The Gunships GB - General Discussion

Started by NARSES2, May 11, 2021, 07:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on November 16, 2021, 02:17:53 AM
I feel inclined to tackle a literal submission to this GB in the form of a WWII monitor ship, probably RN use in North Africa for shore bombardments.

Oddly enough whilst in Birmingham New St station on Monday I was discussing that same concept with a guy who, in his very visible bag of Telford purchases, had the Trumpeter kit of HMS Roberts
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

I didn't know anyone did a kit of a Monitor, they're such an unusual sort of ship.

Hmmmmmm...............
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on November 17, 2021, 03:13:12 AM
I didn't know anyone did a kit of a Monitor, they're such an unusual sort of ship.

Hmmmmmm...............

It was 1/350 Kit. Looked nice in the box, the guy showed me  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

loupgarou

There is a paper kit of the M-15 in 1/100, by WAK. I'll have to build it, soon or later.... :rolleyes:
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Dizzyfugu

If I tackle a monitor ship, it will be a modded stock kit. Might be messy, but I think you can shorten a cruiser and modify the superstructure to fit into the concept. I recently got hands on a cheap 1:700 USS Arizona from Hobby Boss that qualifies for being sliced up.  :wacko: I am not aware of any WWII monitor type ship kit, though, at least in 1:700. There are 1:350 IP kits from Trumpeter, of HMS Roberts and Abercormbie.

NARSES2

Been musing on the idea of a "Shore Bombardment Ship" based on one of the 1890's pre-Dreadnaughts with those flat sunken turrets seemingly at random spots on the hull. You could replace the guns in the turrets with large mortars or howitzers, or maybe replace some of the turrets with barbettes or just gun pits ?

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

PR19_Kit

I do like the look of that.  :thumbsup:

One of my fave Douglas Reeman books is 'HMS Saracen', which is about a WWI monitor that also ends up in WWII, captained by a guy who was a midshipman aboard the same ship in WWI. Very good it is too.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

I have the book called 'Armed with Stings'. It's about RN gunboats in the Med' during WWII. The gunboats in question were the 'Insect Class'

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

loupgarou

I have very recently read:
Buxton Ian   Big gun monitors   Seaforth   Barnsley   2016
but it's only about british monitors.
Many other fascinating examples around the world, like in the american civil war where the south even had cotton-clad monitors, besides iron- and timber-clad ones.
And I am still trying to grab a book about Danube monitors.
Russians in WW2 had riverboats armed with T-34 turrets, what about an upgunned one with a KV-2 turret?
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on November 17, 2021, 09:08:10 AM

I've seen them mentioned in various histories but nothing else.

McColm

Another idea is to use a Corgi Major Chubb Pathfinder Airport Crash Tender.
I think that I have a battered example in the stash. A couple of large guns mounted on the top would make a battle bus with the right paint scheme.

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on November 18, 2021, 12:58:33 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on November 17, 2021, 09:08:10 AM

I've seen them mentioned in various histories but nothing else.

I think I once saw some info about Danube monitors/gunboats  in a publication about the "Insect" class China gunboats............But I can't remember which.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

buzzbomb

Quote from: kitnut617 on November 17, 2021, 09:06:51 AM
I have the book called 'Armed with Stings'. It's about RN gunboats in the Med' during WWII. The gunboats in question were the 'Insect Class'

International Models Asia (IMACO) has a a few River gunboats in their catalogue

http://www.imaco.com.hk/cgi-bin/prod.pl/keyword/Boats

jcf

QuoteIf I tackle a monitor ship, it will be a modded stock kit. Might be messy, but I think you can shorten a cruiser and modify the superstructure to fit into the concept.

The US Navy designed and built a single Inshore Fire Support Ship the USS Carronade.
Lindbergh did a kit that was also released under the label of "Bobtail Cruiser", for obvious reasons.
The kit is 1/170 scale and isn't hard to find having been re-released several times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Carronade_(IFS-1)

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/06/06001.htm

The primary armament was magazine fed rocket launchers.