Grumman NRA-6A Trespasser - Finished Pics Pg 5.

Started by zenrat, July 25, 2021, 02:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenrat

And so another one begins...

Grumman A-6A Intruder 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Grumman A-6A Intruder 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

Intruder box is a perfect example of what I like to call the "Box Art & Font" period of Hasegawa graphic design.  The model it contains is also a perfect example... 

...of early Hasegawa kit design - raised detail and limited detail.  So perfect for whiffing.
Viking is there to donate it's flying surfaces.  This will, if I cut where I have planned, result in a (scale) 4.5m increase in wing span.  Suficient, I hope, to keep Kit happy.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

JayBee

No, I truly believe that you should extend the span even further !  :rolleyes:
Alle kunst ist umsunst wenn ein engel auf das zundloch brunzt!!

Sic biscuitus disintegratum!

Cats are not real. 
They are just physical manifestations of collisions between enigma & conundrum particles.

Any aircraft can be improved by giving it a SHARKMOUTH!

DogfighterZen

Fred, haven't you posted this in the wrong GB? I thought the one week Gb was over? Or is there something i'm missing? :unsure:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

zenrat

Bugger, yes.   :banghead:

Shouldn't this be locked though?   :o

Chris, could you move this to the Recce GB pur-lease.   :thumbsup:

Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

DogfighterZen

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2021, 04:12:23 AM

Yeah, i suppose it should, would avoid this type of mishap. So, who's getting flogged for that?  :wacko:
"Sticks and stones may break some bones but a 3.57's gonna blow your damn head off!!"

PR19_Kit

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2021, 02:17:25 AM

This will, if I cut where I have planned, result in a (scale) 4.5m increase in wing span.  Suficient, I hope, to keep Kit happy.

A 4.5 METRE increase in span?   :o

I like the sound of that, but won't it be larger than your whole shed?
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

Dizzyfugu

Oh, an Intruder with Viking wings, perhaps?  :lol:

Is this the Hase A-6 with the canopy consisting of two halves?

NARSES2

Quote from: DogfighterZen on July 25, 2021, 04:34:44 AM
Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2021, 04:12:23 AM

Yeah, i suppose it should, would avoid this type of mishap. So, who's getting flogged for that?  :wacko:

Well not really because some people like to go back and complete their models even if its long after the GB has finished. I normally try and remember to ask if people would like their threads moved if they haven't finished but seldom get any requests to do that.

Anyway I will move this thread Fred  ;)

Chris
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

buzzbomb

Quote from: zenrat on July 25, 2021, 02:17:25 AM
...of early Hasegawa kit design - raised detail and limited detail.  So perfect for whiffing.

That's what I mean, some kits are just the right sort of thing for Whiffing rather than being shunned in a cupboard somewhere as something better is out there and the voices in your head know it.

Both interesting platforms for a Recce or Surveillance bird. :thumbsup:

zenrat

Thanks Chris.

If one was wanting to build a 1/72 Intruder I would not recommend using this Hasegawa kit.

Today I glued the outer sections of the Viking wings to the inner sections of the Intruders.

I'm surprised that Trespasser hasn't been used as an aircraft name before.  I also considered Stalker and Peeping Tom.
I've just been looking at a cutaway of the A-6 to see where to put the cameras.  What a lot of fuel they carried.  And not much space inside for much else.
Options are sacrifice some of the fuselage tankage for a camera bay, put them in the nose in place of the radar, extend the nose and put them in there with the radar, or put them in an external pod of some sort.
A recce bird needs long range so I think the first option is out.  Even though there would be more fuel than standard inside the longer wings.
Radar would also be nice to keep (i'm sure it would come in handy).
When it comes to extending the nose the Intruder radome is an odd, semi triangularish cross section which will be hard to find a match for.  It could be pushed forwards with the gap being filled with pieces of styrene sheet.  I shall have to examine it tomorrow as now it is time for bed.

Fred

NARSES2

Cameras in fuselage and lots of "drop" tanks ? Or cameras in a belly pod which would allow the mission profile to change quite quickly as you could have different types of pod ?
Do not condemn the judgement of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

zenrat

I have had a look at the nose and extending it would be too much of a challenge (there will be enough PSR on this build as it is).
Current favourite is a belly mounted pod (possibly using magnets so I can remove it).

Here''s a mock up with the new wings and tails.
NRA-6 Trespasser WIP 28-07-2021 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

NARSES2

Quote from: zenrat on July 28, 2021, 03:39:42 AM
Current favourite is a belly mounted pod (possibly using magnets so I can remove it).

Good idea  :thumbsup:

Those wings will certainly make it look different.

zenrat

Attached the intake splitter plates today.  They both have a sodding great ejector pin mark in the middle of them on the outside right where it will be visible inside the intake.
So they need dealing with before I can glue on the intakes which will obviously need lots of PSR because intake always do.
I also glued three super magnets inside the fuselage.  The belly  mounted conformal camera carrier will have matching magnets inside it.  A trick i've used previously on this, and on a couple of  car builds.
Fred

zenrat

Splitter plate ejector pin holes filled and sanded and painted.
Inside of intakes painted.
Exhausts glued on.
Adding of extra detail to the cockpit begun.
Canopy halves glued together.
Fred