Main Menu

The Ardennes 1945

Started by NARSES2, July 03, 2021, 05:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tophe

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 07, 2021, 06:17:01 AM
the vac form canopy to make it more of a late war "bubble" type rather than the horrible early war "greenhouse" type the real thing flew with.
Good whif improvement, congratulations! :thumbsup:
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

It's something that i find horrible in WWII era fighters, those greenhouse type of canopies... I guess they were needed at the time but they look bad. I can also think of a few jets that could do with a bubble/teardrop shape canopy, the F4D Skyray is one but there are more.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on September 08, 2021, 06:22:26 AM
It's something that i find horrible in WWII era fighters, those greenhouse type of canopies... I guess they were needed at the time but they look bad.

I think some types can get away with them, but some do look terrible and the Moonbat is one of them.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

DogfighterZen

Well, i have to agree, the P-40 and early P-47s are some of those for me. Still, i can imagine a Zero with a bubble canopy and i think it would look good.
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on September 08, 2021, 06:41:12 AM
Still, i can imagine a Zero with a bubble canopy and i think it would look good.

Indeed, or at least far fewer frames

NARSES2

Removed the canopy masking and there's still a couple of spots at the canopy/rear fuselage join area that could do with a little more work, so filler has been applied.

Also dug out all the transfers needed from various spares boxes  :thumbsup:

Been musing on a back story and so far I've got a couple of options.

a) Go into some detail, but my knowledge of the German 1944 Ardennes offensive is very basic and whilst I've got some references (inc. the Osprey Campaigns book) I could read up on while travelling in the next couple of weeks I'll probably be lazy and opt for option b.  :angel:

b) Basic background info for the scenario she sits in.

If I'm honest I'm not really into writing detailed and lengthy backstories unless my brain is really in the mood. If it is I enjoy it, otherwise it's a bit of a chore. I must admit I'm in awe of some people on sites ability to write back stories.

Tophe

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 09, 2021, 06:28:12 AM
I must admit I'm in awe of some people on sites ability to write back stories.
Whif back stories are good and bad at the same time.
Good for us enjoying unreal dreams. <_<
Bad for Historians and Politicians saying this is fake news, horrible lies... :angry: :-\

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on September 09, 2021, 06:28:12 AM

I must admit I'm in awe of some people on sites ability to write back stories.

I'm exactly the other way round. I really enjoy playing with words, starting with undeniable fact and leading the reader off into the realms of fiction.

I'm in awe of the ability of some people on this site to work marvels with styrene and/or resin!
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

NARSES2

Quote from: Rheged on September 09, 2021, 08:32:43 AM

I'm exactly the other way round. I really enjoy playing with words, starting with undeniable fact and leading the reader off into the realms of fiction.

I'm in awe of the ability of some people on this site to work marvels with styrene and/or resin!

I find I get to bogged down in the history and what I thought was just some gentle research for a few facts becomes a major project, which I enjoy, but doesn't help with writing the scenario. I'm much better off if the scenario involves an area/period I'm comfortable with, but there's not much call for air power in the 1750/1850 timescale  ;D

NARSES2

I can now live with the canopy join so final, hopefully, piece of painting done and is drying.

I'm out and about this week so nothing will get done until next weekend at the earliest. Who knows the Xtracolour might be dry  :angel:. Once I get back to the bench it's transfers and then undercarriage etc. At least all the remaining bits have been assembled as far as possible and painted so this should get finished by the deadline, but in this world of hours today who can really tell ?

NARSES2

Manage to get the fairly minimalist transfers on this morning before my brain and body stopped collaborating with each other, although to be fair to the pair of them they weren't feeling that great on their own.  :angel:

Off traveling again this coming week, but I might get a little work done before I go.

NARSES2

Well "Christine" has had her matt coat and is now standing on her own legs, well two of them at least. So, hopefully on finals now

Tophe

NARSES2

Nearly there, on finals now. Must remember to fit her props though, seriously, she just looks as if she should be jet powered to me.