The Ardennes 1940

Started by NARSES2, July 03, 2021, 05:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Wombat

'Tis a weird little thing! :unsure:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

NARSES2

Quote from: Old Wombat on March 05, 2022, 01:04:56 AM
'Tis a weird little thing! :unsure:

T''is indeed  ;D Even weirder in my mind is that it was meant to be a two seat fighter and whilst the proposed forward firing armament is known (1 x 20mm cannon, 2 mg's) the rear gunner's isn't :unsure:

Westland "played" with the wing layout in the UK

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Did Westland actually build the Delanne Lysander or was it just a proposal?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Rheged

"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

Amazing, I love the look of that.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

kitbasher

Mad machine, Chris - fascinating!
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

NARSES2

The Real World (Courtesy of Wikipedia)

The Arsenal-Delanne 10-C2 two-seat fighter, designed by Maurice Delanne and built by the Arsenal de l'AĆ©ronautique, was of so-called Nenadovich biplane or tandem wing configuration, the tandem-mounted wings providing a continuous slot effect and offering exceptional centre of gravity range. Pilot and gunner sat in tandem under a single canopy at the rear of the fuselage, which was level with the rear wing, which carried twin tailplanes. This arrangement gave the gunner a clear field of fire for his planned armament of two 7.5 mm machine guns, which was to be supplemented by a 20 mm cannon firing through the propeller hub and two more machine guns in the wing.

The Arsenal-Delanne 10-C2 prototype was virtually complete at Villacoublay when German forces occupied the factory in June 1940. Work on the aircraft continued in a desultory fashion and the first flight test was made in October 1941. After completion of the initial test programme, the aircraft was ferried to Germany for further trials.

What if ?

When the German's launched their invasion of Belgium on May 10th 1940 four Arsenal-Delanne 10-C2's were in various stages of construction at the Arsenal factory. Two of the aircraft had flown and although they hadn't had their armament fitted they were immediately sent to The Ardennes in order to replace GAO 518's Breguet 270's in the short range observation and artillery spotting role. This particular aircraft S-10 was shot down by a pair of Me 109's on 11th May 1940 whilst overflying the German armoured formations.

Kit is from the box, apart frrom the upper and lower aerial and the pitot which I've scratched. Transfers are from a combination of the boxing and the spares box. Paints are from the Hataka French AF Set

Finished

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Tophe

:wub: Wow! Congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

Weaver

That looks great - nice one. :thumbsup:
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Rheged

That is most impressive, well done Chris.

But the question still remains "  Had De Lanne been at that funny sherbet again?"
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

PR19_Kit

A fascinating aeroplane indeed, and being French, that camo really suits it.  :thumbsup:

I bet those Me-109s had a bit of a job figuring out which way it was going!  :o

I'd like to see how the Delanne wing idea developed, in WhiffWorld of course, there must be bags of scope there.....  ;)

Regards
Kit

Wardukw

Lovely weird little brid Chris ..love the clean paint ..hell its clean all over and damn nice work on the canopy ..i do like the weird  aircraft and this one counts :thumbsup:
If it aint broke ,,fix it until it is .
Over kill is often very understated .
I know the voices in my head ain't real but they do come up with some great ideas.
Theres few of lifes problems that can't be solved with the proper application of a high explosive projectile .

TomZ

This looks suitably weird indeed!

TomZ
Reality is an illusion caused by an alcohol deficiency

Tophe

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 11, 2022, 11:28:50 AM
I'd like to see how the Delanne wing idea developed, in WhiffWorld of course, there must be bags of scope there.....  ;)
In the half-real world of design bureaus (not armies), there were supersonic jet Delannes in the 1950s, in UK if I remember correctly. I have seen that in a book of mine but I don(t remember which one.
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

perttime

Quote from: PR19_Kit on March 11, 2022, 11:28:50 AM
There was the Westland P.12 Lysander Delanne, unofficially referred to as the "Westland Wendover".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Lysander#Variants
http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/strange_vehicles/westland_p12_wendover.html