India's Scrapyard Liberators

Started by Nick, May 16, 2021, 02:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

In 1948 India had no heavy bombers and were reduced to rolling bombs out of a Dakota. Then they remembered the old wartime B-24s in the breakers yard...

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Aircraft/History/927-B24.html#gsc.tab=0

PR19_Kit

IIRC the B-24 in the museum at Cosford is one of those ex-Indian ones.

A brilliant re-use of 'available assets'.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Quote from: Nick on May 16, 2021, 02:29:59 PM
In 1948 India had no heavy bombers and were reduced to rolling bombs out of a Dakota. Then they remembered the old wartime B-24s in the breakers yard...

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Aircraft/History/927-B24.html#gsc.tab=0

Weren't Indian B-24s used for maritime reconnaissance/patrol in the real world?

EDIT: lesson 1: follow link, read and then not ask the stupid question!  And yes, the Cosford example is ex-Indian.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

zenrat

That reads like a backstory written by someone here.

Thanks for the link Nick.  Good stuff.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Martin H

Quote from: kitbasher on May 17, 2021, 01:01:02 AM
EDIT: lesson 1: follow link, read and then not ask the stupid question!  And yes, the Cosford example is ex-Indian.

Correct. However it seems that she now resideds in the bomber command hall at Hendon.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.

kitnut617

My Dad was at RAF Digri (near what was Calcutta) with 617 Sqn at the end of WWII, he told me that Liberators were disposed of by belly landing them into the sea a few miles off the coast after anything useful had been removed. He later told me that the Indians retrieved a number of them from their watery grave.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Captain Canada

CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

JayBee

I do remember the news reoprt when it arrived from India in this country. (The UK)

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Martin H on May 17, 2021, 10:18:01 AM

Correct. However it seems that she now resideds in the bomber command hall at Hendon.

That would have been an interesting move down the motorway network, the Liberator's a BIG aeroplane!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Martin H

well the Valiant made the same trip in the opposite direction.............I would think they (the RAFM) have got moving large airframes across country down to a fine art by now.
I always hope for the best.
Unfortunately,
experience has taught me to expect the worst.

Size (of the stash) matters.

IPMS (UK) What if? SIG Leader.
IPMS (UK) Project Cancelled SIG Member.