Oswald Bastable - Mounted Reconnaissance. Finished pics pg 7.

Started by zenrat, July 09, 2021, 04:28:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NARSES2

54mm "toy" soldiers tended to be fairly consistent when it came to size, but 54mm "model" soldiers varied between manufacturers. Some measured ground to eye, others foot to eye and there were other yardsticks used. Then of course you also had 2 1/2" scale  :banghead:

Exactly the same problems with Wargaming scales, indeed probably worse.
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

crudebuteffective

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 16, 2021, 06:26:49 AM
54mm "toy" soldiers tended to be fairly consistent when it came to size, but 54mm "model" soldiers varied between manufacturers. Some measured ground to eye, others foot to eye and there were other yardsticks used. Then of course you also had 2 1/2" scale  :banghead:

airfix 54mm napoleonic models also have a scale problem between figures

the mounted figures are closer to 1/32 and the foot figures are close to 1/35
Remember, if the reality police ask you haven't seen us in ages!
When does "old enough to know better" kick in?

NARSES2

Quote from: crudebuteffective on August 16, 2021, 06:36:37 AM
Quote from: NARSES2 on August 16, 2021, 06:26:49 AM

airfix 54mm napoleonic models also have a scale problem between figures

the mounted figures are closer to 1/32 and the foot figures are close to 1/35

Yup, often wondered if it was down to the sculptor ? I assume there were a few different sculptors involved ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Nick

Quote from: zenrat on August 16, 2021, 04:05:56 AM
Quote from: PR19_Kit on August 15, 2021, 05:23:59 AM
Erm, isn't that rifle he's carrying a little 'modern'?  :-\

This is a Steampunk build remember.
And anyway, i'd hardly describe the AK47 as modern.

However, I may end up not using the Kalashnikov as it looks a little small.  This is due to the gun being 1/35 while the figure is "54mm".  A scale that allegedly equates to 1/32 but seems, like all scales quoted as a length, to be variable.  The head (1/35) doesn't look too bad but the hands are huge.  Problem is that 1/35 hands (I have a set of spare resin hands - who doesn't?) look far too small in comparison to the sleeves.
I may end up doing away with the whole upper body and using 1/35 parts instead.  It would be a shame though as I Ilike the frogging on the Hussar jacket.

Have you considered weapons from Warhammer 40k, Primaris or any of the dozens of copy firms? These are bulky, 54mm scale and look steampunky.
There's always these if you feel rich... https://www.shapeways.com/product/2E2LD2S2B/54mm-dark-future-weapons

zenrat

Thanks Nick.

I have taken the drastic route and decided to swap the entire upper body for 1/35 parts from a variety of WW2 sources.  Torso, from Tamiya, is in place.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

buzzbomb

Quote from: zenrat on August 17, 2021, 05:15:45 AM
I have taken the drastic route and decided to swap the entire upper body for 1/35 parts from a variety of WW2 sources.  Torso, from Tamiya, is in place.

That's a shame, I was really liking this look. Tweaking the Hussar Carbine  with a magazine and rudimentary lever action may have been a solution.
Still, whatever you do will come out just fine, pretty sure of that.

Your build here has caused me to recently fossick out my box of 54mm Napoleonics, so do not be surprised that you have sparked a bit of inspiration here. Thank you. :thumbsup:

On the 54mm variation topic, Historex appeared to be the class leader, their moulding was much finer, but at the same time I would think their target market could bear the higher price point.

zenrat

Well, I still have the relevant parts. They may make a reappearance at some time in the future.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

NARSES2

Quote from: buzzbomb on August 17, 2021, 04:13:18 PM

On the 54mm variation topic, Historex appeared to be the class leader, their moulding was much finer, but at the same time I would think their target market could bear the higher price point.

Oh that stirs some memories  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Oswald Bastable take two.  Torso by Tamiya, arms by Master Box.
10th Hussar 1815 WIP 21-08-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Mossie

I've got a number of 1/32 WW2 weapons from Airfix multipose sets for when you revisit the Hussar body?
I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughin'. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

zenrat

Quote from: Mossie on August 21, 2021, 04:43:15 AM
I've got a number of 1/32 WW2 weapons from Airfix multipose sets for when you revisit the Hussar body?

:thumbsup:
Fred

NARSES2

He looks in a very realistic pose, nice and animated  :thumbsup:

zenrat

Thanks Chris.  That was my aim.
Fred

zenrat

Fred

Old Wombat

Nice! :thumbsup:

Looks in keeping with the 19th Century "bigger is better" axiom re: rifle calibres/bores - just before smokeless powder & high-velocity projectiles came into fashion. ;D
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est