from: Weaver on June 10, 2021, 04:28:11 AM
Quote from: Mossie on June 09, 2021, 11:34:10 AM
How about civilian reconnaissance, such as survey and exploration vehicles?

Similar question: what about space probes and satellites?

On the one hand, they're definitely 'gathering data' (there's literally a probe around Mars called the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter) but on the other hand, there's no 'enemy' (as far as we know...) to be spying on.

PM to follow, Mr Weaver

Thank you, although I think the answer would be interesting to more people than just me.

PM just sent.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kitbasher

Afternoon, all.
Encouraging to see so much interest and preparation growing ahead of this GB.  Following the questions regarding 'civilian reconnaissance' (including satellites, survey and exploration vehicles), the Mods feel it's only right to provide some additional clarity regarding the GB's scope.

Rule 2 points towards Wikipedia content at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconnaissance that is intended to help explain what's eligible (we'd scoured the web for definitions, the Wikipedia piece supports what we found).  By way of additional clarification:

• We see 'civilian reconnaissance' as meaning mapping, survey or exploration, not reconnaissance, and therefore out of scope.
  • As for space probes and satellites, those used for mapping, survey or exploration on or around a planet are not in scope.
  • If we're talking intelligence agencies and/or the military using any platform (including satellites) for intelligence gathering, then these would be in scope.
  • Zenrat has suggested that Thunderbird 5 would be in scope.  The Mods are of the view that, as TB5 is used for monitoring rather than actively seeking something out, it is out of scope.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbirds_machines#Thunderbird_5, https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Thunderbird_5 and other similar sites describe TB5's role.

Hope this is helpful.  Again if there is any doubt then please do PM us with your query.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

loupgarou

As the title says "and surveillance" , something in this kind of things would be acceptable, I suppose.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/154282319899?hash=item23ebf1601b:g:zVMAAOSwLURgUx24

Surveillance along Hadrian's wall (and other walls...) was a military job.
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

TomZ

Quote from: loupgarou on June 12, 2021, 06:39:16 AM
As the title says "and surveillance" , something in this kind of things would be acceptable, I suppose.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/154282319899?hash=item23ebf1601b:g:zVMAAOSwLURgUx24

Surveillance along Hadrian's wall (and other walls...) was a military job.

Dave and I discussed this and can confirm that yes, this is acceptable within the rules.

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

zenrat

So what, in your view is the difference between surveillance and monitoring?

And what about this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rallying#Pacenotes_and_reconnaissance

Are you saying only military subjects are acceptable?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

TomZ

Guys,

We can hold endless discussions about the exact meaning of words. To try to avoid that discussion we included a wiki article on what we (the moderators) would perceive as being reconnaissance in the context of this group build. If you have a specific example you want to build, please send us private message and we will come back to you.
Otherwise we will be discussing terminology long after the end of the group build itself. We are modellers. Let's talk about models and not argue semantics.

TomZ

Pellson

Quote from: TomZ on June 13, 2021, 06:50:24 AM
Guys,

We can hold endless discussions about the exact meaning of words. To try to avoid that discussion we included a wiki article on what we (the moderators) would perceive as being reconnaissance in the context of this group build. If you have a specific example you want to build, please send us private message and we will come back to you.
Otherwise we will be discussing terminology long after the end of the group build itself. We are modellers. Let's talk about models and not argue semantics.

TomZ

Hear, hear!  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

kerick

Build a model of your cell phone. Those things are spying on us all the time. And I'm not a conspiracy nut.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: kerick on June 13, 2021, 05:25:56 PM
Build a model of your cell phone. Those things are spying on us all the time. And I'm not a conspiracy nut.

White Transit van with a 'company' logo that features a glossy black square and no phone number, parked innocently on a street. You view the diorama in forced perspective through a window and a pair of barely opened curtains...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

rickshaw

Quote from: Weaver on June 14, 2021, 01:18:30 AM
Quote from: kerick on June 13, 2021, 05:25:56 PM

White Transit van with a 'company' logo that features a glossy black square and no phone number, parked innocently on a street. You view the diorama in forced perspective through a window and a pair of barely opened curtains...

"Flowers By Irene"?
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Weaver

Another question if I may, the answer to which will be of general interest, hence why I'm asking it here rather than by PM:

What about AEW/AWACS aircraft?

On the one hand, they are definitely seeking information about 'what's happening over there' and are 'surveilling' a volume of airspace for military purposes.

On the other hand, it could be argued that their primary purpose is to provide information for the immediate control of friendly aircraft (AEW) or even provide the control themselves (AWACS), rather than feeding that info back home for intelligence analysis.

Presumably whatever decision is made with respect to AEW/AWACS will also apply to airborne ground surveillance radar systems like JSTARS too?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

TomZ

Good question. We will confer and come back to you

TomZ

loupgarou

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

kitbasher

TomZ

Quote from: loupgarou on June 25, 2021, 04:40:24 AM
Quote from: TomZ on June 25, 2021, 12:08:55 AM
Good question. We will confer and come back to you

TomZ

;D

The picture is way to flattering to me......

Tom