The Gunships GB - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

This will be the place for your general discussions on the GB which I will open up nearer the date. However so you are aware the GB will run from 1st November 2021 and finish on 31st January 2022

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

crudebuteffective

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 11, 2021, 07:45:31 AM
This will be the place for your general discussions on the GB which I will open up nearer the date. However so you are aware the GB will run from 1st November 2021 and finish on 31st January 2022

Chris

by 31st january you mean february 14th dont you LOL
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

kerick

I'm thinking about a B-25 or A-20 in the Pacific loaded with 0.50 caps in the nose, cheek mounts and wing pods with four 20mm or two 40mm below the fuselage and ammo stuffed in the bomb bay. No Japanese transport or destroyer would stand a chance. I'll have to look into this some more.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: kerick on October 01, 2021, 08:10:53 PM
No Japanese transport or destroyer would stand a chance. I'll have to look into this some more.

Neither would the poor B-25 crew as the combined recoil would effectively stop the aircraft midair..   ;D

But sod that. This is whifworld. More guns to the people!!  :wacko:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Quote from: crudebuteffective on October 01, 2021, 10:18:21 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on May 11, 2021, 07:45:31 AM

Chris

by 31st january you mean february 14th dont you LOL

I am for ever the optimist  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Flakvierling mounted on a Schwimmwagen?

Or a German equivalent of the LRDG Chevys and SAS/Commando Jeeps.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on October 02, 2021, 06:08:43 AM

Or a German equivalent of the LRDG Chevys and SAS/Commando Jeeps.

They'd have probably just pinched the Italian ones.

Carlos has done some neat profiles based on similar ideas.

Weaver

The Germans had a dinky AAA mount with 4 x MG 34s, but I don't know if anyone makes a model of it.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

McColm

I'm thinking of some of my past builds, the Avro York would make a great gunship project.
The parts from the 1/72 Italeri UH-60 Desert Hawk would work on a EH-101 Merlin.
U-boats had guns, I'm not too sure if they had anti-aircraft guns fitted but a Zeppelin might. Thoughts turn to a Gunship version of the Mayo layout Shorts Sunderland and a Hawker Hurricane combo.
Then there's the German Mistel combinations of Gunships, perhaps the Breguet Br1150 Atlantic ATL1 Gunship.

kerick

Quote from: Pellson on October 02, 2021, 05:50:54 AM
Quote from: kerick on October 01, 2021, 08:10:53 PM
No Japanese transport or destroyer would stand a chance. I'll have to look into this some more.

Neither would the poor B-25 crew as the combined recoil would effectively stop the aircraft midair..   ;D

But sod that. This is whifworld. More guns to the people!!  :wacko:

Here is a photo of an A-20 with 4.5" bazooka rockets, six under each wing.

That would take care of some of the recoil problem!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

zenrat

Quote from: Weaver on October 02, 2021, 10:39:47 AM
The Germans had a dinky AAA mount with 4 x MG 34s, but I don't know if anyone makes a model of it.

ICM do a 1/35 twin MG-34 mount - Zwillingssockel 36 (Zwillingssockellafette (ZwiSoLa))

Miniart do a Quad Maxim in the same scale.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

The Soviets had an equivalent I think.

Oddly whilst not possibly available in 1/72 there's lots of dinky 3D prints of similar weapons produced for the shipbuilding fraternity in 1/200 etc.

Old Wombat

Couldn't find what you were talking about but did find the 2cm Flakvierling 38.

Three kits that I found (click on the manufacturer's name to get more detail via BNA Model World);

Tamiya:

Orange Hobby:

AFV Club:

PS: After quite a bit of looking I could only find this quad-mount for MG.34s or MG.42s

Oh, and this;

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Weaver

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones