Recce and Surveillance GB - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 20, 2021, 05:42:35 AM
Just a thought, but we could avoid the need for an extension by starting two weeks early...
:angel:

I watched Carry on Sergeant the other afternoon (not feeling 100%) and I thought of you doing National Service. You'd still be in the Glasshouse  :rolleyes: I'd love to see some of your old school reports. Whenever I want a giggle I get mine out for a quick read  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Sport21ing

Something that have come up in my head in a while:
There are dozens of recon aircrafts (modified or newly built) based on the combat aircrafts, like:
- F-6 Mustangs, F-5 Lightnings, F6F-5P and F4U-1P, several Spitfires and Mosquito models, even some Bf-109's

But - how about a P-47 Thunderbolt recon fighter? Might not have the speed of a Mustang or Lightning, but can take hits and return home
My deviantart page:
http://sport16ing.deviantart.com/

PS: Not my art, not very good at drawning :P

Doug K

Quote from: Weaver on June 04, 2021, 12:23:31 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on June 02, 2021, 02:26:52 PM
Quote from: kerick on June 02, 2021, 08:18:28 AM
How about the ultimate surveillance tool, satellites?
It would help use up lots of odd parts laying around.

Tom and I have swapped thoughts and yes recce satellites most certainly are in scope.  Looking forward to the back story explaining their capabilities.

Oh that's easy:

"The KH-<REDACTED> had two <CLASSIFIED> and a particularly large <CLASSIFIED> which between them could scan a swath of <REDACTED> territory <CLASSIFIED> miles wide with each pass..."

If you wanted a more aeroplaney space recce system, how about a shuttle with a suite of recce sensors in the bay to act as a kind of recoverable MOL? You could add a small pressurised module to the front of the bay for extra consumables, the enlarged OMS tanks at the back of the bay (designed but never flown) for more orbital maneuverability, and as many of the telescopes (that seem to come with every kit) as will fit in between them. I've even seen the telescope parts for sale seperately on ebay before now.

Isn't that the X-37? 😉

NARSES2

Quote from: Sport21ing on June 20, 2021, 11:43:41 AM

But - how about a P-47 Thunderbolt recon fighter? Might not have the speed of a Mustang or Lightning, but can take hits and return home

Would make a good FR aircraft for RAF SEAC use
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on June 04, 2021, 12:23:31 AM
Quote from: kitbasher on June 02, 2021, 02:26:52 PM
Quote from: kerick on June 02, 2021, 08:18:28 AM
How about the ultimate surveillance tool, satellites?
It would help use up lots of odd parts laying around.

Tom and I have swapped thoughts and yes recce satellites most certainly are in scope.  Looking forward to the back story explaining their capabilities.

Oh that's easy:

"The KH-<REDACTED> had two <CLASSIFIED> and a particularly large <CLASSIFIED> which between them could scan a swath of <REDACTED> territory <CLASSIFIED> miles wide with each pass..."

If you wanted a more aeroplaney space recce system, how about a shuttle with a suite of recce sensors in the bay to act as a kind of recoverable MOL? You could add a small pressurised module to the front of the bay for extra consumables, the enlarged OMS tanks at the back of the bay (designed but never flown) for more orbital maneuverability, and as many of the telescopes (that seem to come with every kit) as will fit in between them. I've even seen the telescope parts for sale seperately on ebay before now.

Well looky here: https://thespacereview.com/article/3748/1

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Of course recce was traditionally done on horseback.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Those I assume "Lego" figures are brilliant  :thumbsup:.

loupgarou

I can offer this suggestion for xxx?-back recce...  &lt;_&lt;

Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

zenrat

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 22, 2021, 06:37:13 AM

"Official" Lego doesn't do military.  There is however a wide range of compatible military minifigs and accessories available from other manufacturers.
Brickwarriors being one such example.

I'm taken with The Airtight Garage of Jerry Cornelius.  I am aware of Michael Moorcock's writing about the man but not of Mobius's graphic works.  I may have to look into it.  I particularly like his hat.

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 23, 2021, 05:37:21 AM

"Official" Lego doesn't do military. 

Ah, cheers I wasn't aware of that. I've never owned any Lego, it wasn't around when I was a nipper and I've only really seen the stuff that nephews and nieces etc have had.

Caveman

Quote from: NARSES2 on June 22, 2021, 06:37:13 AM

"Official" Lego doesn't do military.  There is however a wide range of compatible military minifigs and accessories available from other manufacturers.
Brickwarriors being one such example.

I'm taken with The Airtight Garage of Jerry Cornelius.  I am aware of Michael Moorcock's writing about the man but not of Mobius's graphic works.  I may have to look into it.  I particularly like his hat.

Whilst that is their stance, that doesnt stop them from doing: muskets/rifles/blunderbuss/swords/knifes/cannons(functional)/castles/knights/men-at-arms/archers/armed square rig ships and
more futuristically they have done lasers and armed space ships, they also seem happy to tie in with star wars military vehicles

I think basically they just wont do anything "military" from the 1900s till now. But outside that seems to be fair game.
secretprojects forum migrant

ChernayaAkula

Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2021, 04:37:03 AM
Of course recce was traditionally done on horseback. <...>

For a twist on that theme while keeping in mind the spirit of this forum, consider these fine gentlemen:

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

I've got it: it's fantastic. :thumbsup:  The Airtight Garage stories are very 'zen' - should be right up your street... ;D Be aware that it has almost nothing to do with the Michael Moorcock Jerry Cornelius stories though.

All of Moebius's work is utterly gorgeous: the man was genius. If you like it, you should also check out the Incal series which he did in collboration with Alejandro Jodorowsky. Jodorowsky was the guy who first tried to put a Dune movie together in the mid 1970s. It failed, but the exercise put Moebius, Chris Foss, Ron Cobb and H.R. Giger in touch with Dan O'Bannon, who went on to write Alien and get them all involved in it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on June 24, 2021, 01:48:23 AM

I've got it: it's fantastic. :thumbsup:  The Airtight Garage stories are very 'zen' - should be right up your street... ;D Be aware that it has almost nothing to do with the Michael Moorcock Jerry Cornelius stories though.

All of Moebius's work is utterly gorgeous: the man was genius. If you like it, you should also check out the Incal series which he did in collboration with Alejandro Jodorowsky. Jodorowsky was the guy who first tried to put a Dune movie together in the mid 1970s. It failed, but the exercise put Moebius, Chris Foss, Ron Cobb and H.R. Giger in touch with Dan O'Bannon, who went on to write Alien and get them all involved in it.

Thanks H.
:thumbsup:
Fred