The Gunships GB - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on October 04, 2021, 06:01:56 AM

What scale are the Sgt's Mess ones? It doesn't seem to say anywhere on the website.

The problem is that Wargames figures don't tend to use scale as we modellers know it. They go by size - 15mm/20mm/25mm/30mm etc - and every manufacturer has a different idea of where to measure that size from/to. A lot are standardizing on base to eye, but even then they interpret that differently.

Those figures look 15mm to me, so I assume the guns and vehicles are as well. If so then they'd be to small for 1/72 as things stand.

Some of those artillery pieces do look nice though
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

Weaver

Quote from: NARSES2 on October 04, 2021, 06:41:17 AM
Quote from: Weaver on October 04, 2021, 06:01:56 AM

What scale are the Sgt's Mess ones? It doesn't seem to say anywhere on the website.

The problem is that Wargames figures don't tend to use scale as we modellers know it. They go by size - 15mm/20mm/25mm/30mm etc - and every manufacturer has a different idea of where to measure that size from/to. A lot are standardizing on base to eye, but even then they interpret that differently.

Those figures look 15mm to me, so I assume the guns and vehicles are as well. If so then they'd be to small for 1/72 as things stand.

Some of those artillery pieces do look nice though

Yeah I know, but it doesn't even says in wargames-speak. Most real-world wargames figures are either 15mm or 20mm, the latter being allegedly 1/72nd, and working quite well with plastic kits IF you don't mix figures from the two. 15mm is allegedly 1/100th so it matters...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

tigercat

Found  some detail

All figures in the Sgt's Mess collection are 20mm (1:72nd scale) and made from white metal.

The main range covers the Second World War and includes a large selection of infantry, artilery and tanks. In addition they have a large range of 1940's civilians figures and transports. Due to their scale, these civilians are also ideal for train sets.

In addition to their large World War II range, Sgts' Mess also count a number of American Civil War miniatures in their stocks.

Weaver

Quote from: tigercat on October 04, 2021, 12:48:07 PM
Found  some detail

All figures in the Sgt's Mess collection are 20mm (1:72nd scale) and made from white metal.

The main range covers the Second World War and includes a large selection of infantry, artilery and tanks. In addition they have a large range of 1940's civilians figures and transports. Due to their scale, these civilians are also ideal for train sets.

In addition to their large World War II range, Sgts' Mess also count a number of American Civil War miniatures in their stocks.

Okay, cheers. :thumbsup:

The Modifications section should interest folk on here, whether they're into wargaming or not: https://sgtsmess.co.uk/product-category/modifications/

The Malkara missiles and Swingfire boxes have a lot of potential, as do the Bren guns on proper vehicle AA mounts.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."

- Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Weaver on October 04, 2021, 01:10:05 PM

The Modifications section should interest folk on here, whether they're into wargaming or not: https://sgtsmess.co.uk/product-category/modifications/

The Malkara missiles and Swingfire boxes have a lot of potential, as do the Bren guns on proper vehicle AA mounts.

Their descriptions are a little 'loose'.

The GM23 set is described as 'Early war British small arms (two pistols, three Brens and fifteen.393 rifles' but I can see two Boys 0.5" anti-tank rifles in there as well as a Vickers 0.5" MG as well.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket 1/72 conversion set with gunship bits?   Cannons, FLIR, Vulcan cannon etc?  I would rather not buy a whole AC-130, but I have resorted to such extreme measures before.....   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on October 04, 2021, 02:02:40 PM
Quote from: Weaver on October 04, 2021, 01:10:05 PM

Their descriptions are a little 'loose'.

The GM23 set is described as 'Early war British small arms (two pistols, three Brens and fifteen.393 rifles' but I can see two Boys 0.5" anti-tank rifles in there as well as a Vickers 0.5" MG as well.

And a Tommy gun, a 3" mortar and a couple of 2" mortars too!

I notice that in the other small arms sets they haven't tried to list the contents and have just let the pictures do the talking. Odd that there's no Stens in the late-war British pack.

- Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: Weaver on October 04, 2021, 10:07:44 AM

15mm is allegedly 1/100th so it matters...

That's why Zveda do their 1/100 kits range
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

tigercat

It's odd though tanks are 1/100 and guns 1/72 unless it's there version of box size

Mossie

Quote from: sandiego89 on October 04, 2021, 04:01:08 PM
Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket 1/72 conversion set with gunship bits?   Cannons, FLIR, Vulcan cannon etc?  I would rather not buy a whole AC-130, but I have resorted to such extreme measures before.....

I don't know of any conversions (probably because the kits are available) but you can get a lot of the parts separately. Quickboost do vulcans for the AC-47, Master do vulcans and all sorts of other barrels.  Several companies do the Bofors 40mm and you could substitute other guns.  FLIR can be found in several kits and detail sets.
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

McColm

What about a Bell-Boeing AV-22 Osprey? To avoid shooting itself down the pylons would be fitted above the sponsors and fired in hover mode.
Some kits have detailed cargo holds so a GPMG can mounted on the tail ramp. 1/48 scale would be ideal.

kitnut617

This in my idea, but too far along to join the GB. It's still in this state as it got shelved for a while. I made the blades shorter so it wouldn't have to do what was suggested above, just makes it a sitting duck -----

The build is here:  https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=45591.0

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

NARSES2

Quote from: tigercat on October 05, 2021, 07:53:03 AM
It's odd though tanks are 1/100 and guns 1/72 unless it's there version of box size

Must admit that's why I thought they were 15mm. Would have expected the figures to be more detailed if 20mm. Mind you they might be "true" 20mm in old time speak  :angel:

But I do like some of those artillery pieces, especially the earlier types.

Nick

I have a germ of an idea that will need a lot more consideration and planning. The parts are out there, it will be a question of doing a lot more research and getting them all together.

Working in 1/72 scale I shall need: a canal boat, British WW1 soldiers, Vickers and Lewis guns, a Boer War artillery piece, and a rather tubby officer in charge of it all.

I hope to give you the Walmington-on-Sea Home Guard Naval Detachment  ;D ;D