Gloster Javelin PR (Finished on page 4)

Started by mat, July 17, 2021, 07:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat

Gloster Javelin PR.11

In 1952 Gloster made a design study for a Photo-Reconnnaissance version of the Javelin. P.347 were basically a Javelin with extended wings and a longer nose to house the cameras.

Even if RAF in 1953 did put forward a Operational Requirement - PR.118D and P - for a PR version of the Javelin, in the end the force chose to keep the Canberra for the job.

But what-if RAF have ordered the PR-Javelin.

It would probally have been in service as long as the Canberra.

My Group Build will be based on a kit, I once picked up in, what was then know as, The Evil Empire. I can't remember if is was in Murmansk, Kiev or Odessa. According to the box it contains an airplane. Looking closer you will see, that the airplane is a Gloster Javelin produced on the former Frog Mould which went East in the late 70's.

PR19_Kit

I'll look forward to seeing this build.  :thumbsup:

I've thought of doing a P.347 myself, but as usual never got started on it. :banghead:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

mat

PR19_Kit

Oh yes, FROGspawn at its very best (or worst sometimes...)  ;D
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage

Regards
Kit

mat

The build have started. Trying to improve cockpit and remove the see-through option

sandiego89

Be careful with the sanding stick!.  I think they used chalk or soap in some of those injection molds- a few swipes and you are halfway through the fuselage!

Bravo for using a Warsaw Pact mold, I am also looking forward to this one.   :thumbsup:

Dave "Sandiego89"
Chesapeake, Virginia, USA

kerick

I wonder if it's related to the one I built a REALLY long time ago. It was molded in green which I thought at the time was perfectly fine.
Should be lots of room in the nose for cameras if that radar is removed. I'll be watching this one!
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

mat

There will be plenty of room for cameraes in the nose. I'll build it according to the drawing in "Gloster Javelin" by Richard A Franks

mat

Quote from: sandiego89 on July 18, 2021, 12:55:43 PM
Be careful with the sanding stick!.  I think they used chalk or soap in some of those injection molds- a few swipes and you are halfway through the fuselage!

Bravo for using a Warsaw Pact mold, I am also looking forward to this one.   :thumbsup:
This kit is moulded in a hard and rather brittle version of Comecon-Plastyk

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

NARSES2

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

PR19_Kit

Quote from: NARSES2 on July 19, 2021, 06:23:29 AM

As am I. It could be a child's shoe box from the 60's

It probably WAS one before they over-printed it!  :o

Regards
Kit

TallEng

A long, long time ago I made a PR Javelin.

https://flic.kr/p/2mccfvV

I'm not sure but I think it involved the Airfix/Heller boxing an italeri F-84 Thunderflash, and the
Wings of a no name Grumman Intruder.
Looking forward to seeing your take on it
(Actual build log thingy from way back in time here) https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=27314.msg418653#msg418653

Regards
Keith
The British have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the Blitz in 1940 when tea supplies ran out for three weeks

mat

And now for the wings.
The wheelwells have been improved from just being some empty spaces. And the wingtips hacked off.

mat

The remaining wing and the new wingtips are compared with the drawing. The basic of the new outer wing is a F-86A wing. As I remember from a very old Hasegawa kit