The Águia-Pescadora Brazilian Navy Fighter/Attack aircraft of the 1990's

Started by Gondor, May 12, 2021, 02:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Quote from: Gondor on June 07, 2021, 02:44:11 AM
While looking at various bit's and pieces to work on I thought I would use the drawings I have to check the angle and length of the tailplanes. The person who made the drawings I am using was very helpful for those building the fuselage by removing them from the side elevation drawings  :banghead: so no go trying to work out angles and length as using just the plan view would end up short  :banghead:

Anyhoo, a quick google turned up an article from 2010 when someone was wanting to convert the Airfix 1/48 Hawk Mk.120 to a T-45 which resulted in a lot of useful information.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/60200-t-45-goshawk-from-hawk-mk-120/

Thought I would post it here for general information for those following this thread.

Gondor

Bloody hell!! That was about like trying to build a Spitfire mk 22 from a mk 1 kit..  :o

The lesson I learn here is to widen the whif-scope somewhat when I get to build my Matchbox Hawk 200. No trying to base anything on a T-45 development, rather writing a backstory that will cater for the development along Hawk lines..

I am not less impressed by your effort after this, Alastair. Rather the opposite.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

Quote from: Pellson on June 07, 2021, 03:29:29 AM

I am not less impressed by your effort after this, Alastair. Rather the opposite.  :thumbsup:

It's more along the lines of my being a glutton for punishment, especially if you take a look at some of the part finished builds I have dotted around this site. Maybe it's also the fact I have to be precise at work, aligning scientific equipment that measures in nanometers, although saying that, the part I align is not to that level of accuracy, thankfully  :rolleyes:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

Build has essentially stopped while I wait on the T-45 conversion set so I can use the wing as a guide for this build, however the back story is progressing nicely

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Gondor

The final items of the armament has arived!

Now its a matter of waiting on the Conversion/detail set from Air Graphic Models so I can rework the wing of the Italeri kit.

Gondor

Gondor

Yesterday evening I found a detail set, supposidly for a T-45C by "The Aviation Workshop & HawkeyeModels Australia" which has a set of decals and some resin detail parts.
The resin parts are for slats and flaps along with a compressed nose leg with wheels and a centre line pylon and pod and the enlarged hook fairing. No mention of squaering off the wings or extending the tail surfaces is mentioned.
Should make a nice basis for an Australian version.

Gondor

Gondor

So I managed to get around to using a sanding stick on the filler I added about two or three weeks ago. The results are patchy  ;D

There are some areas that need more work, just like my jokes  :rolleyes:

I think the use of knifing compound is next to try and smooth out the little hollows and dents.

Currently the model is drying in the kitchen after I used a toothbrush and some lightly soapy warm water to clean it after the sanding session.

Gondor

Gondor

Moar Boosters!!!!

Opps sorry, wrong thread  ;D

More Putty!!!!

This is the easy side to putty and hopefully will be dry for further sanding tomorrow so that I can add the same filler to the more complicated side with the gun.

I am also trying out a remedy to the peculiar line in the rear fuselage of the currant Airfix Hawk kits.

This is the problem

Directly above the arrow is a dip in the top line of the jet pipe, just below where the little fin has been added in front of the tailplane.

All of the currant Airfix Hawk variants have this dip which their far older kits don't. Italeri have the same dip on their Hawk 100 kit but not on their T Mk.1 or T-45 kits and the T-45 has the little fins in front of the tailplane as well.

So I hope that adding filler into the dip will enable me to correct the issue.

Gondor

AeroplaneDriver

I would love to build a naval Hawk 200...watching this has me wondering how well a 1/48 Hobbyboss 200 front would graft on to a Kinetic T-45 rear...  hmmm...
So I got that going for me...which is nice....

Gondor

Bit more PSR completed so primer time again to see what needs done for the next round.

It looks good in the pictures but my fingers tell me otherwise.

Near the bottom of the fuselage in the top picture, the edge undulates like a gentle ripple on a calm lake  :banghead:

In the second picture, the area around the gun trough has lots of small hollows that need work, I might be able to cover some of the lower ones with grills later but at the moment I'm not happy with it.

The third picture at least looks reasonable but has the problems listed above creeping in at the top and bottom of the picture.

The forth and fifth pictures just show the fuselage at an angle rather than side on. The forward fuselage looks a lot better in these two pictures, however that's not how the model will be displayed so more work is required, maybe drastic action for the non gun side of the fuselage to get a decent curve.

Gondor

Gondor

Turned out not to need as much work to get a reasonable edge to the non gun lower side of the fuselage, just a long file to keep the edge level all along it.

This is the next round of filler. The black lines were Stabilo pen so I would know where to add the filler, and the white filler is this...

which is ideal for filling in tiny dents and divits due to the nozzle it has.

Hopefully the PSR will be over tomorrow so I can work on other aspects of this build..... hopefully  :rolleyes:

Gondor

Gondor

I am calling a halt to further PSR on the forward fuselage for now as I think I have sanded it within-in an inch/2.54 cm of it's life  :lol:

Work has now moved to the tail area where the Chaff/Flare launcher from an Airfix Hawk kit is being added. The height of the tail may need addressed at some point but I will have to read up and cross reference with the kit the size.

I have also started work on a NAZA Model Art Hawk 200 conversion set using the Airfix Hawk 100 series kit as a basis.

Gondor

Gondor

Slight revising of some details of the aircraft. Weapons pylons now total Nine! This includes four dedicated pylons on and near the ends of the wings for air to air weaponry only.... well saying that dummy weapons and telemetry probes for ranges are also capable of being fitting onto these pylons as well.

Gondor

Gondor

The Aircraft now has a name. It's Brazilian Portuguese for Osprey. Had to come up with a name other than Goshawk for the wright up.

Gondor

Gondor

SAC metal undercarriage is on it's way  :thumbsup:

Gondor