Vulcan, God of War!

Started by Gondor, July 13, 2021, 01:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gondor

Not exactly perfect but I think it will do for me. The parts do after all make up the inside of the undercarriage bays so unless someone picks up the beast to have a look any problems will not be seen.

Of course when the model is finished, if anyone tries to pick it up and I don't ok them doing that........

Gondor

P.S. How hard is it to get blood off a model?
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

scooter

Quote from: Gondor on August 09, 2021, 12:15:54 PM

Tried bubbling it of with peroxide?
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on August 09, 2021, 12:10:13 PM
The easy way to find out how someone does something like that is to start a Quote so you can see what they wrote, including codes and such, then write it down in a notebook or whatever you preffer so you can use the same thing yourself later. Of course you don't need to follow through with the quote, just use it to find out how people do things.

Gondor

I'll keep that in mind   :thumbsup: cheers!
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Quote from: scooter on August 09, 2021, 12:52:44 PM
Quote from: Gondor on August 09, 2021, 12:15:54 PM

Tried bubbling it of with peroxide?

I was being sarcastic though the info might be usfull.

Perhaps a little information leaflet on doing things like that would be a good idea for putting on the table as shows?  ;D

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

So I added the intakes to the lower fuselage, just as recommended in the old kit. I little cleaning up of the parts was necessary and in general they went in with no problems.

So the next thing to do was to dry fit the new Vulcan bomb bay

Not good  :banghead:

The intakes impede the fit. Looks like a bit of cutting and grinding is in mine and the old Vulcan's future, good job I decided to fit the intake blanks from the new kit into the old kit  ;D

This is defiantly a problem that I shall have to keep in mind for future builds.

Gondor

The Wooksta!

I'm looking at moulding and casting the intake FOD guards. Don't understand why they didn't do them for the tailpipes.
"It's basically a cure -  for not being an axe-wielding homicidal maniac. The potential market's enormous!"

"Visit Scarfolk today!"
https://scarfolk.blogspot.com/

"Dance, dance, dance, dance, dance to the radio!"

The Plan:
www.whatifmodelers.com/index.php/topic

Gondor

Quote from: The Wooksta! on August 10, 2021, 01:34:51 PM
I'm looking at moulding and casting the intake FOD guards. Don't understand why they didn't do them for the tailpipes.

That would have been the obvious thing to do. Going to go that rout for this old kit build seeing that I have the intake blanking plates in place.

Gondor

Gondor

I was asked elsewhere about why the bomb bay wouldn't fit between the intake assemblies. This was my reply.

The intake assemblies are possibly a little out of alignment. Remember that I am fitting a new kit bomb bay into an old kit which was not designed to have a bomb bay, and yes there is one available, in etch brass which I don't want to go anywhere near!

An analogy between the two kits could be along the lines of comparing a T-45 tank against a Panther tank. The older Airfix kit being analogous to the T-34, rough and rather agricultural, with the New Airfix similar to the Panther, well-engineered with lots of features and very easy for things to go wrong because of the tolerances.
Here is the width between the intake assemblies

And here is the width of the bomb bay as provided in the new kit

That's a difference of 2.1mm. Take into account that the walls of the old intakes are 0.4mm thicker than the new ones and that brings the difference down to 1.3mm and I only did one quick measurement rather than take the average of at least three. That's not a lot and considering that I made the mistake of gluing the intakes into place first and they were not a tight fit so they might have fitted around the bomb bay better than trying to fit the bomb bay between the intakes. Add in larger tolerances as no bomb bay was required, and that could account for the differences. With this build it's not a problem as I pinched the intake covers for the old kit which means that I can cut away as much of the intakes behind the covers as I want. Then next one I do this with will get the bomb bay fitted first, then the intakes!
It all boils down to my not thinking this through far enough, impatience at wanting to get some progress to show and the tolerances between the two kits.

Gondor

kitnut617

Could you not razor saw the sides of the old intakes, you'd only need to take a saw blade+ width off each one --- I realize the intakes are glued in, but I would think that would make it easier to hold on to ---

I was looking at the intake assembly I did on my Avro Atlantic --- which is a bit different but still doable

If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 15, 2021, 05:40:16 AM

Could you not razor saw the sides of the old intakes, you'd only need to take a saw blade+ width off each one --- I realize the intakes are glued in, but I would think that would make it easier to hold on to ---

I'm simply going to cut/grind away plastic until it fits with this one, the next one to have the bomb bay transplanted I will be taking a bit more care with and fit the bomb bay first, then the intakes which will be finessed to fit.

Gondor

McColm

How are you going to strengthen the wing joints?

Captain Canada

It's all that work that makes it fun ! I think......... :wacko:
CANADA KICKS arse !!!!

Long Live the Commonwealth !!!
Vive les Canadiens !
Where's my beer ?

Gondor

Received some intakes today from Aerocraft Models. They are designed for the New Airfix Vulcan but I think I shall see if I can get them to fit inside this older one as well.

Gondor

Pellson

Nice! We want progress on this one.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Gondor

The intakes are 3D printed and in one peice so no seams needing to be sorted other than around the lip at the front, nice three part engine fronts as well, just have to blend in the exhausts fron the New Vulcan to improve the detail at that end.

Gondor