Lockheed F/A-19 A/B Typhoon

Started by McColm, June 11, 2021, 03:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McColm

What if the USAF had chosen the Eurofighter Typhoon instead of the F-22 Raptor. With stiff competition from the F-15 camp and likewise the F/A-18 . The politicians debated whether or not a foreign built aircraft had a place in the Air Force.
The USNavy asked for a carrier version to be built. An extended nose wheel,  folding radar: vertical tail fin and folding wings witha reinforced arrestor hook. This was passed to the USMarines who took up the gauntlet.
The USMarines quickly saw the potential for the Typhoon as a ground attack,  reconnaissance and EW platform as well as a fighter/interceptor. Opting for the two seater as the standard layout.
Lockheed won the contract to modify 12 Typhoons using American engines and a familiar cockpit so that it wasn't necessary for dedicated trainers to be built. With the second cockpit Lockheed lengthened the fuselage slightly to compensate for the fuel lost.
The USNavy took an interest when the Typhoons started trials on the assault ships,  the short take off without a catapult was very impressive which led to trials with a ski ramp. Monies were made available for an initial batch of 30 aircraft to be pooled by both the USNavy and USMarines.
The USAF would have the  F/A-19 A /B a mixture of single and two seaters,  whilst the USNavy were designated the     
F/A-19 C with the USMarines the D.
During the sea trials conformal fuel tanks were fitted and became standard issue this was designated with a +.
The Typhoons would start to replace the older Hornets and Super Hornets,  although not built in the numbers as the
F-16 the Typhoons once again replaced the F-16s with the most flying hours. Some F-15 A, B C and D Squadrons were replaced with the Typhoons. Whilst plans for a dedicated E/F bomber with a 25% bigger wings made it into production. The wings at the production stage had grown to 30% with a hydraulic edge that dropped downwards whilst in flight to aid super cruise.
Well that's the theory.
The build
I have in the past experimented with larger wings on the Airfix 1/72 Eurofighter Typhoon kit and Revell single plus twin seater. They might not be the best kits to build but with a bit of putty/filler you can turn out something decent. I don't know if Freightdog still sells the extended nose wheel leg for the F-4 Phantom but I used one of those on my attempt of the Sea Typhoon and raided my spares boxes for a slightly larger arrestor hook. I ended up using the wings from the Airfix F-18 Hornet but kept the single tail fin.
The wings from a 1/72 F-15 and a F-117 also fit the Airfix Typhoon old kit. Something larger would be the Dassault Mirage  IVP wings. I think I have the kit in the stash somewhere.
I will probably buy a few more so I can build the USAF pre-production version,  I haven't seen any 1/72 Typhoon conformal fuel tanks but they do sell the ones for the F-16 and they seem to fit.

Dizzyfugu

I doubt that the F-16 tanks would fit - the Typhoon's conformal tanks rather look like simple, large drop tank halves, just stuck to the fuselage. Should be easy to mimic. The F-16 tanks have a much different shape and the surface they cling to is concave!

BTW, the Rafale could have been an alternative, too, and there was/is also a navalized version radily available?

PR19_Kit

'Conformal' tanks seem to have only to conform to the existing shape of the aeroplane. None of them 'conform' to the outer shapes, almost every version looks as ugly as sin!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

McColm

No wonder I had to cut the F-16 conformal fuel tanks to fit. I was saving the Rafale for a rainy day. In my alternative history the Eurofighter Typhoon was cancelled causing the M.O.D. U.K .to buy the Rafale underlience for the RAF and FAA for carrier operations but kept the name Typhoon using British/European  engines and avionics.

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 11, 2021, 04:04:48 AM
I doubt that the F-16 tanks would fit - the Typhoon's conformal tanks rather look like simple, large drop tank halves, just stuck to the fuselage. Should be easy to mimic. The F-16 tanks have a much different shape and the surface they cling to is concave!

Did the Eurofighter consortium ever certify these tanks for use? I've only seen them in photos from static displays - and of course the oh so pretty Omani sales painting.
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

scooter

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 11, 2021, 05:26:42 AM
'Conformal' tanks seem to have only to conform to the existing shape of the aeroplane. None of them 'conform' to the outer shapes, almost every version looks as ugly as sin!

Dunno...IMHO, F-15C/D/E/etc. conformal tanks actually improve the look of the airplane.

Instead of this:

You get this

(And just by sheer coincidence, its an Eagle from the 57th FIS/FS from NASKEF)
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

PR19_Kit

Yes, you could be right there.  :thumbsup:

But the F-16's and the Typhoons look like they're stuck on there. :(
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

Knightflyer

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on June 11, 2021, 04:04:48 AM

I must admit these look like something I'd attempt as a modeller ......  ;D

I can understand that 'conformal' relates to how they fit to the surface of the fighter underneath them, and I suppose 'half drop tanks' are fairly aerodynamic, but the F-15 conformal tanks do at least look like somebody made a bit of effort..... rather than the design stage being an Airfix kit and some spares from the stash!  ;D
Oh to be whiffing again :-(

McColm

The conformal fuel tanks were supposed to be introduced in the Tranche 4 package update but none of the customers have ordered them. They have gone for the new radar instead.

Pellson

Quote from: McColm on June 12, 2021, 12:48:38 AM
The conformal fuel tanks were supposed to be introduced in the Tranche 4 package update but none of the customers have ordered them. They have gone for the new radar instead.

So probably certified, then. Thanks Mac. Much appreciated.
I actually do like the looks of them whereas I find the F-16 ones hideous. Can't say why, but I will need to do something about a Typhoon any day soon.  :wub:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

McColm

I think that I am right in saying that the RAF are waiting for a flying prototype of the Tempest before they order the Tranche 5 Typhoon.

PR19_Kit

Overwing tanks, like a Lightning, that's the way to go.  :thumbsup:

That'll be a REAL Lightning, the one with its engines on top of each other...............

Regards
Kit

McColm

Quote from: PR19_Kit on June 12, 2021, 05:11:25 AM
Overwing tanks, like a Lightning, that's the way to go.  :thumbsup:

That'll be a REAL Lightning, the one with its engines on top of each other...............
I wonder why no one else has copied that layout?

kitbasher

Because it's a pig of a design in maintenance terms.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

kerick

The Jaguar had over wing Sidewinders which must have been fun for the weapons loaders.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise