Recce and Surveillance GB - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

For ground recce, how about a Scorpion hull with a flat plate instead of the turret and a mast-mounted sight that folds forwards over the engine deck?

For naval recce, you could do an AGI-style spyship by sticking lots of domes and aerials onto a civilian ship like a passenger liner or cargo vessel.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

kitbasher

Quote from: Rheged on June 01, 2021, 08:48:05 AM
I wonder???  I have a very elderly Airfix Heron kit in the deep stash........could it possibly become a Swedish/Finnish/Danish civilian feeder airliner operating around the Baltic with odd hatch covers on the underside?    Or perhaps operating between Calcutta and Bangkok.......or even  in the Levant?

'Deep stash'.  So sort of sleeper agent kits or just something somewhere at the very bottom of a huge stash in a dark corner of your loft?  ;)

Quote from: Weaver on June 02, 2021, 01:36:09 AM
Thinking about long-winged-things, a recce Wellesley struck me as a possibility.

Much uprated engine (Sabre? Centaurus? There was a Wellesley-Hercules testbed IRL).

Gunner replaced by a 'slave' engine (Kestrel) driving a huge blower for high-altitude work (IRL suggestion from Avro and maybe Vickers too).

Pressure cabin with a tiny dome for the pilot. (Vickers did a lot of work on pressure cabins).

I'd say Hercules.  Domed cabin would create a whif connection to the pressurised Wellingtons.  Not sure about the blower engine idea, maybe one of the larger Gypsy engines if you go down that route?

One idea springing to mind as a subject is an 'operational' version of the Bristol 138, actual fixed main u/c replaced with retractable units.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

1/144 or smaller scale airliner kits might be a good source of long thin wings.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: kitbasher on June 02, 2021, 02:26:30 AM
Thinking about long-winged-things, a recce Wellesley struck me as a possibility.

Much uprated engine (Sabre? Centaurus? There was a Wellesley-Hercules testbed IRL).

Gunner replaced by a 'slave' engine (Kestrel) driving a huge blower for high-altitude work (IRL suggestion from Avro and maybe Vickers too).

Pressure cabin with a tiny dome for the pilot. (Vickers did a lot of work on pressure cabins).

I'd say Hercules.  Domed cabin would create a whif connection to the pressurised Wellingtons.  Not sure about the blower engine idea, maybe one of the larger Gypsy engines if you go down that route?

The original engine was a 9-cyl Pegasus, so the smaller-diameter 14-cyl Hercules looked awkward in a way that I can't decide if I like or I don't:

How about a whiffy "Twin Pegasus", which would be like a poppet-valve Centaurus? Mind you, you tend to think of the Centaurus as a 'late war' engine, but production actaully started in 1942 and was scaled back at one point because engines were being finished faster than the airframes that could take them. It really isn't much of a stretch therefore to imagine a few more being made for small number of 'special purpose' aircraft.

The blower idea was mooted by Avro for a high-altitude Lancaster proposal, with a fifth Merlin in the fuselage to both supercharge the engines and provide the cabin pressurisation. It's clunky, but it's 'period'...

Another way to offset the weight of the pressure cabin and larger engine would be to have a second pressure cabin aft for the navigator, with an astrodome and a ventral window for camera aiming. The blower engine would then be amidships.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

I wonder???  I have a very elderly Airfix Heron kit in the deep stash........could it possibly become a Swedish/Finnish/Danish civilian feeder airliner operating around the Baltic with odd hatch covers on the underside?   

If it was Danish it could even bear a small CIA Zap earned whilst flying into Berlin ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

Quote from: kitbasher on June 02, 2021, 02:26:30 AM
I wonder???  I have a very elderly Airfix Heron kit in the deep stash........could it possibly become a Swedish/Finnish/Danish civilian feeder airliner operating around the Baltic with odd hatch covers on the underside?    Or perhaps operating between Calcutta and Bangkok.......or even  in the Levant?

'Deep stash'.  So sort of sleeper agent kits or just something somewhere at the very bottom of a huge stash in a dark corner of your loft?  ;)

"Deep Stash"=Storage box on shelving at the back of the garage........I only know it's in there (allegedly)  because I taped a list of contents to the storage box lid before it went into  "Deep Stash" storage.   But of course, the list might be incorrect!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

I like that idea, yes..............  ;)

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kerick

How about the ultimate surveillance tool, satellites?
It would help use up lots of odd parts laying around.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

kitbasher

Quote from: kerick on June 02, 2021, 08:18:28 AM
How about the ultimate surveillance tool, satellites?
It would help use up lots of odd parts laying around.

Tom and I have swapped thoughts and yes recce satellites most certainly are in scope.  Looking forward to the back story explaining their capabilities.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

rickshaw

I have an idea.  I think a long winged Canberra variant might come a calling...   ;) ;)
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

Quote from: rickshaw on June 03, 2021, 06:05:44 AM
I have an idea.  I think a long winged Canberra variant might come a calling...   ;) ;)

With some big fat turbofan engines?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

rickshaw

Quote from: kerick on June 03, 2021, 10:22:33 AM

Nope.  Nice slim lined engines... :thumbsup:
How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

kerick

Quote from: rickshaw on June 03, 2021, 06:56:42 PM
Quote from: kerick on June 03, 2021, 10:22:33 AM

Nope.  Nice slim lined engines... :thumbsup:

That would be very interesting to see! Go for it!
Tophe the Wise

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 02, 2021, 07:44:59 AM

I like that idea, yes..............  ;)

Ah, thought somebody must have done it. :thumbsup:

Got a link?

- Indiana Jones