TR-29 Wraith (X-29 Recce Thing)

Started by TheChronicOne, July 16, 2021, 04:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rheged

There is a joke about  THE PEDANTS' REVOLT   but I won't say any more, or Chris will exile me to the naughty step (again)

For those interested in that sort of thing  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peasants%27_Revolt  1381
"If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you....."
It  means that you read  the instruction sheet

TheChronicOne

Ooooh.... if we get enough of us on there, the naughty step sounds pretty fun.  :wacko: 
-Sprues McDuck-

PR19_Kit

I thought we were ALL on it anyway, by definition.  ;) ;D

Certainly in the opinion of your 'normal' IPMS member anyway.
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

TheChronicOne

Ahhh, true! lol    So used to it by now that sometimes I forget that we're akin the black sheep.

Going to try to get started on this one today. I would like to get a dial caliper first (for the nose) because I can't find mine but I do believe, short of the transfers, I have all I need. Perhaps someone could help with which units the A-10s were assigned in Europe in the 80's. I knew all this at one time.... but have since forgotten basically all of it.
-Sprues McDuck-

scooter

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 26, 2021, 11:44:30 AM
Ahhh, true! lol    So used to it by now that sometimes I forget that we're akin the black sheep.

Going to try to get started on this one today. I would like to get a dial caliper first (for the nose) because I can't find mine but I do believe, short of the transfers, I have all I need. Perhaps someone could help with which units the A-10s were assigned in Europe in the 80's. I knew all this at one time.... but have since forgotten basically all of it.

WIKI
What I've been able to piece out of the article:

78th and 91st TFS - RAF Woodbridge
92d TFS - RAF Bentwater
509th, 511th TFS - RAF Alconbury
510th TFS Aviano AB
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Nick

Quote from: scooter on July 26, 2021, 12:52:08 PM
Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 26, 2021, 11:44:30 AM

WIKI
What I've been able to piece out of the article:

78th and 91st TFS - RAF Woodbridge
92d TFS - RAF Bentwater
509th, 511th TFS - RAF Alconbury
510th TFS Aviano AB

As an aside - 527th Squadron flew F-5s from Alconbury 1976-1988. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/527th_Space_Aggressor_Squadron
Very similar aircraft etc....  ;)

TheChronicOne

Fantastic, thanks! Alconbury...... looks good because the already existing support system for the F-5s would be handy for supporting the 29s and uhhh... the uhhh... A-10s and stuff.... (coffee is only just coming on line  lol)   NOW, can I find decals with that stuff?   Looking forward to getting back home from work so I can get all this sorted out. I didn't quite get started last night thanks to exhaustion but I'm trying again this evening....
-Sprues McDuck-

scooter

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 27, 2021, 11:35:08 AM
Fantastic, thanks! Alconbury...... looks good because the already existing support system for the F-5s would be handy for supporting the 29s and uhhh... the uhhh... A-10s and stuff.... (coffee is only just coming on line  lol)   NOW, can I find decals with that stuff?   Looking forward to getting back home from work so I can get all this sorted out. I didn't quite get started last night thanks to exhaustion but I'm trying again this evening....

Caracal CD72112, carried by Sprue Brothers Models.
The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

TheChronicOne

Yay!! Thanks!     

Still haven't started on this. Temps are right at 100 which might not be so bad but the humidity is way high right now. No clouds, no wind......  I'm working in this stuff and everyday get home feeling physically ill. I hate summer.

EDIT: Transfers are on the way. I now have 100% of what I need for this project (that I'm aware of). Now, can I just find some free time that also aligns with not being utterly exhausted or depressed or some other stupid poo-poo?
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Amazingly... I was able to get started last night. Got the parts I needed out of the Tiger Eye kit and started cleaning them up and mocked up the fuselage and stuff. Damn clear pieces in the nose go in from the inside so I'll have to put those in, glue it together, then mask those off... well, at leas the two on the bottom.. probably can paint over the one in the tip of the nose and paint it black. I also stopped to drag up some reference material. I cam across an EXTREMELY THOROUGH write up on the F-5..... here... Thai military web site... (not saying it's their military's page, just that it's a page about Thai military stuff.... hell, it could be both... I just don't need some Semantics warrior throwing a fit). I implore you to look at this..... it's a huge dump of good information and really great photos!!!!!

https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.wordpress.com/2016/06/05/f-5e-tiger-ii-f-5t-tigris-of-the-royal-thai-air-force/

Looking through here reminded me just how much I really love the little F-5s and derivatives. It also created motivation within me... it's hard to look at something like that, if you're an aviation fan, and NOT become inspired. It's not just Thai stuff, either... they have pictures of planes from all across the globe and they even go into detail about weapons, etc. I'm really impressed with it, obviously. You could spend hours just looking through that article... there's even videos, diagrams, and other technical stuff.

Anyway... I'm also dragging together photos so I can get this nose piece right. Found a good one with gear down and another one with gear up in flight. There are also other good ones in that article I posted.

Today, if I can, I'll get the X-29 kit opened up and start working on things like the gear and getting the fuselage mocked up so I can plan out where to start cutting things up. I hope......  that the sizes between these kits are close enough that I don't have to go to lengths to fix things. Worst case scenario would be the Tiger Eye nose being of a larger diameter than the front end of the X-29. Either way... I'll just fix whatever happens but it would be nice if things lined up really nice like they did when I smashed the t-38 and F-16 kits together.  :wacko:
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

You got this, Brad!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The F-5 family and derivatives are beautiful designs indeed, i'm also a big fan. In my stash, the number of F-5 kits is second only to the number of F-16 kits, in both 1/48 and 1/72 scale. And that's why i ended up choosing the RF-5 for this GB too. :mellow:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

TheChronicOne

I love them little planes, man. Sometimes I sort of forget but..... with the Viper and Tomcat.... it's definitely one of my top 5. Dig you check out that article?!? Holy crap, Wikipedia can't even touch that thing.... 
-Sprues McDuck-

TheChronicOne

Just a quick update to drop off some notes.

I think the 511th will be my unit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/511th_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron#A-10_%22Warthog%22_operations

I think it checks all the boxes....  right time period, unit, airbase, etc. to fit my backstory.  :unsure: 

The transfers showed up yesterday. I've also, over the days since the last post, done other things to get things moving. One thing I did was clean up and put away all the leftover stuff from previous builds that had been sitting around.... you know.... take the boxes and cut out the tops, put the left over decals and parts in their stashes, get all the errant tools and supplies from that stuff put back where it goes, and generally cleaning up and organizing the work space. I'm eager to get back to work on this. I should be able to get a little done tonight.... got all me chores and stuff out of the way and now I can focus on hobbies for a bit. Problem is it's already 10:30 at night and I have to go back into the 100 degree heat tomorrow to mow lawns.... and the next day... and next...    time and energy are fleeting! But...... I still remain optimistic that I can meet the deadline and with things cleaned up the work flow should be better and I'll be able to hit my stride and have some fun.

"Vultures."   Yeah!!!!!   :wub:
-Sprues McDuck-

DogfighterZen

Quote from: TheChronicOne on July 31, 2021, 11:39:47 AM
I love them little planes, man. Sometimes I sort of forget but..... with the Viper and Tomcat.... it's definitely one of my top 5. Dig you check out that article?!? Holy crap, Wikipedia can't even touch that thing.... 

Nope. Haven't seen it yet but going by your words, it should be pretty interesting so, i will do so right now. :thumbsup:
Vipers and Tomcats... :wub: I find it very hard to choose a top 5 ranking but the Viper is my favorite without a doubt. :mellow:   
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Top Five?

In no particular order;
MiG 21
Su-25
Skyraider
Concorde
Huey

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..