TR-29 Wraith (X-29 Recce Thing)

Started by TheChronicOne, July 16, 2021, 04:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheChronicOne

Top 5...  I should have specified "jet fighters" because it becomes a different list for me when I consider other types of aircraft.... hmmmm.... I should have considered that.... hmmmm.... top five of all time definitely has C-5A in it... and uhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ I dunno?  Top 5 jet fighters, though..... well, in no particular order...... F-14,F-15,F-16, F-5, F-4?   That's probably about right.  ;D    Lists like this seem like such a trivial, simple thing to talk about but it's always pretty fun thinking about it.

In other news.. I'm definitely underway with this 29 thing. I've been clipping out and cleaning up parts and have even glued a few things. I'm leading up to getting the gear, gear doors, cockpit interior, and canopy all done and set aside. Once that's out of the way the fun begins with cutting and hacking the kits. Man... I was looking at the 29 kit and there's a lot of potential for all kinds of what if jets. I put the wings on it facing the "right way" around and toward the back a little and it made the thing look like some weird cross between an F-101 Voodoo and some sort of delta wing canard thing... I'll try to snap a picture of that but I'm considering order another of these damn things just so I can flip the wings backward on it.  ;D
-Sprues McDuck-

nighthunter

Top 5 Jet Fighters:

F-86 (All variants)
F-101
MiG-21
Hawker Hunter
Su-27 family

"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

zenrat

My top 5 US Jet fighters (in reverse alphabetical order);

Sabre Dog
Phantom II
Hun
Crusader
Banshee
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

DogfighterZen

Well, i guess my top 5 jets would be something like:
F-16 single seat variants
F-14D
YF23
Su-27/35
F-18E

Maybe not necessarily in this order although the Viper is always above anything else so that goes for the rest of the list. :mellow:

Just noticed the fact that all fighters on my list are twin tail designs with the Viper being the only single tail design in there. I wonder if that's why I've always wanted to build F-16s with twin tails...  :unsure:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on August 11, 2021, 03:32:13 AM

Sabre Dog
Phantom II
Hun
Crusader
Banshee

Why ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

nighthunter

Quote from: NARSES2 on August 11, 2021, 06:17:54 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 11, 2021, 03:32:13 AM

Sabre Dog
Phantom II
Hun
Crusader
Banshee

Why ?
Why not?
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

scooter

The F-106- 26 December 1956 to 8 August 1988
Gone But Not Forgotten

QuoteOh are you from Wales ?? Do you know a fella named Jonah ?? He used to live in whales for a while.
— Groucho Marx

My dA page: Scooternjng

Old Wombat

Just to push this thread drift a bit further along & in no particular order (as it can change from time-to-time):

LTV A-7E Corsair
HS (BAe) Buccaneer
McD-D F-4E Phantom II
Dassault Rafale M
HS (BAe) Harrier

There's a reason I'm trying to shoe-horn them all into my alternate RAN/RAM. ;) :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

TheChronicOne

;D   

I love it.   

OK..... I got nothing done last night. I am considering something here, though.... The ECM pod won't go centerline in the middle because of the landing gear so I'm wondering if there's any reason other than altering COM that I couldn't still put it centerline, but further back???  Like... where a tailhook would be...  I wan't to try to keep it away from the heat of the engine exhaust of course but is there some glaring reason why one wouldn't put it back there? I might not even use one, though... I think I have one somewhere in a Hasegawa weapons kit... if not there, it could be in one of me stash kits... but... well.... anyway... if I don't find it, I probably won't have one on here but I'm curious just the same about placement.
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

Only think I would imagine keeping enough clearance during rotation on takeoff or landing. Scraping the pod on the runway would be a bad thing.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

TheChronicOne

Yikes!!! True!  Hmmm...     that idea is out the window. Thank you. I think I'll focus on just finding the thing (if I do indeed have one).
-Sprues McDuck-

kerick

How big is the pod? Maybe you could attach it beneath one of the intakes? If the X-29 is being converted to an R-29 adding a hard point under the inlet shouldn't be too much of a stretch.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Pellson

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 11, 2021, 07:48:15 AM
Just to push this thread drift a bit further along & in no particular order (as it can change from time-to-time):

LTV A-7E Corsair
HS (BAe) Buccaneer
McD-D F-4E Phantom II
Dassault Rafale M
HS (BAe) Harrier

There's a reason I'm trying to shoe-horn them all into my alternate RAN/RAM. ;) :thumbsup:

Thread drifts are natural effects of the creativeness abundant in this forum and should accordingly be encouraged.  ;)

My top five jet combat aircraft, in no particular order:

- EE Lightning
- SAAB 37 Viggen
- Hawker Hunter
- Republic Thunderchief
- Avro Vulcan

But the Canberra, the Mirage 2000 and the SAAB 35 Draken are, among others, up there too, so limiting to five is hard..

Re the pod question:
Looking at it, it seems as if the X-29 main gear is very similar to that employed by the F-16, and, as far as covers go, close enough to the Mirage deltas. All of these have very useful centreline pylons which is why I'm a bit confused by your problem. If the pylon just is deep enough to put the pylon low enough over the ground, then there should be clearance enough between the gear doors, right?

Another solution, provided the pod isn't too long, is the F-100 or Dassault-Breguet Etendard solution, where the centreline store sits ahead of the main gear well, but looking at the X-29 gear wells, that seems less likely.

Anyhow - looking forward to see where you're going with this.  :thumbsup:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!