Oswald Bastable - Mounted Reconnaissance. Finished pics pg 7.

Started by zenrat, July 09, 2021, 04:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

Reconnaissance the old fashioned way.  I haven't built one of these for years.  And i've never whiffed one.

Recce by Horseback by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

The kit shows signs of worn moulds - prominent mould separation lines, sinkmarks, flash and fit is poor.

10th Hussar 1815 WIP 09-07-21 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
10th Hussar 1815 WIP 09-07-21 04 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And finally, a picture of our prime minister.

10th Hussar 1815 WIP 09-07-21 05 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Gondor

That's a bit unfair on the horse!

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

NARSES2

That wasn't one of the better figures they did back then from memory, but anatomically the horse is quite good.

Interesting to see what you do with this. Mounted infantry/light horse has been used until quite recently, may still be being used for all I know, in Southern Africa in particular.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Rheged

From the material shown, are we to expect a hussar of the Napoleonic period with an AK47?   No wonder Wellington rated his mounted troops so highly!

Your last pic is not a very flattering view of the horse.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

scooter

Quote from: Rheged on July 09, 2021, 09:15:45 AM
No wonder Wellington rated his mounted troops so highly!

Marshal Soult had, at least according to the movie Waterloo, a different opinion: "They are the noblest cavalry in Europe; and the worst led."
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

sandiego89

Your last pic is not a very flattering view of the horse.

Afterburner nozzle?  ;D

Afghanistan would still work. 
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

Wasn't there a figure of a modern Delta force or some such riding a horse in the 'stan?
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

buzzbomb

I am more interested in the Wolsely Helmet heads.. that really has me intrigued.
Hmmmm Steampunky Cavalry

Anything you do will be worth the wait  :thumbsup:

NARSES2

Quote from: scooter on July 09, 2021, 10:17:59 AM
No wonder Wellington rated his mounted troops so highly!

Marshal Soult had, at least according to the movie Waterloo, a different opinion: "They are the noblest cavalry in Europe; and the worst led."

He was allegedly only referring to the charge of the Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons) but unfortunately that was a trait that continued for the rest of the century, Balaclava and all that  :-\. However post the Second Boer War the British cavalry was probably the only one of major European powers mounted arms that embraced the modern age and acted more like mounted infantry having been taught a lesson in S Africa. The French dragoons and cuirassiers were still wearing uniforms Napoleon I would have recognised, the Germans all carried lances whether they were uhlans or not and the Austrian's were all kitted out for a re-run of the 7 Weeks War. The Russian's ? Given the spaces on the Eastern Front then the hoards of Cossacks were quite effective and continued to be whilst their regular cavalry never really got a chance. The last "great" cavalry armies were probably those of the Polish/Soviet 1920/21 war.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

In his Sharpe books Bernard Cromwell was not very flattering to the cavalry.

Buzzbomb has the right idea.  I'm leaning towards the worlds inhabited by Moorcock's iteration of Oswald Bastable in Warlord of the Air, The Land Leviathan, and The Steel Tsar.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on July 11, 2021, 04:09:06 AM
In his Sharpe books Bernard Cromwell was not very flattering to the cavalry.

Buzzbomb has the right idea.  I'm leaning towards the words inhabited by Moorcock's iteration of Oswald Bastable in Warlord of the Air, The Land Leviathan, and The Steel Tsar.

"Okay it's an air-pistol, but it's a very powerful one..."  ;D
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

I've started PSR on the horse.
There is a lack of "lumps and bumps" on the underside and a prominent seam running up to the base of the tail.  Not being cogniscent with that area of a horses anatomy I am unsure about what the finished thing should look like.
I'm also worried about what the results would be should I use a web search to research it...

Fred

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

scooter

Quote from: zenrat on July 15, 2021, 05:19:12 AM
I've started PSR on the horse.
There is a lack of "lumps and bumps" on the underside and a prominent seam running up to the base of the tail.  Not being cogniscent with that area of a horses anatomy I am unsure about what the finished thing should look like.
I'm also worried about what the results would be should I use a web search to research it...

Could also be a mare instead of a stallion or gelding.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

NARSES2

Could ask my niece if you want ? She's got her own stable business and rides a lot so loads of horses of all shapes and sizes to choose from  ;)