POLL - Where to place Mk.38 25mm guns?

Started by seadude, July 12, 2021, 02:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Where should I put 25mm guns?

Add 25mm guns on either side of turret #1 .
0 (0%)
Do not add 25mm guns on either side of turret #1.
0 (0%)
Add 25mm guns on either side of the bridge superstructure on the 2nd deck overhang.
4 (40%)
Do not add 25mm guns on either side of the bridge superstructure on the 2nd deck overhang.
0 (0%)
Add 25mm guns aft of turret #3 on port and starboard sides.
4 (40%)
Do not add 25mm guns aft of turret #3 on port and starboard sides.
1 (10%)
Add 25mm guns in the former 40mm gun tubs at the fantail of the ship.
5 (50%)
Do not add 25mm guns in the former 40mm gun tubs at the fantail of the ship.
0 (0%)
Other option. Please explain in a post.
2 (20%)
Do not add any 25mm guns at all.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

seadude

I'm trying to figure out where to add at least four Mk.38 25mm guns to my Iowa/Burke hybrid future battleship.
The four yellow dots are places for Mk.46 30mm guns which will be permanent.
But........I also want to add at least 4 backup Mk.38 25mm guns (Red dots), but I am not sure what locations might be best?
Take a look at the below picture and all the poll options and let me know what you think may or may not be good.

Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Weaver

Problem: your poll only allows one vote, but each option represents two of the four guns, so you need to let people vote at least twice.

I havn't voted yet because of this.

Given that the guns are remotely operated, I'd say two guns in the 40mm fantail tubs and two on the bridge wing platforms for maximum field of fire. The ones next to A turret look a bit too close to the 16" gun muzzles to escape damage.

As a matter of interest, what's the point of having 30mm and 25mm gun systems? Can't the 30mm do everything the 25mm can do?
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

seadude

Can a Mod or Admin please edit my poll for me to allow members to vote for more than one option. Thanks.

Quote from: Weaver on July 12, 2021, 03:14:01 PM
As a matter of interest, what's the point of having 30mm and 25mm gun systems? Can't the 30mm do everything the 25mm can do?
As I said in my original post, I wanted to have some backup guns. Plus, I love adding lots of armament to my models.  :wacko:  I want to create something that'll make the Chinese and Russians crap in their pants when they see this ship with all sorts of armament.  ;D  ;D  :wacko:  :wacko:
Modeling isn't just about how good the gluing or painting, etc. looks. It's also about how creative and imaginative you can be with a subject.
My modeling philosophy is: Don't build what everyone else has done. Build instead what nobody has seen or done before.

Weaver

Quote from: seadude on July 12, 2021, 03:35:49 PM
Can a Mod or Admin please edit my poll for me to allow members to vote for more than one option. Thanks.

Quote from: Weaver on July 12, 2021, 03:14:01 PM
As I said in my original post, I wanted to have some backup guns. Plus, I love adding lots of armament to my models.  :wacko:  I want to create something that'll make the Chinese and Russians crap in their pants when they see this ship with all sorts of armament.  ;D  ;D  :wacko:  :wacko:

Well okay, but I don't think the co-efficient-of-crapping-yourself is significantly different for 25mm and 30mm, whereas the PITLA (Pain In The Logistical Arse) of having two different calibres on the same ship is significant. Also, the 'solid' 30mm turret would probably survive 16" muzzle blast better than the 'bitty' 25mm mount in some of those positions that are close to the guns.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

Old Wombat

I put "Other"; My suggestion - put them on all the red-dot points.

This gives the best all-round coverage of fire & the ability to converge fire up close to almost everywhere (the bow isn't covered quite as well) & the main function of the 25mm's will be to keep small craft & light aircraft/drones away from the ship.

Several country's (Iran in particular) have stated policies of using swarms of small boats & aircraft to overwhelm the automated defences of larger warships & inflict damage on them using suicide attacks, the Mk.38's are the counter to this.

If you could put another pair up nearer the bow, you'd have an exceptionally good defence net around the ship for these types of attack.
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

perttime

Put them as far as possible from the 30mm guns. Agreed that just using more of the 30mm guns would be better.

tigercat

I say you need some at the stern or by turret 3 or the back end of the ship is going to be fairly unprotected

But you also need the ones by the bridge

As your 30mm will have their arcs of fire obstructed by the superstructure as an enemy gets nearer.

Once through the initial curtain of 30mm  theirs a clear run into the centre of the ship  which the bridge 25mm should close

Are you putting flak on top of the turrets ? 

seadude

Quote from: Old Wombat on July 12, 2021, 07:55:21 PM
I put "Other"; My suggestion - put them on all the red-dot points.

This gives the best all-round coverage of fire & the ability to converge fire up close to almost everywhere (the bow isn't covered quite as well) & the main function of the 25mm's will be to keep small craft & light aircraft/drones away from the ship.

Several country's (Iran in particular) have stated policies of using swarms of small boats & aircraft to overwhelm the automated defences of larger warships & inflict damage on them using suicide attacks, the Mk.38's are the counter to this.

If you could put another pair up nearer the bow, you'd have an exceptionally good defence net around the ship for these types of attack.
Actually, I'm quite fine with just 4 30mm guns and 4 25mm guns. Anything more than that is overkill and just doesn't look good on the model.
As far as putting any on the bow in front of perhaps the #1 turret, do you realize how wet that area gets?  :o Any small guns in that area would get significantly damaged by the large waves of water. However........I could theoretically put 1 or 2 large 1/700 scale 155mm enclosed gun mounts from a Zumwalt model kit in that area and say they are 25 or 30mm guns? At least they'd be enclosed from the waves.

Quote from: perttime on July 12, 2021, 09:05:39 PM
Put them as far as possible from the 30mm guns. Agreed that just using more of the 30mm guns would be better.
If I could add more 30mm, I would. But I'm not sure I have enough spare parts to scratch build more.

Quote from: tigercat on July 13, 2021, 12:06:41 AM
Are you putting flak on top of the turrets ? 
Nope.

NARSES2

Quote from: seadude on July 12, 2021, 03:35:49 PM

Done - I've allowed 2 for now
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

seadude

Ok folks, tell me what you think of this option?

Joe C-P

More guns is always better on a battleship. 

Manually operated mounts that can be pointed over the edge and thus down along the sides of the ship will help when in tight quarters like a canal or a harbor, watching for small boats.
In want of hobby space!  The kitchen table is never stable.  Still managing to get some building done.

seadude

Quote from: JoeP on July 27, 2021, 01:43:55 PM
Manually operated mounts that can be pointed over the edge and thus down along the sides of the ship will help when in tight quarters like a canal or a harbor, watching for small boats.

That's what smaller .50 cal guns are for. I'll have at least 8-10 on the model spaced evenly along the port and starboard sides.