Post WWII Airliners that would be built ...

Started by ysi_maniac, May 22, 2021, 08:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ysi_maniac

What if North American Aviation decided to compete with Boeing 707 and DC-8?

Will die without understanding this world.

ysi_maniac

Enlarged version of Martin 4.0.4, equipped with the wings of XB-48 and their odd triple jet pods :mellow:

To avoid central undercarriage, not adequate for a liner, main u/c has been moved to sponsons in outer face of engine pods.

ysi_maniac

Airliner derived from Convair XB-46. Along with orignal XB-46

63cpe

Posted some pictures off this project some time ago. As it fits the topic i thought it might be fun to share this with you again.

IMG_20190202_202109529 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20190202_202129824 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

It'll be finished in classic Braniff colors soon.

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

jcf

Quote from: ysi_maniac on May 24, 2021, 07:54:26 PM
Enlarged version of Martin 4.0.4, equipped with the wings of XB-48 and their odd triple jet pods :mellow:

To avoid central undercarriage, not adequate for a liner, main u/c has been moved to sponsons in outer face of engine pods.

You most likely would no longer need the extreme 10ยบ dihedral of the 2-0-2/4-0-4 outer wing panels,
it was added on after major stability issues were revealed during testing of the 2-0-2 prototype. The
enlarged dorsal fin was also added at this time to increase the overall are of the vertical stabilizer.

The B-48 style engine installation would probably add enough side area to enable a reduction in the
dihedral.

PR19_Kit

A Braniff Jet Commando? :o

Woweee, what's not to like!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ysi_maniac

Regional liner based in North American B-45 Tornado.

ysi_maniac

Here three alternative Lockheed Jetliners of 50s. Starting with fuselage of Lockheed Electra L-188.

First 2 are my personal interpretation of project L-193, (Constellation II):  https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/lockheed-l-193-constellation-ii-jet-airliner-1953.16708/

The third one is a what if Lockheed tried the 707 / DC-8 option

Weaver

The idea for an early airliner I had was a Fouga one, with a V-tail and two engines in the rear fuselage fed by intakes in the tail fins. In effect, it would be like having two Tristar fins + centre engines at 45 deg, (but smaller).
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

PR19_Kit

That sounds interesting H.  :thumbsup:

IIRC one of the UK companies did suggest a somewhat similar setup for the Trident spec. but it came to naught of course. I'll have to look it up when I get home.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

ysi_maniac

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on May 28, 2021, 02:34:11 AM
That sounds interesting H.  :thumbsup:

IIRC one of the UK companies did suggest a somewhat similar setup for the Trident spec. but it came to naught of course. I'll have to look it up when I get home.

Avro 740: V-tail and three engines in separate pods, one left, one right, one top-centre.

"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

ysi_maniac

Along with RW Lockheed L-1011-500, here we have a twin derivative, with same engines but only two; Dash-600
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/lockheed-l-1011-tristar-twin-derivatives.18025/

And here, another Lockheed project: QuadStar derived from L-101-500 too, with four engines (like those of DC-10-10) in an original disposition that I will call "Evan config"  ;D
https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/a-big-longhaul-lockheed.6918/post-125679

ysi_maniac

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.