Re-engined Fairey IIIF - 1/72 Vacform

Started by buzzbomb, June 09, 2021, 06:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on June 23, 2021, 08:58:30 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 23, 2021, 05:57:15 AM
I only ever built one biplane in my life, EXACTLY for that reason. Those wires would drive me crazy!  :banghead: :banghead:

The word you were looking for Kit was CRAZIER!  :rolleyes:

Yeah, OK Jim.  :thumbsup:

You've known me too long.  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Old Wombat

No, it's only CRAZIER if Kit extends the wings, thereby increasing the rigging! :wacko:

PS: I keep having to remind myself this is a vacuform kit! Brilliant! :bow:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Quote from: Doug K on June 23, 2021, 08:11:02 AM
I only ever built one biplane in my life, EXACTLY for that reason. Those wires would drive me crazy!  :banghead: :banghead:

Yep, I've given up on my Stranraer for now, I foolishly thought it would be easier than my Gladiator & Siskin because it is bigger......

No no no.  Many more wires to attach.  I'm constantly tempted by a 1/72 Stranraer but stop myself with thoughts of all those lines to rig.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Doug K

Quote from: zenrat on June 24, 2021, 04:14:45 AM
Quote from: Doug K on June 23, 2021, 08:11:02 AM

Yep, I've given up on my Stranraer for now, I foolishly thought it would be easier than my Gladiator & Siskin because it is bigger......

No no no.  Many more wires to attach.  I'm constantly tempted by a 1/72 Stranraer but stop myself with thoughts of all those lines to rig.

Very wise :o

JayBee

Many years ago I heard this old tale from an RAF Rigger.

Get a Canary and put it between the wings. If it can fly out, there  is a wire missing!

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

PR19_Kit

Quote from: JayBee on June 24, 2021, 09:01:32 AM

Many years ago I heard this old tale from an RAF Rigger.

Get a Canary and put it between the wings. If it can fly out, there  is a wire missing!

Hehehe my Dad said the same thing about Audaxes, and after building this I could see JUST what he meant!

Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Many years ago I had started a biplane and wanted to build it with the rigging. But as you folk have found, how do you do it without having bits of wire to clean up ---- well, I thought that I might leave the two wings not having the top and bottom halves glued together, then I was going to build a jig so the wing side that attaches to the struts would be held firmly, run the wires through those wing bits and then glue the wire loose ends to the inside the wing. I would then glue the other wing parts to the assembled wing parts.

Of course I never finished it --- and it's somewhere in the stash --- I think, I haven't seen it in years -----
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

buzzbomb

I have used a few methods to rig, this is the first time trying this method.
Normal method is to drill holes at the top of each strut, then thread a single piece of thread through. Not a 100% accurate, but it generally looks ok.

This method, Ok.. so far.. pretty average, couple of wires did not play at 100%
I used some 110 denier Lycra Rigging Thread, which is nice and stretchy.

Agricultural jig to hold the aircraft, upside down to help with feeding through the wires.

Wires were fed through and glued one at a time, working from back to front. Hold onto the excess, give a small bit of tension, put on a teeny tiny dob of Superglue, wait, wait, wait (repeat until your inner demons say release), then release slowly. So as to not ping it back. The idea being the glue is pull down into the hole.

Give it 30 mins or so, then with a new scalpel blade and I did use a scalpel, grab a wire, pull slightly and wick off with the blade. The object being for the excess thread to hopefully move back into the hole. Again, mostly appeared to work ok

Fill the holes with a water based filler, like Vallejo or similar

Next steps will be to see if that worked as expected then repaint.
More to follow

buzzbomb

Probably call this as done.

Not strong on backstories but here we go.
The fledgling Irish Air Corps wanted a GP/Coastal Surveillance Aircraft. Looking to Britain the Fairey IIIF fitted the requirements, although they wanted a more powerful engine. So fitting a cowled Bristol Mercury Engine, replacing the normal Napier Lion. This fitted more with the other aircraft that had radial engines coming online. Renamed the Fairey Finbar, this aircraft gave stirling service to Ireland, being finally retired in 1944 after spares became very scarce.

Added wheels and exhaust system and fitted the seats. There is a more rigging but the rigging mojo has moved on ;)

PR19_Kit

That would be a great model if it was built from a mass production injected kit, but as it's from a Contrail vacform, AND Whiffed as well, it's MIRACULOUS!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

stevehed

Scotaidh

That's excellent!  The cowling really gives it a pugnacious look - it makes the model, IMHO.  :)
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."