Vulcan, God of War!

Started by Gondor, July 13, 2021, 01:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PR19_Kit

Measure the wing area.............  ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

kitnut617

Yeah! and I've got five of them including an MPC boxing (one built, one mostly used on my Avro Atlantic project, one for the B.1 conversion and two for whiffing) and intend on buying one of these new tool ones too.

I'm watching Alastair' old tool upgrade with lots of interest, I wouldn't mind doing the same to the B.1 when I get around to it.
If I'm not building models, I'm out riding my dirtbike

Gondor

So I got a little bit done yesterday and should finish clamping and gluing the frame in place tonight.

I think I need clamps with a longer reach  :o

I will take more detailed pictures of my replacement bomb bay walls, which are as well enginered as a Mach 2 kit  :rolleyes:, seriously, they are not going to be seen so they only had to fit and provide support. There are gaps in places almost big enough to drive a bus through  :lol:

Gondor
My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Gondor

As promised, the front part of the frame has been glued in place. I defiantly need more and better clamps for when I build the next one....

The "locally manufactured" replacement bomb bay sides  :rolleyes:

Not exactly a tight fit, but then it didn't have to be that. I will probably add "L" shaped plastic rod in several places along the sides to help give rigidity.

Next up is the undercarriage bays and the intakes which need to be finished before the wings can go any further forward.

Gondor

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

Gondor

The undercarriage bays have been painted and so have the main engine intakes, not looked at them yet to see how they have turned out as I used a rattle can and such things can be a bit iffy with the results at times. The cockpit was painted as per the instructions yesterday evening as well although I intend to use other shades of black to detail and differentiate between items a bit.

Another thing I have been pottering away at is the forward end of the bomb bay

I don't need to say which is which as mine is far messier than the kit part but it will do for what I want especially as the bomb bay will be fully loaded with bombs.

Gondor

smeds

Guys, the weapons "clip" is correctly called a "7 store carrier". Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm an ex RAF Armourer  ;D ;D

Gondor

Quote from: smeds on August 08, 2021, 12:09:13 PM
Guys, the weapons "clip" is correctly called a "7 store carrier". Sorry to be pedantic, but I'm an ex RAF Armourer  ;D ;D

That's quite OK. I prefer to call things what they actually are. You don't happen to know much about the Victor's bomb bay do you, or the "stores Carriers" it had?

Gondor

kitnut617

I've got a Two-Volume book set by Roger R. Brookes called The Handley Page Victor, The History and Development of a Classic Bomber, Vol.1 is about the Prototypes and B.1, Vol.2 is about the B.2 and later variants. It's interesting to note the B.1 and B.2 had different storage arrangements for the bomb racks, both could carry thirty five 1000lbers in the bomb bay.

The diagram for the B.1 in Vol.1 shows that two racks were mounted in the roof of the bay, with spaces between them. Then three racks were mounted below the top two, with the noses and tails of the bombs overlapping.
Top racks have three bombs on top and four bombs below those, the lower line of racks have four bombs above and three below. And the bombs look just like the bombs in the Airfix Valiant.

Now the diagram for the B.2 shows something different, three racks were mounted in the roof of the bay with spaces between them, then two racks were mounted below with the noses and tails overlapping.
All the racks have four bombs on top and three bombs below those, like the Airfix Vulcan. Photos of the full bomb bay in the book seem to show the same rack as those carried in the Vulcan.

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 08, 2021, 03:07:48 PM
I've got a Two-Volume book set by Roger R. Brookes called The Handley Page Victor, The History and Development of a Classic Bomber, Vol.1 is about the Prototypes and B.1, Vol.2 is about the B.2 and later variants. It's interesting to note the B.1 and B.2 had different storage arrangements for the bomb racks, both could carry thirty five 1000lbers in the bomb bay.

The diagram for the B.1 in Vol.1 shows that two racks were mounted in the roof of the bay, with spaces between them. Then three racks were mounted below the top two, with the noses and tails of the bombs overlapping.
Top racks have three bombs on top and four bombs below those, the lower line of racks have four bombs above and three below. And the bombs look just like the bombs in the Airfix Valiant.

Now the diagram for the B.2 shows something different, three racks were mounted in the roof of the bay with spaces between them, then two racks were mounted below with the noses and tails overlapping.
All the racks have four bombs on top and three bombs below those, like the Airfix Vulcan. Photos of the full bomb bay in the book seem to show the same rack as those carried in the Vulcan.

I saw a picture in a book about the Vulcan calling the rack as the "V" bomber rack which would explaine that. The Aerofax book on the Victor has the drawing for what your describing as the B.1 layout so it will be interesting to see what the B.2 layout looked like. Airfix give a flat roof to the bomb bay which is fine for the S.R.2 version and of course they don't supply bombs so I am unsure about the bay roof being flat, it looked steped in the pick of the B.1 load.

Gondor

kitnut617

The diagrams of both arrangements show a flat roof to the bomb bay Alastair --- what interested me was the B.1 had Valiant type 1000lbers, looks like I'm going to need a bunch more of them than what I was first after. But even though the roof is flat, it's still deeper than a Vulcan bomb bay, allowing the staggered arrangement of the racks.

What I'm going to do is try to make a 10-Bomb rack for the Vulcan. I've seen two videos of it so far both showing it being loaded into the bomb bay. The rack has three rows of bombs, three at the top, then four in the middle and then three on the bottom. The bottom three seem to be suspended but wires as they moved around as the loading was being done.

Gondor

Quote from: kitnut617 on August 09, 2021, 05:56:26 AM
The diagrams of both arrangements show a flat roof to the bomb bay Alastair --- what interested me was the B.1 had Valiant type 1000lbers, looks like I'm going to need a bunch more of them than what I was first after. But even though the roof is flat, it's still deeper than a Vulcan bomb bay, allowing the staggered arrangement of the racks.

What I'm going to do is try to make a 10-Bomb rack for the Vulcan. I've seen two videos of it so far both showing it being loaded into the bomb bay. The rack has three rows of bombs, three at the top, then four in the middle and then three on the bottom. The bottom three seem to be suspended but wires as they moved around as the loading was being done.

That sounds very interesting, do you have a link for the video?

Gondor

kitnut617

Quote from: Gondor on August 09, 2021, 06:21:40 AM
Quote from: kitnut617 on August 09, 2021, 05:56:26 AM

That sounds very interesting, do you have a link for the video?

Gondor

I didn't have a link but in reply #6 (or it could be #5) in this thread I said it was on YT and gave the title of the video. But you have to watch it right to the end because that's where they show the 10-Bomb rack.

EDIT: called Vulcan Bomb Loading Procedure, you see it almost at the end around  the 1.14 point.
EDIT 2: I can't get the link to move to here for some reason ---

Gondor

kitnut617

Gondor

The easy way to find out how someone does something like that is to start a Quote so you can see what they wrote, including codes and such, then write it down in a notebook or whatever you preffer so you can use the same thing yourself later. Of course you don't need to follow through with the quote, just use it to find out how people do things.

Gondor