American V-8 engine dimensions page

Started by jcf, July 05, 2021, 12:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcf

PR19_Kit

VERY useful Jon.  :thumbsup:

Will you just LOOK at the weight of a late model Hemi!  :o :o :o

And I thought a Jag V12 was heavy at 684 lbs!
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Hobbes

I'm surprised at the weight difference between the Allison 1710 and the Merlin. Or (also in view of the difference in length) would they have omitted the supercharger on the Allison?

zenrat

When shoehorning model engines into vehicles they were never meant to power I have found the critical dimensions are often the height and width of the rocker boxes at the rear of the engine.

Interesting list Jon.

The 215 cube Buick/Olds is the one which became the Rover V8.
Does "Late Hemi" mean the modern ones or the '64 and on 426ci engines?  I presume the sixties engines as otherwise they are an odd omission.

The Ford Cammer is significantly lighter than the Late Hemi (85lb).  They would definitely have given the blue oval an advantage if they had been allowed to run them at NASCAR events.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 06, 2021, 03:40:11 AM

You can see why it became so popular, it weighed about HALF that of the other V8s.

IIRC the sand cast Rover version was a trifle heavier than the die cast GM versions, but not much.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

zenrat

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 06, 2021, 03:56:29 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 06, 2021, 03:40:11 AM

You can see why it became so popular, it weighed about HALF that of the other V8s.

IIRC the sand cast Rover version was a trifle heavier than the die cast GM versions, but not much.

Did they have an aluminIUM block?
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

PR19_Kit

They certainly did, yes.

The Rover V8, when installed in the MGB, weighed LESS than the old 1.8 litre 'B' engine!  :o

Regards
Kit

jcf

Quote from: Hobbes on July 05, 2021, 11:57:07 PM
I'm surprised at the weight difference between the Allison 1710 and the Merlin. Or (also in view of the difference in length) would they have omitted the supercharger on the Allison?

The dimensions on the V-12s appear to be without the propeller reduction gear
assemblies etc. The supercharger assemblies on both types would be removed
for an automotive installation. The centrifugal superchargers aren't really suited
to a vehicle that accelerates and decelerates constantly, they're more suited to
steady speed operation. Which is why centrifugal superchargers dominated in
US oval racing and Roots-type superchargers were the dominant type in Grand
Prix racing.

The V-1710 design is actually quite modular in construction, which is just one of
the reasons that the delay of development of an improved supercharger is puzzling.

Rheged

Quote from: PR19_Kit on July 06, 2021, 06:37:33 AM
They certainly did, yes.

The Rover V8, when installed in the MGB, weighed LESS than the old 1.8 litre 'B' engine!  :o

Ah, yes!  This is the engine that made a lovely noise in my brother-in-law's MGB.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Fred