S-3 viking

Started by The Rat, July 14, 2021, 08:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rat

Always thought that this aircraft would look good, and perhaps become more versatile, with a fuselage extension, front and back. Thoughts? And if anyone wants to run with it and do such a model, be my guest.

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

Life is too short to worry about perfection

Youtube: https://tinyurl.com/46dpfdpr

NARSES2

Must admit it's always looked a little on the short side to me, as though someone in the Drawing Office (remember those) had folded the plans and nobody had noticed until it was far to late and anyway they were far to embarrassed to admit it  :angel:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

McColm

I tend to lean towards the Boeing V-22 Osprey as they seem to look very similar from the front,  a possible kitbash in the making.

zenrat

You can also move the engines out to the position of the outer hsrdpoints.  Easy to do and IMHO likely to escape notice as it looks so normal.

ziking Ragnar  - 8 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

PR19_Kit

Absolutely! The Viking's always looked to me as if it had been put in a crusher BEFORE it left the factory!  :o

No doubt it had something to do with the size of the lifts on the carriers of the time though.

Longer wings wouldn't go amiss either.............. ;)
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Zero-Sen

Quote from: The Rat on July 14, 2021, 08:54:25 PM
Always thought that this aircraft would look good, and perhaps become more versatile, with a fuselage extension, front and back. Thoughts?...
If I remember correctly Steven Lewis aka FAR148 worked on that idea...
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=24579.msg359121#msg359121

zenrat

Quote from: Zero-Sen on July 15, 2021, 05:06:25 AM
Quote from: The Rat on July 14, 2021, 08:54:25 PM
Always thought that this aircraft would look good, and perhaps become more versatile, with a fuselage extension, front and back. Thoughts?...
If I remember correctly Steven Lewis aka FAR148 worked on that idea...
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=24579.msg359121#msg359121

Just looked at that.  It's before my time but it was, IMO looking really promising until he decided to build it with folded wings.  I don't think you can really appreciate an aircraft when its all folded up like that.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Old Wombat

Shelf space issues, probably. ;)
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

The Rat

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives." Hedley Lamarr, Blazing Saddles

jcf

Unconstrained span proposal:

From here:
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19810020580/downloads/19810020580.pdf

Jens Baganz (Jemiba on Secret Projects) provisional drawing of the proposed KC-3 COD version,
based on limited published material.

PR19_Kit

I wonder how many wing folds an 'unconstrained span' Viking would need? Like a Gannet to the max!  ;D ;)

And that KC-3 would have made some sense, more so than the US-3 I reckon.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

sandiego89

Agree with Kit and Wombat that carrier elevator, hangar deck and deck space were likely all factors in the pudgy result.  Spotting factor is a real issue, especially for carrier operations, as is weight.  Not the only aircraft that had size constraints put on it: Buccaneer was short and fat with the folding radome and speed brake, A-4 to fit the lift without wing fold, Sea Harrier nose radome, F-35B to fit the elevators, E-2 to fit and not cross the foul line, Sterling to fit the hangars (true?).....

The Viking in my opinion was retired too early from US Navy service.  Still lots of fatigue life left and they were a much better tanker than the Super Hornet, and their patrol capabilities were still useful, even if ASW had been shifted to other assets.       
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

The Rat

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 16, 2021, 02:44:22 PM
Agree with Kit and Wombat that carrier elevator, hangar deck and deck space were likely all factors in the pudgy result.

:thumbsup:

Which is why I made the comment about versatility. It could have been put to other uses by other services that didn't need to follow dimensional restrictions, and civilian operators. If it's built tough enough to pound itself onto a carrier deck, repeatedly for years, it could last a lot longer in other roles.

Jesse220

How about a Stealth Variant?

sandiego89

Quote from: Jesse220 on July 17, 2021, 01:56:32 PM
How about a Stealth Variant?

That would take a lot.  With that big slab sided fuselage and tail, podded engines, and exposed compressor sections of the engines happily spinning away, the Viking was decided non-stealthy.   
Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA