Recce and Surveillance GB - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on June 23, 2021, 06:49:03 PM
Quote from: zenrat on June 22, 2021, 04:37:03 AM
Of course recce was traditionally done on horseback. <...>

For a twist on that theme while keeping in mind the spirit of this forum, consider these fine gentlemen:

;D ;D

I like the fact that even the horses appear to be smiling behind their chamfron's  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Weaver

Must admit, I'm struggling to come up with a good idea for this one. Everything I come up with falls down on one or more of the following:

1. Turns out it's not a whiff

2. Can't be done with kits in my stash (don't want to buy anything if I can avoid it)

3. Too difficult modelling-wise

4. "Real" thing doesn't make sense to me, technically or operationally, in relation to the backstory

5. Bores me

Slight edit to clarify following Zenrat's reply.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I don't get your problem with No. 4.  Quite a lot of what I build doesn't make sense.

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on June 26, 2021, 04:02:32 AM
I don't get your problem with No. 4.  Quite a lot of what I build doesn't make sense.

It bothers me if I'm going for a 'nearly real' backstory (the kind of thing that makes you get your books out to check it's not real), but obviously not if I'm going for a steampunk-elves-on-Mars style thing.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

Quote from: Weaver on June 26, 2021, 04:07:23 AM

It bothers me if I'm going for a 'nearly real' backstory (the kind of thing that makes you get your books out to check it's not real), but obviously not if I'm going for a steampunk-elves-on-Mars style thing.

Now that is ripe for a Netflix/Prime/et al. series! ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 26, 2021, 06:27:40 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 26, 2021, 04:07:23 AM

Now that is ripe for a Netflix/Prime/et al. series! ;D

"I'll have you know that's my ancestral laser-bow, Mr. Burroughs, strung with carbon monofilament and made from the finest Weirwood..."

- Indiana Jones

ChernayaAkula

Pfff, steampunk-elves-on-Mars.  :rolleyes: Zenrat is doing steampunk-elves-in-Australia. On triplanes! Now that is a stretch of the imagination. :party: And obviously even worthier of a Netflix series.
Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Rheged

I actually  had a go at Steampunk on Mars a while back:- https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=47027.msg859621#msg859621 . If anyone can add to the story  ( and bring the Martian elves into it) I'd be fascinated to read their addition to my backstory!!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Quote from: ChernayaAkula on June 26, 2021, 09:29:12 AM
Pfff, steampunk-elves-on-Mars.  :rolleyes: Zenrat is doing steampunk-elves-in-Australia. On triplanes! Now that is a stretch of the imagination. :party: And obviously even worthier of a Netflix series.

Dieselpunk Sky Pirates to be pedentic.  I can't wait for the Pirates GB.
Although, the Sky Pirates would need some way to locate shipping.  Maybe the flying wing for this GB will not be Luft46 after all?

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: Weaver on June 26, 2021, 02:33:20 AM
Must admit, I'm struggling to come up with a good idea for this one. Everything I come up with falls down on one or more of the following:

1. Turns out it's not a whiff

2. Can't be done with kits in my stash (don't want to buy anything if I can avoid it)

3. Too difficult modelling-wise

4. "Real" thing doesn't make sense to me, technically or operationally, in relation to the backstory

5. Bores me

Slight edit to clarify following Zenrat's reply.

Forgot:

6. Ruled out of scope.

Anyway, some stash-diving has thrown up a couple of things:

1. A near-real-world side project to my Britain-buys-American timeline, based on mixing a couple of conversion sets. This got put to the bottom of the list originally because I didn't have enough donor kits, but that's no longer the case.

2. A sci-fi "ELINT" project based on a kit I forgot I had.

- Indiana Jones

Gondor

I'm considering joining the GB with a whiff version of the P.23 Karas which was a Reconnaissance/Light Bomber so a whiff version should be ok.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

Quote from: Gondor on June 30, 2021, 01:42:31 PM
I'm considering joining the GB with a whiff version of the P.23 Karas which was a Reconnaissance/Light Bomber so a whiff version should be ok.

Gondor

Whose kit are you planning on using Alastair ?

There was also the twin tailed PZL.42 which was the latter development of the P.23. IBG do a nice kit of it

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Gondor

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 01, 2021, 12:24:24 AM

Gondor

There was also the twin tailed PZL.42 which was the latter development of the P.23. IBG do a nice kit of it

I have the Heller kit which will be the basis for the build. It's going to be...... unexpected I hope

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

tigercat

This reminds me of the cartoon Biker Mice on Mars

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on July 01, 2021, 12:47:39 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on July 01, 2021, 12:24:24 AM

Gondor

I have the Heller kit which will be the basis for the build. It's going to be...... unexpected I hope

Gondor

The Heller PZL.23 kit is really nice, but stay away from the Mistercraft thing!