RAAF SpectreROO (MD 750 lookalike)

Started by Zero-Sen, July 23, 2021, 07:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero-Sen

Placeholders for my upcomming recce projects...

• 1/100 SpectreROO
  • 1/100 VautourIIR
  • 1/144 Eagle Eye PR.1
Donors for project #1 :

• 1/100 Mig-25 ( AFV Club ), fuselage + nose
  • 1/72  Mirage IIIE/S ( MisterCraft,  Heller mould ), wings + tailfin + supersonic tanks + decals
  • 1/72  Mirage IIIO interchangeable recon nose with panoramic camera ( clear resin from High Planes )

Not sure I will finish one because I am not a modeller, but I'll do my best to learn and gain some skills... ;D

kerick

It looks like an interesting start. Keep us posted on your progress. If you run into trouble I'm sure we can help you out.
" Somewhere, between half true, and completely crazy, is a rainbow of nice colours "
Tophe the Wise

Dizzyfugu

Oh, looking forward to this, because I have a very similar kitbashing (also based on the AFW Foxbat and some Mirage wings!) for a French Mach 3 interceptor paper project model I found in literature.  :angel: Good luck!

DogfighterZen

"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

Zero-Sen

Thank you, I may need some help sooner or later. It will be very useful to me then!

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 24, 2021, 02:42:31 AM
...for a French Mach 3 interceptor paper project model I found in literature...
Maybe this is the MD750 project I am referring to in the title of the thread.

VautourIIR :

• 1/100 Vautour ( Heller )
  • 1/72  Mirage IIIE/S ( MisterCraft,  Heller mould ), recce nose
I was saving the 'Vautour' for another project but the kit is very disappointing (lots of rivets and raised panel lines).
As one can see, the VautourIIR is also a way to recycle the recce nose of the MisterCraft kit.

I glued the Mirage wings to their plasticard base and some pieces of styrene tube in order to smooth the
sharp edges of the fuselage ( region around the MiG-25 wing root ). Also removed about 20 mm of the nose tip.
The decals are those from the MisterCraft kit, the smaller roundels look more suitable for the 1/100 scale. ???

How the plasticard slides inside the fuselage and a fitting test.

I will have to scratch build a leading edge extension. :banghead:

EagleEye PR.1 ( 1/144 project ) :

• 1/144 TSR.2 ( G.W.H. ), fuselage + recce pod
  • 1/250 Concorde ( Herpa plastic desktop model ), wings
... or in 1/72 scale :

• 1/72 TSR.2 ( Airfix ), fuselage
  • 1/144 Concorde ( Revell ), wings

3 view drawing of the EagleEye PR.1 project.

The kit parts for the 1/144 project.
I had to sand the wings the to remove the paint and gloss ( the paint remover did not work :banghead: )

rickshaw

How to reduce carbon emissions - Tip #1 - Walk to the Bar for drinks.

Old Wombat

Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

Dizzyfugu

Quote from: Zero-Sen on July 26, 2021, 07:39:56 PM
Thank you, I may need some help sooner or later. It will be very useful to me then!

Quote from: Dizzyfugu on July 24, 2021, 02:42:31 AM
...for a French Mach 3 interceptor paper project model I found in literature...
Maybe this is the MD750 project I am referring to in the title of the thread.

Yes, that rings a bell (without wanting to look the project's designation up).  :thumbsup:

Zero-Sen

Nice build rickshaw. :thumbsup:
Quote from: rickshaw on July 26, 2021, 09:38:47 PM
https://www.whatifmodellers.com/index.php?topic=31053.0I built one of these a long time ago...

The first time I tried to build mine I used a 1/72 MiG-25 Hasegawa kit and 1/48 wings from an Italeri kit.

People here may not remember, but I also committed those in the past...

NARSES2

I think this is going to be some looker  :thumbsup:
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

ChernayaAkula

Cheers,
Moritz

Must, then, my projects bend to the iron yoke of a mechanical system? Is my soaring spirit to be chained down to the snail's pace of matter?

Pellson

I have the 1/72 MD750 resin kit (Sharkit, I believe?) in my stash, but have yet to muster the courage..  :rolleyes:
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Zero-Sen

I haven't made significant progress so far...
In the meantime, (unless someone else has already thought about it) here is an idea that might be worth our time.

NARSES2

Now that's interesting. The views from above have a very Soviet look to them IMHO, but as soon as you see that vertically stacked twin tail pipes you go "the Brits are here"  ;D

Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

kitbasher

Quote from: Zero-Sen on August 01, 2021, 09:36:50 AM
I haven't made significant progress so far...
In the meantime, (unless someone else has already thought about it) here is an idea that might be worth our time.

Gosh that looks smart.  What are the wings from, please - an A-6?

Asking as my Recce GB Idea #3 is a big-wing Lightning, but making my own wings from plasticard.  Basically Lightning gets the 'F-104 as basis of the U-2' treatment, but this approach is very tempting.
What If? & Secret Project SIG member.
On the go: Beaumaris/Battle/Bronco/Barracuda/F-105(UK)/Flatning/Hellcat IV/Hunter PR11/Hurricane IIb/Ice Cream Tank/JP T4/Jumo MiG-15/M21/P1103 (early)/P1154-ish/Phantom FG1/I-153/Sea Hawk T7/Spitfire XII/Spitfire Tr18/Twin Otter/FrankenCOIN/Frankenfighter