Airspeed AS.68 Imperial

Started by 63cpe, July 05, 2021, 12:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

63cpe

Finally finished:

The Airspeed Imperial was developed in response to a requirement identified by the Brabazon Committee for a four-engined long-to-medium-haul airliner. Airspeed assembled a design team in 1943, which initially worked on a smaller proposal powered by Bristol Hercules radial engines; this was quickly superseded by a larger capacity design aimed at better fulfilling the expansion in postwar civil air travel, although several figures doubted Airspeed's projections. While outfitted with the older Rolls Royce Peregrine engines, the Imperial was designed to accommodate four Napier Eland turboprop engines, a then-recent innovation. Its fuselage was compatible with pressurisation, this being an optional feature offered to customers.

On 10 July 1946, the first prototype Imperial conducted its maiden flight; a total of three prototypes were built. Early on, British European Airways (BEA) emerged as an key customer for the type, having placed a £3 million order for 20 aircraft in September 1947 opting for either the Imperial or the Ambassador. In the end the more modern Ambassador was chosen  being introduced to service in 1951. In the end the three prototypes were sold to the RAF for service in the Air support command and gave excellent service. Imperials were known for being comfortable, stabile and fast.

The Imperial was quickly outperformed by the turboprop-powered Vickers Viscount, Moreover the spareparts supply for the ageing Peregrines was getting a bigger problem year by year. The last Imperials were grounded in 1958 and sold for scrap in 1963.

IMG_20210705_203749584 (2) by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20210705_203826697 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20210705_203900987 (2) by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

IMG_20210705_204019189 by Buddy Holly, on Flickr

More pictures of the build here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsonsspecial/albums/72157712632879918

Hope you like it.
David aka 63cpe

PR19_Kit

Now they're some SERIOUS wings!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love it, but what did you use to build it? Cockpit from a Jetstar perhaps, and engines from a Mossie or a Hornet?

[Later] Ah, it is a Lockheed canopy, but not a Jetstar.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

63cpe

It's made of mostly 1/144 and 1/100 parts. My goal was to make something with as much as possible 1/100-144 parts and minimal 1/72 parts, but still make it recognizable as 1/72. It's made from: 1/144 Monogram Constellation, outerwings from 1/94 F-27 Friendship, nosecone is from an 1/144 B-47, 4x RR Peregrine engines from 1/72 Westland Whirlwinds and a 1/72 Lockheed Hudson canopy. Maingear is from an 1/94 F-27 Friendship, nose gear is from spares box (can't recollect what donated it).

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

kitbasher

Gosh, that's a complicated cocktail of components  :thumbsup:
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter

Pellson

Fascinating, and almost anorexic, in a way. I'm not really sure what to make of it..
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

JayBee

Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

buzzbomb

Very effective cocktail though.

Nice work melding that together

Glenn Gilbertson

That incredible mixture has produced a beauty - well done! :thumbsup:

Scotaidh

That's a whole nother level of kitbashing!  Well done!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thistle dew, Pig - thistle dew!

Where am I going?  And why am I in a handbasket?

It's dark in the dark when it's dark. Ancient Ogre Proverb

"All right, boyz - the plan iz 'Win.'  And if ya lose, it's yer own fault 'coz ya didn't follow the plan."

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

comrade harps

Whatever.

Dizzyfugu

NARSES2

Quote from: Glenn Gilbertson on July 05, 2021, 06:45:18 PM
That incredible mixture has produced a beauty - well done! :thumbsup:

Couldn't have put it better  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

63cpe

Thank you all, I appreciate you comments very much!

@Pellson, yeah, it is looking a little like Twiggy if you'd put it next to a 1/96 Brittania. I guess the peregrines add to the sleek lines.

Cheers,
David aka 63cpe

Tophe

Elegant! :thumbsup:
And looking so "right" I asked Google if this airplane was true, but Google directed me only to this page here, so: inventive (geniusly) ;)
[the word "realistic" hurts my heart...]