Republic Nightbolt Mk-I

Started by TomZ, June 08, 2021, 12:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: TomZ on June 09, 2021, 02:16:56 AM

I looked in my model and the space was empty  ;D ;D

Which is why there's enough space for the crew chief etc.  ;D ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Flyer

"I'm a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics." - Tow Mater.

"People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing all day." - A. A. Milne.

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Anyone fancy building one with an American Turret?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

Quote from: TomZ on June 09, 2021, 02:16:56 AM
Quote from: Weaver on June 09, 2021, 01:55:45 AM
That must have involved some 'interesting' re-routing of all the turbocharger/intercooler ducting, mind you... ;)

I looked in my model and the space was empty  ;D ;D

TomZ

That probably explains why your model doesn't fly so well too... ;)
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on June 10, 2021, 04:26:08 AM
Anyone fancy building one with an American Turret?

Maybe a ball turret underneath ?  :angel:

Can I ask a daft question ? Having no mechanical knowledge what so ever could you take all the supercharger gubbins out of the back of a Thunderbolt still allowing it to work/fly ? Or would you need to re-engine it ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Old Wombat

You'd not be far off having an aircraft with performance similar to that of a Defiant (even sans turret) or, worse, a Battle. :o
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on June 10, 2021, 06:50:15 AM
You'd not be far off having an aircraft with performance similar to that of a Defiant (even sans turret) or, worse, a Battle. :o

Cheers mate.

So all that "stuff" isn't essential, but offers a vast improvement. I've often wondered.

Snowtrooper

Are all the turbo bits in the P-47 really needed for sheer horsepower, or are they there more for maintaining high-altitude performance?

For example, Hellcat and Corsair also had the R-2800 engine but only used the built-in supercharger, it yielded about the same amount of horsepower as the turbocharged version but without all of the bulky and heavy bits. Of course, they had a lower critical altitude than the T-Bolt, which reached maximum performance 9000 metres/30000 feet and outperformed just about every piston-engined plane even above that (Hellcat and Corsair reached peak performance at about 6km/20000ft). The German bombers flew at lower altitudes than the Americans anyway (except for the occasional Ju 86P), so wouldn't the supercharged engine have been enough?

kitnut617

I would say Tom has got it right by using the 'razor-back' for his project. There would be just enough room I think for the turret. Mind you, you wouldn't have to provide heating for the gunner   ;D

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

PR19_Kit

I always thought it odd that the T'Bolt's turbo was MILES away from the engine, but then they were on the P-38 too, whereas the B-17 and B-24 had them very 'close coupled'.

I can't compare it with anything designed in the UK as we never used turbos over here, not as far as I know anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 10, 2021, 12:15:02 PM
I always thought it odd that the T'Bolt's turbo was MILES away from the engine, but then they were on the P-38 too, whereas the B-17 and B-24 had them very 'close coupled'.

I can't compare it with anything designed in the UK as we never used turbos over here, not as far as I know anyway.

Not used operationally, but the Wellington Mk.V had turbos in addition to the single stage supercharger.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Weaver

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 10, 2021, 12:15:02 PM

If you did that on a car you'd get horrible turbo lag, but that isn't so much of an issue for aircraft.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I've seen cars (conventional front engine - rear drive) with a turbo at the back under the boot.  Can't remember where or why.  Because of lag it'd have to be an application where the engine was running at sustained rpm.  Salt lakes racer maybe?

The use of a mechanically driven supercharger and an exhaust driven supercharger (turbocharger) on the same engine is not something i'm aware of in the car world.  Although i'm sure it must have been tried.
It has been done on truck engines.  Detroit Diesel built two strokes with both.
Fred