Oswald Bastable - Mounted Reconnaissance. Finished pics pg 7.

Started by zenrat, July 09, 2021, 04:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 16, 2021, 01:50:03 AM
Could ask my niece if you want ? She's got her own stable business and rides a lot so loads of horses of all shapes and sizes to choose from  ;)

It's been said before, but is worth repeating:-  "No matter how unlikely the question, someone here knows, and will happily share the answer!"

That's one of the reasons I appreciate this site.
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

zenrat

Thank you all for your responses and offers of help.  I have decided that in 54mm scale it is not necessary to go into exact anatomical detail.

Progress;

Phar Queue is all together, her joints have been filled, and since this she has had a smidge more filler added and has been primed.
10th Hussar 1815 WIP 24-07-2021 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Oswald's new heads been fitted to his torso.  This a new collar as the other one was moulded in one with his head and neck.  I'm thinking that in true steam punk style he needs a pair of goggles mounted on his hat.  Or round his neck (but never actually being worn).
10th Hussar 1815 WIP 24-07-2021 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 24, 2021, 04:20:38 AM

I'm thinking that in true steam punk style he needs a pair of goggles mounted on his hat.  Or round his neck (but never actually being worn).

Would give him that extra "something"  :thumbsup:

I forgot just how well Airfix moulded their horses all those years ago. A little to slim around their rear end according to my niece who has the stables, but otherwise quite nice. To get that "sheen" that horses always seem to have we used to use oils, but some of the more modern alternatives would probably do the same job nowadays.

Looking good mate
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

It looks good to me.  You'd never know I snapped a leg off trying to straighten a slight warp.
There is a comment in the instructions along the lines of "as we increase the range of mounted figures it will be possible to swap horses and riders allowing for different poses".
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 24, 2021, 07:01:10 AM
It looks good to me.  You'd never know I snapped a leg off trying to straighten a slight warp.
There is a comment in the instructions along the lines of "as we increase the range of mounted figures it will be possible to swap horses and riders allowing for different poses".

I'm surprised the "pistol" didn't have to come out  ;)

It was a shame that the range never really increased to any great degree because that would have been good. However you'd  have needed to be a little careful as Hussars wouldn't have ridden a Cuirassier's horse and vice versa. The mounted figures tended to be more animated than the foot figures. Airfix Magazine and Model Soldier used to do some terrific conversions with the basic figures.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

Phar Queue's saddle is together which has enabled me to start putting Oswald's body together.  He has needed some putty in his groin (don't we all) and will be getting his posture modified.
Fred

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on August 07, 2021, 06:50:08 AM
...and will be getting his posture modified.

I don't think wedge insoles in his shoes will help when he's on a horse, Fred...
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

jcf

In my experience the parts fit on the horses has always been meh,
and thats from building some of them back in the late '70s.

Don't forget to randomly slap on a bunch of gearwheels that do nothing
for the full Steampunk flavour.
;D

Just Glue Some Gears On It (And Call It Steampunk)
https://youtu.be/TFCuE5rHbPA

buzzbomb

good Work Fred.

I still have a very fond regard for the Airfix 54mm figures. I have a box full of old builds.

Does Oswald need his Fighting Trousers ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iRTB-FTMdk

zenrat

Fred

PR19_Kit

Erm, isn't that rifle he's carrying a little 'modern'?  :-\
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

NARSES2

Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 15, 2021, 05:23:59 AM

Nope, it's just that he likes wearing his dress tunic  ;)

Looking good sir  :thumbsup:

buzzbomb

scooter

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 15, 2021, 06:06:17 AM

Nope, it's just that he likes wearing his dress tunic  ;)

Looking good sir  :thumbsup:

Regimental ball was interrupted.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

zenrat

This is a Steampunk build remember.
And anyway, i'd hardly describe the AK47 as modern.

However, I may end up not using the Kalashnikov as it looks a little small.  This is due to the gun being 1/35 while the figure is "54mm".  A scale that allegedly equates to 1/32 but seems, like all scales quoted as a length, to be variable.  The head (1/35) doesn't look too bad but the hands are huge.  Problem is that 1/35 hands (I have a set of spare resin hands - who doesn't?) look far too small in comparison to the sleeves.
I may end up doing away with the whole upper body and using 1/35 parts instead.  It would be a shame though as I Ilike the frogging on the Hussar jacket.
Fred