DONE @p.2 +++ 1:72 Grumman F8F-1B Bearcat, Khmer National Aviation (AVNK), 1970

Started by Dizzyfugu, June 11, 2021, 12:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dizzyfugu

As already mentioned in the general discussion thread, I will be in with a simple build. I originally had the plan to build a real-world AVNK AD-4N some day, after I had found a profile and b/w pictures of these aircraft. However, when I recently dug through The Stash™ I came across a Monogram F8F (in a Revell re-boxing, though) and wondered about a different livery for this small fighter – and the AVNK idea popped up again. I also had a suitable roundel set at hand, and so...

More coming soon.

Dizzyfugu

Things started moving, here the main ingredients:

1:72 Grumman F8F-1B ,,Bearcat"; Khmer National Aviation (Aviation Nationale Khmère; AVNK) Intervention Group; Pochentong airbase, Phnom Penh/Cambodia, 1970 (What-if/Monogram kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

First hours of day #1 spent with lots of cleaning, the old Monogram Bearcat comes with some flash and some weird ejection marks, e.g. on the propeller blades or inside of depressions on the landig gear covers.

1:72 Grumman F8F-1B ,,Bearcat"; Khmer National Aviation (Aviation Nationale Khmère; AVNK) Intervention Group; Pochentong airbase, Phnom Penh/Cambodia, 1970 (What-if/Monogram kit) - WiP
by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Overall, the kit is a simple affair, even though I will make some cosmetic changes. The engine will receive a styrene tube adapter for the peopeller's new metal axis. The pilot figure will be more modern, with a "bone dome" instead of a soft WWII cap. I also implanted a dashboard into the cockpit - there is a kind of instrument board, but it is split vertically, looking quite goofy. The cockpit walls were decorated with fake ribs, but I will probably never be seen again, once the fuselage halves are closed.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Dizzyfugu

Dizzyfugu

Early day #2 - first round of PSR finished, more than expected, because the Monogram F8F kit has a funny construction with one-piece wings and stabilizers that are inserted into/between the fuselage halves. While this is a very stable solution, the wing/fuselage intersections tends to retain rather deep/open seams.

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Further custom plan: I will omit the small OOB bombs with their vintage box tails and replace them with what is supposed to look like BLU-1 napalm tanks - scratched from leftover drop tanks (shortened and with blunt ends).

by Dizzyfugu, on Flickr

Pilot has been painted, too, as well as most of the landing gear - as a color twist the aircraft will receive a landing gear in USN colors (interior green wells, dark sea blue struts and wheel discs), because the AVNK Bearcats were taken over from the French Aéronavale, which carried the classic all-blue USN livery. I might also give the aircraft a blue replacement part later, e. g. an aileron, for a weird look, but that's TBD, because the machines will in 1970 already have carried their new AVNK livery for a while. But maybe the replacement part had been resurrected/cannilbalized from an old F8F wreck in storage...?  :angel:

Pellson

I'm happy to send you a pair of leftover napalm canisters, should you want them. L er me know.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Dizzyfugu

Thanks a lot for the offer, but the scratched ones look pretty good and they already received their initial coat of paint. ;)
Furthermore, I just glued the windscreen into its place and started working on small bits like better shackles for the underwing pylons, extra struts for the drop tank and antennae on/under the hull.

Gondor

I have one of those in my stash somewhere which has the adition of a detail set with it and mine will be a real world French aircraft so looking forward to how you deal with the kit.

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Dizzyfugu

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Gondor on June 13, 2021, 05:28:18 AM
I have one of those in my stash somewhere which has the adition of a detail set with it and mine will be a real world French aircraft so looking forward to how you deal with the kit.

Gondor

Well, so far only small surprises. It's a typical vintage Monogram kit with raised (yet fine) details and vague fit - even though nothing fatal. PSR was basically necessary at any seam, esp. the unique wing/fuselage solutions calls for some filling. The cockopit interior is bare, but except for the (quite nice) seat and maybe the dashboard (which I improved with a dummy) nothing can be seen later. The clear parts (two pieces) are very clear, but came with lots of flash and the windscreen's attachment point to the sprue (at the front's base) create some wacky gaps on the kit. The landing gear is simple but O.K., very robust, but the wells are totally empty, and the oil cooler intakes are just holes - I filled them with bits of foamed styrene. There are certainly better F8F kits (e.g. the Art Model kit with resin parts), but for a "budget build" or a conversion this one is a good starting point.

NARSES2

I've built a couple of these, one Monogram original and the second a Revell ? re-box. As you say typical Monogram of the period and a little bit of work will be rewarded.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

I've built one of the Revell editions and i remember having lots of work with gaps so i know what you're going through.
I've had to stick some styrene strips to close the gaps on the wing to fuselage joints. It is an old and cheap kit so i guess we can't complain too much.
Just checked back on my build thread and found that the pics are missing, it was due to the Photobucket debacle... :banghead:

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 14, 2021, 11:45:08 PM

- the F8F stands really tall!

It's got to because of that SOCKING great prop! And then they had to make the gear legs shrink to retract them.

Looking pretty darn good so far Thomas.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Finish line draws closer: the Bearcat received some more weathering and a coat with matt acrylic varnish.  :lol: