Re-engined Fairey IIIF - 1/72 Vacform

Started by buzzbomb, June 09, 2021, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzbomb

For a GB on BTS I have fossicked out an old Contrail Fairey IIIF as the basis for my build. What I am thinking is a late service Fairey IIIF, maybe used by the Irish Air Corps, but re-engined with with a more powerful radial engine.

Now, why I stopped building is lost to the dim dark past, but I think this..... is part of the reason

Engines.. well turns out to keep in the 20's 30's zone I have a bit of choice in the spares tin
Bristol Pegasus -

Bristol Jupiter - looks a bit like a PO-2

And the Perseus nicely cowled.

At this stage the Cowled Perseus is winning by a bit as it does look cool. Well they did with the Bristol Bulldog for Finland with a Bristol Mercury.

In fact having said that, maybe a IIIF MK VI with a Bristol Mercury in Finnish Markings would work as well.

PR19_Kit

A Contrail Fairey IIF?  :o

You really are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? Having said that, the work you've done so far on it looks IMMACULATE! Most impressive.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 09, 2021, 08:55:14 PM
A Contrail Fairey IIF?  :o

You really are a glutton for punishment, aren't you? Having said that, the work you've done so far on it looks IMMACULATE! Most impressive.  :thumbsup:

My sentiments entirely

:bow:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

An interesting world of British 20's-30's aircraft. Also did some more digging around getting background of engines and the IIIF or its heirs and successors tried quite a few.
Fairey Seal, Fairey Gordon, direct descendants, with different engines. Then there was sales to overseas buyers, often with a different engine.
It was almost that my proposed whiffer was a RW model  :o.

So back to work on the III <whatever>
No problems about redoing the awful injection stuff. That had been decided very early
Replaced the landing gear with brass and Aeroclub strut. Much easier

Revisited the rigging holes

Whacked in some new struts to the replace the 4x2 rough sawn timber looking things that had been supplied with the kit.

Plus another engine trial option. Something with a cowl is still winning methinks.

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Doug K

Definitely a cowl, but great work on the undercarriage

buzzbomb

Work proceeds
Basic paintwork with the Irish Air Corps markings of the time

let the mess of rigging commence. Pre-drilled holes in the wing, then superglued in rigging thread. On this model I am trying something a different technique as a trial, where the upper wing has holes all the way through, glue then re-finish.  Or should that have been the lower wing  :-\ We shall see

Gondor

Never having added rigging to an aircraft myself, I would have thought that fixing the finish on the upper side of the top wing would be easier as it's convex where as the underside of the lower wing is most likely concave and thus more difficult to deal with.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

zenrat

But if you male a mess of it the underside of the lower wing is hidden whereas the top of the upper wing is the most obvious place possible.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

Quote from: zenrat on June 23, 2021, 05:12:10 AM
But if you male a mess of it the underside of the lower wing is hidden whereas the top of the upper wing is the most obvious place possible.

I know, bit of a rock and a hard place. This is partly why I don't usually do biplanes and certainly not rigging if at all possible, which is usually always.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

PR19_Kit

I only ever built one biplane in my life, EXACTLY for that reason. Those wires would drive me crazy!  :banghead: :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Doug K

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2021, 05:57:15 AM
I only ever built one biplane in my life, EXACTLY for that reason. Those wires would drive me crazy!  :banghead: :banghead:

Yep, I've given up on my Stranraer for now, I foolishly thought it would be easier than my Gladiator & Siskin because it is bigger......

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

JayBee

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2021, 05:57:15 AM

The word you were looking for Kit was CRAZIER!  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!