Grumman NRA-6A Trespasser - Finished Pics Pg 5.

Started by zenrat, July 25, 2021, 02:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on July 27, 2021, 03:46:49 AM
Thanks Chris.

If one was wanting to build a 1/72 Intruder I would not recommend using this Hasegawa kit.

Today I glued the outer sections of the Viking wings to the inner sections of the Intruders.

I'm surprised that Trespasser hasn't been used as an aircraft name before.  I also considered Stalker and Peeping Tom.
I've just been looking at a cutaway of the A-6 to see where to put the cameras.  What a lot of fuel they carried.  And not much space inside for much else.
Options are sacrifice some of the fuselage tankage for a camera bay, put them in the nose in place of the radar, extend the nose and put them in there with the radar, or put them in an external pod of some sort.
A recce bird needs long range so I think the first option is out.  Even though there would be more fuel than standard inside the longer wings.
Radar would also be nice to keep (i'm sure it would come in handy).
When it comes to extending the nose the Intruder radome is an odd, semi triangularish cross section which will be hard to find a match for.  It could be pushed forwards with the gap being filled with pieces of styrene sheet.  I shall have to examine it tomorrow as now it is time for bed.

It's a shame really that you didn't start with a Prowler: then you could have put the cameras in place of the back seats.

I suspect that in real life, they'd put them in the nose in place of the radar and/or in the rear fuselage in place of black boxes, keeping just nav, but not nav/attack functions, maybe with a small weather/nav radar retained in the tip of the nose (it could even be a 'pimple' radome like a Vulcan's TFR).

Easy alternative: whacking great SLAR pods on the outer wing pylons and tanks on the inners. Make it a USN equivalent to the U-2S/TR-1A.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

It'll be taking high resolution photos with long lenses from high altitude.  Trials showed that cameras in pods on wing hardpoints were subject to vibration.  Not much, but enough to blur the pics.
Internal cameras were proposed for production aircraft, but for the development airframes a belly mounted conformal pod was used.
Fred

- Can't be bothered to do the proper research and get it right.

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat industries:  We're everywhere...for your convenience..

Weaver

Quote from: zenrat on August 02, 2021, 04:45:19 AM
It'll be taking high resolution photos with long lenses from high altitude.  Trials showed that cameras in pods on wing hardpoints were subject to vibration.  Not much, but enough to blur the pics.
Internal cameras were proposed for production aircraft, but for the development airframes a belly mounted conformal pod was used.

Yeah, another limitation of the Intruder airframe is that you could only really snap pics straight down from the rear fuselage. A LOROP camera  in the back would be looking sideways through the jetwash. A pod is the only way to get a side view other than using the nose.
"Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot."
 - Sandman: A Midsummer Night's Dream, by Neil Gaiman

"I dunno, I'm making this up as I go."
 - Indiana Jones

zenrat

Having previously glued on the intakes anding began in earnest today.
This kit has the worst combination of model kit vices - bad fit and hard plastic.  I attacked it with sanding pads and eventually removed most of the raised detail and got it to the stage where putty is needed for the low points.
Then, I glued a wing on.
Fred

Another ill conceived, lazily thought out, crudely executed and badly painted piece of half arsed what-if modelling muppetry from zenrat industries.

zenrat

Fred

buzzbomb

Marvellous.... in my best Richie Benaud ;)

Gondor

My Ability to Imagine is only exceeded by my Imagined Abilities

Gondor's Modelling Rule Number Three: Everything will fit perfectly untill you apply glue...

I know it's in a book I have around here somewhere....

Old Wombat

Quote from: zenrat on August 08, 2021, 03:30:30 AM
It now has two wings and both stabs. 

And a butt-ton of PSR in your future! :wacko:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Thanks folks.

Quote from: Old Wombat on August 08, 2021, 06:55:20 AM
Quote from: zenrat on August 08, 2021, 03:30:30 AM
It now has two wings and both stabs. 

And a butt-ton of PSR in your future! :wacko:

Yes, but it shouldn't be too onerous as it's simply extending the profile of the Viking wings to the Intruder fuselage.  Much easier than blending a C130 nacelle into a Catalina (for example).
I will, at the same time sand all the raised detail off the wings.
Fred

zenrat

The current state of play after the second round of PSR.
Trespasser WIP 18-08-2021 01 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr

And a mock up with additional parts.
Trespasser WIP 18-08-2021 02 by Fred Maillardet, on Flickr
Fred

Old Wombat

:mellow:

I like the name; Intruder, Prowler, Trespasser ... It flows! :thumbsup:
Has a life outside of What-If & wishes it would stop interfering!

"The purpose of all War is Peace" - St. Augustine

veritas ad mortus veritas est

zenrat

Thanks Womby.  I must admit to using a thesaurus for this one.

Stalker was also considered.
Fred

PR19_Kit

That looks so right it's difficult to believe it's a Whiff!  :o
Kit's Rule 1 ) Any aircraft can be improved by fitting longer wings, and/or a longer fuselage
Kit's Rule 2) The backstory can always be changed to suit the model

...and I'm not a closeted 'Take That' fan, I'm a REAL fan! :)

Regards
Kit

buzzbomb

Well that really came up a treat. nice work