DONE +++ RF-101J Voodoo (s/n 61-0805 "Rhino Express"); Texas ANG 1986

Started by Dizzyfugu, July 20, 2021, 12:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellson

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

PR19_Kit

Not the prettiest aeroplane built, but excellent modelling.  :thumbsup:
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

nighthunter

This is inspiring me to make my 1/144 Voodoos with the B's tailpipes and "advanced" radar for an E variant.
"Mind that bus." "What bus?" *SPLAT!*

Dizzyfugu

Again, thanks a lot. ;D

It's huge beast, but the modern paint scheme suits the Voodoo very well.  <_<

zenrat

Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Glenn Gilbertson

Doug K

Pellson

Thomas, old chap - may I ask you how you decided on the location of the underwing pylons? I have other Voodoo plans, and they may, or may not, include some lighter underwing load.

Dizzyfugu

Plausibility! I found mention in a Voodoo book that some F-101s were retrofitted with underwing pylons, but I could not find any visual evidence for this and what they were supposed to carry in real life - they were intended just for light loads, and I thought in this case that ECM pods and chaff/flare dispensers would be suitable ordnance. A position just outside of the landing gear wells appeared most probable for me.  ;)

Pellson

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on January 19, 2023, 11:53:23 PMPlausibility! I found mention in a Voodoo book that some F-101s were retrofitted with underwing pylons, but I could not find any visual evidence for this and what they were supposed to carry in real life - they were intended just for light loads, and I thought in this case that ECM pods and chaff/flare dispensers would be suitable ordnance. A position just outside of the landing gear wells appeared most probable for me.  ;)

I have seen the same, and I found this:

You cannot view this attachment.

However, it's also a model, so no real, hard evidence.
And the only cutaway dwg I can find doesn't really provide any better clues

You cannot view this attachment.

We shall see. I think you did good, but so has the person building the RF-101C above. I wonder where he/she found indata.

Dizzyfugu

That's an early F-101A, so there's little hope for suitable info in the drawing.

However, I did some search for ECM pods on the Voodoo, and this turned up this here:

From a discussion at Britmodeller: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235045454-rf-101c-voodoo-with-ecm-pod/

Pellson

THAT's helpful!!  :thumbsup: Thanks!

(I still love your Rhino Express. Despite it's being grey  ;D )

Dizzyfugu

Grey on retro aircraft is IMHO O.K.!  ;D  And I was apparenrly not too far off with my wing pylon guesses!