Advice needed

Started by Bungle, June 01, 2021, 05:48:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

IME sellotape isn't waterproof so have you tried leaving the parts soaking in water for a significant period?

There is a commercially available product here called "sticky stuff remover" which smells strongly of oranges and which removes sticky tape residue from the counters at work.

Alternatively we have found that hand sanitiser is also good at removing stubborn sticky patches.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: loupgarou on June 02, 2021, 03:16:00 AM

As Tesco is completely  unknown on the continent, I'll have to discover the exact composition of the wipes "solvent" to compare.

Not at all!

I came across an ENORMOUS Tescos on an ex-airfield in Pilsen (Czech Republic...) in 2006 or so. It was so big they sold cars and motorbikes there!  :o

I bought a new toothbrush, just so I could say I'd shopped in the world's biggest Tesco, which it was at the time.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

jcf

I'd try naptha aka lighter fluid, camp stove fuel, white gas also used as a thinner for varnish and
enamel paint VM & P (Varnish Maker & Painters)- I prefer it over "paint thinner/white spirit", or
something like Goof-Off or Goo Gone.

loupgarou

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 02, 2021, 07:14:30 AM
Quote from: loupgarou on June 02, 2021, 03:16:00 AM

As Tesco is completely  unknown on the continent, I'll have to discover the exact composition of the wipes "solvent" to compare.

Not at all!

I came across an ENORMOUS Tescos on an ex-airfield in Pilsen (Czech Republic...) in 2006 or so. It was so big they sold cars and motorbikes there!  :o

I bought a new toothbrush, just so I could say I'd shopped in the world's biggest Tesco, which it was at the time.

That's a surprise! Shame it's a bit far just to buy a packet of wipes. ;D
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

loupgarou

I use what you call white gas ( I suppose) sold in supermarkets as stain remover on model boxes or books to remove stickers and scotch tape.
It works well and doesn't damage printing ink.
The problem, like Bungle's, is with tape residues, left from old dried-up tape. I'll have to buy all available brands of baby wipes to see which work best.  :rolleyes:
I am afraid Zenrat's australian hand sanitizer would be deadly for "normal" people. :o
Owing to the current financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

The Wooksta!

Try WD40 - you must have a can tucked away somewhere - as I've used that in the past. Won't attack plastic either.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

NARSES2

Quote from: loupgarou on June 02, 2021, 10:47:47 AM
I'll have to buy all available brands of baby wipes to see which work best.  :rolleyes:

They have lots of other uses, so won't be wasted. I only discovered them after a minor operation a few years when the surgeon suggested I got some to not "clean up and subsequent residue" ? I had know idea what he meant until I used them  ;)

Quote from: The Wooksta! on June 02, 2021, 03:31:25 PM
Try WD40 - you must have a can tucked away somewhere - as I've used that in the past. Won't attack plastic either.

WD40 does most things  ;D

As for Tesco's. They opened up in France but pulled out in 2010. They lost a price war with Carrefour basically. The pair of them did sign up to a "Strategic purchasing alliance" in the 20 teens but that's not really worked out for them. However Carrefour may well use the same supplier/producer for their own branded baby wipes, indeed most own branded stuff is probably produced by one or two manufacturers to the same formula.  And yes, after 30 years of reading the business pages first thing I still do even though I'm long retired  ;D
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Hobbes

Quote from: loupgarou on June 02, 2021, 10:47:47 AM
I use what you call white gas ( I suppose) sold in supermarkets as stain remover on model boxes or books to remove stickers and scotch tape.

that's white spirit, I suspect.

Bungle

Hi all,

Thank you for your responses. I am currently trailling 'De-Solv_it' Sticky Stuff Remover on some scrap plastic. The wife has purchased baby wipes and WD40 has been found at the back of the shed.

More to come.
"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Julius Henry Marx (Groucho)