Dutch National Police Anti-Riot Helicopter

Started by TomZ, May 18, 2021, 11:32:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomZ

Dutch National Police Anti-Riot Helicopter

When in 2020 the Covid measures of the Dutch government caused big demonstrations and even unrest and vandalism, the Dutch national police saw the need to create an anti-riot force which was better equipped to deal with larger numbers of hooligans. A project was started to find the equipment needed. This focused on three areas: the personal equipment of the individual force member, an urban vehicle to control larger crowds and an armed helicopter. Important considerations for all three were the available budget and the need for a speedy delivery and deployment.

The initial idea was to use the Apache combat helicopter that was also used by the Dutch Air Force. Budget constraints ruled this out, however. Instead, a number of Bell AH-1W SuperCobras was bought from the USA where it was retired from the US Marine Corps in 2020. The armament included tear gas rockets.

Model: Revell 1/48

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Glenn Gilbertson

Old Wombat

Remind me not to go to the Netherlands during any periods of internal strife! :o

Great stuff, Tom! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Pretty! Could certoinly be recyled for the upcoming "Gunships" GB.  ;)

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on May 18, 2021, 05:57:23 PM
Remind me not to go to the Netherlands during any periods of internal strife! :o

Must admit I was thinking it was a bit overkill, literally, and then remembered it's Eurovision in Rotterdam this week  :angel: ;)
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

TomZ

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 19, 2021, 06:18:35 AM
Must admit I was thinking it was a bit overkill, literally, and then remembered it's Eurovision in Rotterdam this week  :angel: ;)

Perhaps they should have used it BEFORE the start of eurovision. That would save a lot of awful television hours!
We have shows about "The way to....", "History of.....", all the past winners, two semi finals, one final, previews, discussions, etc, etc.....

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

NARSES2

Eurovision is something I avoid like the plague  ;D

Mind you as we are highly unlikely to win we won't have all the overkill of putting on next years show. The BBC still manage to "waste" countless hours on the thing anyway so the Lord knows what they'd be like if we did win ?  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.