Museum of Making

Started by Nick, May 22, 2021, 01:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

Britain's newest museum is the Museum of Making, dedicated to all things made by mankind. https://www.derbymuseums.org/museum-of-making/

Their first exhibition is on Scale

The centrepiece of the entry hall is a Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engine as used in Boeing 787s - quite fitting as RR have had a test lab in Derby for decades. I'm sure there must be something in there from British Rail whose research centre was just down the road.

PR19_Kit

That's the old Derby Industrial Museum under new management by the look of it.

In my time they had an RB-211 from a Tri-Star in the entrance hall, and lots of the stuff from the Railway Tech Centre ended down there  after we'd finished with it, including one of my hydraulic tilt packs for a while. But we had to ask for it back as we needed some parts for spares.  ;D

They not only test RR engines in Derby, they make them there too. The Nightingale Rd works is the original RR plant, and there's a much larger site out at Sinfin on the south side, as well as numerous small sites all over the area.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

When I was a nipper Derby was considered the home of Rolls Royce, indeed the two were synonymous with each other.

Prior to that Derby was famous for its lace making.

My maternal grandfather was a Derby man so I tended to hear a lot about the place back in the day  ;D Only ever been there for football though.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 23, 2021, 06:08:39 AM

Only ever been there for football though.

The Baseball Ground?  :-\

I used to live about 1/4 mile away from there, and parking was IMPOSSIBLE on a Saturday!  :banghead:

You either had to stay in, or else leave before lunch and not come back till dinner time!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Yup it would of been the Baseball ground back when I went. Long gone now, they pay at Pride Park

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on May 24, 2021, 06:31:22 AM

Yup it would of been the Baseball ground back when I went. Long gone now, they pay at Pride Park

Right across the main line from where I used to work. But no houses around there these days so they don't have a parking problem!

Regards
Kit